I want to see 50 3-pointers a game | Syracusefan.com

I want to see 50 3-pointers a game

OrangeFoo

All American
if we hit 40% that's 60 points right there and we just need another 10 buckets max which we can get off run outs. Let's go all in on pace and space and 10 seconds or less and become the golden state warriors of college hoops. I love it. Not sure how many games we would win but it fun as hell to watch. This team has a limited ceiling if we don't do something drastic so we might as well have fun doing it.

I wish a certain hard nosed coach would realize the same thing about his team and let it rip,

if we hit 40% that's 60 points right there and we just need another 10 buckets max which we can get off run outs. Let's go all in on pace and space and 10 seconds or less and become the golden state warriors of college hoops. I love it. Not sure how many games we would win but it fun as hell to watch. This team has a limited ceiling if we don't do something drastic so we might as well have fun doing it.

I wish a certain hard nosed coach would realize the same thing about his team and let it rip,

I am quite certain in my believe that it would not be fun to watch!

Its a good title. When we shoot from two 44% on maybe 60 attempts per game is the norm every year. That is about 53 points off the top of my head. The rest will come from free throws and a couple of and ones. On more high scoring games there is more fg attempts.

Any way you slice it 50% from two is equal to 33.3 from three. Whether its 30 shots or 50. Just take good shots and don't be streaky.

As for being fun to watch the more fun games are against teams that don't waste 30 seconds on the shot clock thats the way it is. When we miss threes opponents are going to pass it around and try to score and we have to watch for 30 seconds of them doing so. Its just the way it is.

Last edited:
I recall a school or two years back (Loyola Marymount?) who often scored 150-160 points a game, but we never heard of them going far during the post-season.

I recall a school or two years back (Loyola Marymount?) who often scored 150-160 points a game, but we never heard of them going far during the post-season.
How many did they give up thats alot of quick shooting on both ends they would lose by 50 if they tried pulling that against a good zone.

We wouldn't get enough possessions as long as we stay in the zone on defense.

They went to the E8 the year Hank Gathers died...

Calm down Beevis! Teams that live and die with the 3-pointer lose a lot of games. Before we get too giddy over 3-point potentials we have to see how our teams does against teams that are better on defense. Although Lehigh played a very good game we still have to see how our teams does against high caliber competition. This team needs a lot of work. That said, I'm sure we will see one or two games with insane 3-point shooting. Hopefully it will happen against a team like UNC or Duke rather than a team like GT.

Last edited:
They went to the E8 the year Hank Gathers died...

They went to the Elite 8 and did so without their best player. But people who are holding them up as a model for us shooting a high percentage of our attempts from 3 don't remember that team correctly.

They scored a crap load of points, that is correct. I think it was 122.4 points per game that season.

However, they didn't do it by indiscriminately launching 3s. Less than 25% of their field goal attempts came from behind the arc. 580 of 2368 attempts. And, oh yeah, they made those at a 40% clip. But they also shot 53% overall from the field on their 2368 field goal attempts.

Compare that with the 65% of our shots that came from behind the arc on Friday night.

LMU shot a lot of 3s but in a reasonable proportion to the scoring they were getting from inside the arc. You need to have balance. You become very easy to defend if you are a one trick pony and your opponent knows what you are going to try to do every time down the court.

To all the folks who think we are going to lose a lot of games if we rely on the 3 ball... guess what? We're going to lose a lot of games no matter what we do. We have a team with no inside post presence to speak of and a bunch of guards who as a group have very limited ability to attack the basket off the dribble. The only way we're going to do anything this year is by volume shooting 3 pointers... even our hall of fame head coach has said the same thing.

I was only, somewhat jokingly, saying that if we're going down this route we should go all in. On a more serious note.. if I had to guess the most important stats that correlate to winning for us this year its going to be: defensive rebounding, steals, fast break points and possessions per game. Basically we need to really speed up the game to maximize our possessions per game, grab whatever boards are there for the taking and take the first shot we get on offense. I'm thinking the Suns 7 seconds or less offense. If we play our usual style of the last few games and try to grind out games we are toast.

This will be a fun team to watch but I'm not to worried about being in front of a tv for the selection show this year.

Holy cow. I remember Hank, but not their tournament play that year. Thanks for the correction.

Check out the 30 for 30 Guro of Go. Pretty awesome, it shows a lot of the Loyola years and Coach Westhead's "system" offense.

While I think it was a great idea back then, I really think athletes today are much more conditioned and there are so many more time outs during games keeping the better opponents on the floor. Don't think it works in today's game.

Fifty 3-pointers a game would bore us to death. Unless we're remarkably accurate from deep, I think we'll appreciate a well-rounded offense over a lot of up-chucking. Our challenge is to develop an inside and mid-range game.

It wouldn't bore me.
Hit 3-4 in a row and go on some 8/9 to 0 runs throughout the game with the possibility of going on 14-15 point runs. Stir up the defense. I just want us to win it doesn't have to be the most flashy ball.

The score is what riles people up.

In 1990 Loyola Marymount lost the #1 scorer and rebounder in the nation (Hank Gathers) before the tournament. They still made Elite 8. They still have the NCAA record at 122 points a game. I'd emulate that. For those of you who don't remember, they were fun to watch.

33% of 50 three pointers is 15X3=48-51pts.

50% of 50 2 pt shots is 50pts.

We don't have the horses inside to hit 50% inside the arc.

I trust JBs math.
:) and one out of 20 years we might shoot 50%. 41-44 percent most years.

They went to the Elite 8 and did so without their best player. But people who are holding them up as a model for us shooting a high percentage of our attempts from 3 don't remember that team correctly.

They scored a crap load of points, that is correct. I think it was 122.4 points per game that season.

However, they didn't do it by indiscriminately launching 3s. Less than 25% of their field goal attempts came from behind the arc. 580 of 2368 attempts. And, oh yeah, they made those at a 40% clip. But they also shot 53% overall from the field on their 2368 field goal attempts.

Compare that with the 65% of our shots that came from behind the arc on Friday night.

LMU shot a lot of 3s but in a reasonable proportion to the scoring they were getting from inside the arc. You need to have balance. You become very easy to defend if you are a one trick pony and your opponent knows what you are going to try to do every time down the court.
I didn't see this. Sorry. However, I will say that as phenomenal as that team was, everybody went at them like they were going to outscore them. The beauty of shooting a lot from 3, is that 1) we will start getting really good at doing it and 2) it will scare the crap out of our opponents. With practice comes consistency. If we shoot 30 to 35 a game. We'll make 40 - 45% by the time the ACC rolls around.

I didn't see this. Sorry. However, I will say that as phenomenal as that team was, everybody went at them like they were going to outscore them. The beauty of shooting a lot from 3, is that 1) we will start getting really good at doing it and 2) it will scare the crap out of our opponents. With practice comes consistency. If we shoot 30 to 35 a game. We'll make 40 - 45% by the time the ACC rolls around.
I think you are who you are as a shooter. Taking more shots in games does not make you a better shooter. Just my $0.02.

40-45% as a team?

I did some quick research on team shooting from 2009-10. Which I would guess was our best shooting team since the 3 point shoot was moved bachk to current distance.

51.3% as a team.

39.1% from 3

56.8% inside the arc.

Those are cra cra numbers. Any team shooting pct over 45% today is great...51.3% is upper echelon.

The 56.8 pct from 2 - phenomenal. But we had Arinze and Wss and that team got a boatload of dunks off transition. It would be very hard to duplicate that efficiency...especially with the current roster.

That team had 6 mismatches that is beyond Huge.
AO/Wes were very strong mimsatches.
We haven't a shooter since Rautins who could shoot against a defender draped all over him nearly as well.
Joseph was a solid mismatch driving from the perimeter and finishing tough around the rim (we have nobody on this team to do that yet)
Scoop became a mismatch later in the year as he drove by his man more and took it into the lane he finished tough layups well.
Rick was argably a mismatch at times as a 4th-5th option just look at his strength.
And they played some tough defense on top of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom