i think tiger | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i think tiger

What

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey PGA - you do realize every single one of your events is televised and the tournament officials are keeping score correct? Get rid of the stupid rule requiring golfers to keep their own score and risk being penalized if they turn in an incorrect scorecard. I can't think of anything positive that comes from this rule but lots of negative can come from it as we are seeing right now.

And as Bubba Watson said today, how in the hell do the viewers get to call in possible rules violations?! Can you imagine what would have happened if they allowed that in college basketball? All of us would be on the phone. Isn't that why they have officials at the event?

They pointed out the Masters, unlike the other majors, doesn't have official rules guys walking the course. That's got to change. I think the rule should be that if a violation isn't cited before the end of the round, it can't be punished. The officials should be making the calls, not the fans.

His "confession" steers it away from an outright cheating episode, but its quite possible he intended to give himself an advantage, and that's not good.

Most players do on normal drops. They try to drop on the best lie possible within a club length. They try to get a drop call if it will get a better lie. This is not considered as disengenous in any way and is always applauded by broadcasters and analysts. i.e "Using the rules to help you".

Tiger was in an "on the spot" sitatuion so he made a mistake, but to claim players never use rules to there advantage is totally incorrect when it comes to drops.

Most players do on normal drops. They try to drop on the best lie possible within a club length. They try to get a drop call if it will get a better lie. This is not considered as disengenous in any way and is always applauded by broadcasters and analysts. i.e "Using the rules to help you".

Tiger was in an "on the spot" sitatuion so he made a mistake, but to claim players never use rules to there advantage is totally incorrect when it comes to drops.

Using the rules to your advantage means knowing the rules and choosing your best option accordingly. Completely legit as you said. Giving yourself an advantage can be anything from outright cheating (e.g. improving your lie) to completely honest (e.g. choosing the most favorable of 3 drop options.) What Tiger did pushed the envelope in my view.

If Tiger didn't have a history of bending the rules this wouldn't be such a hot topic for his detractors. Tiger is the only player you'll see do something like this and get away with it. The first time I concluded I was not a Tiger fan was around 10 years ago when he shamelessly employed the gallery to move a giant boulder blocking his shot and cited it as a "loose impediment". No other player would ever consider exploiting a rule like that.

Back then, he bent the rules in his favor. This time, he broke the rules and lucked out with things in his favor again. Had he done the exact same thing last year before the rule change to give the tournament discretion he would have been DQ'd.

[also note; if not for a fan calling in to CBS overnight they never would have reviewed it or penalized him. He would have gotten completely away with breaking a rule every moderately informed golfer is fully aware of]

Hey PGA - you do realize every single one of your events is televised and the tournament officials are keeping score correct? Get rid of the stupid rule requiring golfers to keep their own score and risk being penalized if they turn in an incorrect scorecard. I can't think of anything positive that comes from this rule but lots of negative can come from it as we are seeing right now.

And as Bubba Watson said today, how in the hell do the viewers get to call in possible rules violations?! Can you imagine what would have happened if they allowed that in college basketball? All of us would be on the phone. Isn't that why they have officials at the event?

Craig Stadler was once disqualified from a tournament because he was getting ready to kneel to hit a ball from under a tree, and he placed a towel between his knee and the ground to keep from getting his pants dirty. A fan called in and said that Stadler was building his stance which is illegal. PGA agreed and disqualified Stadler. The cost for keeping his pants clean was 37 K. Agree with Bubba, fans should not get to call rule violations and some common sense should be applied when interpreting the rules.

“I’m a pro now, since ’89,’’ said Ernie Els. “I’ve never seen a guy sign for a scorecard and then come back and play the next day after a rules infringement. It’s as simple as that. Nothing against nobody. The rules of the game is there, and it’s always been there, and this has never happened.’’
The scorecard was incorrect because the tournament OFFICIALS told him no penalty when he asked them if the way he scored that hole was correct. They said yes. So now people want him DQed because he didn't go against the ruling.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

The scorecard was incorrect because the tournament OFFICIALS told him no penalty when he asked them if the way he scored that hole was correct. They said yes. So now people want him DQed because he didn't go against the ruling.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

That was his saving grace, and the irony of the whole situation. If no one at home had called in and alerted the rules committee, they would not have ever seen need to issue a ruling. Then, when Tiger incriminated himself in the interview, it would have blown up and he would have been DQ'd. His bacon was saved by a new clemency rule used to protect against overzealous fans, yet here they unintentionally saved him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom