I think we could be looking at 9 or 10 deep next year, as well | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think we could be looking at 9 or 10 deep next year, as well

Wasn't Gorman redshirted like his Soph or Junior year cause we were top heavy up front and he was healthy too?
Gorman was the one who requested the redshirt, if I recall correctly.

Plausible RF but that speculation is based on a lot of IFS as you note. i just don't see it happening.

Is it possible Boeheim hasn't redshirted healthy guys because he's never had this much depth up to now?

They need to continue to develop Keita even if Noel signs. To not do that will take the team a step back. Southerland imho is playing above his level. He does a great job but I'm think he has reached his ceiling.

I'm not sure I agree with either of the points in this post.

Southerland playing above his level? Based on what? All he did this year was improve his defense and rebounding and score 7 ppg in 16 mpg despite a massive shooting slump mid-season. If all he is next season is slightly more consistent, it's not crazy at all to think he could score around 10 ppg in 25 mpg and shoot more like 38-40% from three. I mean, he averaged close to 9 ppg in his last eight games as it was.

And why does everyone associate redshirting with "not developing"? If Noel comes here (the only way he redshirts), Keita's still practicing vs. Noel, Xmas and Coleman every day and working on his body, he's just not participating in the 35-40 games they play. Game minutes are valuable, but I don't see any reason he'd regress in that scenario.

and a lotta good it did gorman...NOT. keita was our best center postseason. not even debatable.

I'm not sure what Keita being our best center in the postseason really means. He was better than the guy who got kicked off, the frosh who was brought along slowly and the guys playing small forward? I mean, your point isn't debatable and I like Keita, but I wouldn't call the chances of his being the fourth of four options at C all that unlikely.

well fab f@cked up yes. the moose outplayed xmas head to head all season long. coleman is undoubtably unproven and to me looks a little rotund. and nerlens is let's face it a longshot.
so based on my own observations above and not what ifs the moose right now is our #1 center.

and a lotta good it did gorman...NOT. keita was our best center postseason. not even debatable.
But the point is not that BMK isn't any good, it is that it would be a waste of using him as the 3rd, or possibly, 4th center.

If Noel comes then NN, DC2 and Rak would be plenty at the 5. You don't need BMK. BMK is a good backup center and will be even better as he gets stronger (I don't know if his body type will put on weight very easily, but he will, at a minimum, get stronger).

Redshirting BMK would be a move with the future in mind. It would be like the RS of Cooney. A good player saved for future use because the current year is loaded at their position.

An additional benefit of NN coming here would be SU having BMK in the '14-'15 season (and a better BMK at that).

Similarly in '15-'16 while enjoying WhiteHots senior season, hopefully we will remember to think back and thank Scoop and Dion for returning for this past season. That made us unexpectantly loaded at guard - I doubt JB or Cooney thought that was going to happen. Their return not only helped make for a historic season, but may also help contribute to stronger SU squads down the road.

well fab f@cked up yes. the moose outplayed xmas head to head all season long. coleman is undoubtably unproven and to me looks a little rotund. and nerlens is let's face it a longshot.
so based on my own observations above and not what ifs the moose right now is our #1 center.

Absolutely, if this scenario plays out you're definitely correct. I guess my point is that any scenario like this has just as many IFs as RF's scenario. I mean, unless you know something I don't about the recruitment of Noel (which perhaps you do) and/or the development of Xmas. I don't see how Xmas improving significantly (and I think we can all agree he has a greater offensive upside) or Coleman coming in ready to contribute in a 12-14 mpg type way (we all know Cal doesn't generally waste time on guys who aren't ready to contribute very, very early) are any bigger IFs than the opposite (Coleman being a waste of space as a frosh and Xmas treading water or regressing).

hey i'm a big big rak xmas fan. the way jb used him this year was to me disgraceful. big upside.
but if on the slim off chance that nerlens noel does commit (just do it) and decides to come to the cuse the obvious redshirt choice should be the other lesser freshman dajuan coleman. no?

No, I'd be shocked as well. I freely admit that I say that without knowing a thing about Grant's game, but when you consider the huge step forward Southerland took this year as well as the fact that Fair has logged close to 1600 minutes in two years on campus -- it just seems like minutes are going to be hard to come by for the third option at the 3.

I think Grant will play at least as much as Joseph did his first year. Grant is a better athlete, and is more credentialed than Joseph was, coming from the same league (DC Catholic School league). He's already at least as good at rebounding and defending/shot blocking IMO, though doesn't have the shooting range (yet). He's a sick dunker and will James some competition in pregame on that front. He tended to play his best in the biggest games, and DeMatha plays in plenty of them, has the great bloodlines and a nice upside. He could fill out and become a traditional 4. I think he will surprise in a good way.

well if on the slim off chance that nerlens noel does commit (just do it) and decides to come to the cuse the obvious redshirt choice should be the other lesser freshman dajuan coleman. no?
Absolutely not - you don't redshirt DC2, he's a McD! And I expect he will be the most game ready of our recent McD bigs. But even if he isn't, you don't redshirt McDs, you just don't. JB knows this. As a matter of fact, you might just start McDs even if they don't deserve it. It's just what you have to do in today's environment, recruiting is a tricky thing these days, don't mess with the McDs.

Like this past year, we were loaded at guard. But Cooney got redshirted over over MCW even those Cooney had the more desirable skills for our team - the needed 3 point shot. But MCW was a McD. McD's are probably all secretly wondering how long they have to stay in school before they can declare.

So, if NN came here. The abundance of talent at the 5 would allow SU to redshirt some of its talent. Since Rak and DC2 are both McDs the only candidate would be BMK.

Absolutely not - you don't redshirt DC2, he's a McD! And I expect he will be the most game ready of our recent McD bigs. But even if he isn't, you don't redshirt McDs, you just don't. JB knows this. As a matter of fact, you might just start McDs even if they don't deserve it. It's just what you have to do in today's environment, recruiting is a tricky thing these days, don't mess with the McDs.

Like this past year, we were loaded at guard. But Cooney got redshirted over over MCW even those Cooney had the more desirable skills for our team - the needed 3 point shot. But MCW was a McD. McD's are probably all secretly wondering how long they have to stay in school before they can declare.

So, if NN came here. The abundance of talent at the 5 would allow SU to redshirt some of its talent. Since Rak and DC2 are both McDs the only candidate would be BMK.

so you're just too ashamed to say outright that we just recruited over a earlier 4* local guy commitment. maybe we could just play him for 30 seconds at the tip and then sit him out for the rest of the game. that's been done before.

so you're just too ashamed to say outright that we just recruited over a earlier 4* local guy commitment. maybe we could just play him for 30 seconds at the tip and then sit him out for the rest of the game. that's been done before.
Why would I be ashamed? I don't get that. DC2 is a McD. As I explained, he is not redshirting. There is the possibility he could start and be pulled quickly depending on how he performs. This has been the recent norm. I think DC2 and Noel would break that trend.

Also for the record, I believe DC2, will be the best offensive center of the latest round of McD bigs. So, if BMK had a problem it would be because he would feel Rak should be RSd. But I don't get that vibe from BMK.

I think Grant will play at least as much as Joseph did his first year. Grant is a better athlete, and is more credentialed than Joseph was, coming from the same league (DC Catholic School league). He's already at least as good at rebounding and defending/shot blocking IMO, though doesn't have the shooting range (yet). He's a sick dunker and will James some competition in pregame on that front. He tended to play his best in the biggest games, and DeMatha plays in plenty of them, has the great bloodlines and a nice upside. He could fill out and become a traditional 4. I think he will surprise in a good way.

KJ didn't have CJ Fair and James Southerland ahead of him his Freshman year either though. We didn't have a true 3 playing on the 2008 team. Unless Grant gives us alot more than Southerland can next year, why waste the RS year?

Does Keita have a high metabolism? That could factor in why he doesn't gain much weight.

I think MCW will get BE most improved player award.

Getting Noel will be huge.
I agree that one of our bigs will play the four unless Grant shows he can hit the boards, play some scrappy ball, and give some offense. Then it is possible Grant Fair and James will be our three forward rotation.

I don't see Rak as a four because he is made to block shots and rebound at the five. He hasn't shown the rebounding ability at the four that JB will be looking for from our bigs. I would like to see Keita try some four if Noel decides to redshirt for us (joking).
But seriously Keita likes to jump into crowds, block off recovery defense, block shots off of one foot more then Rak does, which are traits of a four. And he likes to slide some. While you don't need to slide as a wing in the zone it makes you a better defender when you do. Rak was more of a anchor this year IMO.

But the problem with Rak at the five leaves the question, Will Dajuan and Rak be on the floor together? Maybe DC's boxing out and strong armlength to do so will light a spark for Rak to play the four. We will see though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom