I Was Confident... | Syracusefan.com

I Was Confident...

newmexicuse

All Conference
that after Rak made the go ahead FT that they would not come back down the court & score. Normally, those last seven secs would have been nerve wracking, but not tonight......it was that ugly.

that after Rak made the go ahead FT that they would not come back down the court & score. Normally, those last seven secs would have been nerve wracking, but not tonight...it was that ugly.
I was thinking the same thing. Typically if we were only up one with 12 to play, I'd be completely certain the other team was going to score. Tonight...not so much.

newmexicuse said:
that after Rak made the go ahead FT that they would not come back down the court & score. Normally, those last seven secs would have been nerve wracking, but not tonight...it was that ugly.

Same here, I didn't think for a second they were going to hit a shot. I was nervous about them going to the line but that's about it.

Same here, I didn't think for a second they were going to hit a shot. I was nervous about them going to the line but that's about it.
Exactly. That's why, when the whistle blew and the ball went flying, I was thinking "holy crap please don't say that was in the act..."

I dont know, the fact that they couldn't hit anything all night made me worry that they were due for a banked in 3 at the buzzer...

can someone explain to me what the foul on Cooney with 6.5 seconds left looked like on tv?

can someone explain to me what the foul on Cooney with 6.5 seconds left looked like on tv?

He may have gotten the ball cleanly but it wasn't a great look even on the replay. The issue was that he was at that point behind the offensive player and reaching in which is almost always called plus we had one to give which usually the refs know and expect.

It was a poor call. The guy completely lost the dribble, with the ball going out of control way over his head--should have been a turnover. Cooney deflected it, but it seemed like more of an anticipatory whistle than anything.

Fortunately, we had a foul to give, so that play didn't hurt us [luckily]. It just ended up with them burning 6 seconds and having to take the ball out of bounds. It is very noteworthy to mention that Gbinije made a great defensive play on the ball to deflect the shot attempt at the end.

I don't remember a game where BOTH teams were under the limit at the end of a second half like we and GT were last night. Odd.

The best part for us was that they didn't get a shot off with time to rebound which was do to our foul to give being done very well and then good inbounds defense. That was my worry an offensive rebound.

He may have gotten the ball cleanly but it wasn't a great look even on the replay. The issue was that he was at that point behind the offensive player and reaching in which is almost always called plus we had one to give which usually the refs know and expect.

Gotcha... Live (and 40 rows up) it didnt look like Cooney reached in. It just looked like the kid over dribbled.

It was a poor call. The guy completely lost the dribble, with the ball going out of control way over his head--should have been a turnover. Cooney deflected it, but it seemed like more of an anticipatory whistle than anything.

Fortunately, we had a foul to give, so that play didn't hurt us [luckily]. It just ended up with them burning 6 seconds and having to take the ball out of bounds.

I don't remember a game where BOTH teams were under the limit at the end of a second half like we and GT were last night. Odd.

Thats exactly what it looked like to me live.

Gotcha... Live (and 40 rows up) it didnt look like Cooney reached in. It just looked like the kid over dribbled.

He did but Cooney was trying to reach for the ball at the same time. So it was hard to tell and certainly didn't look like a foul.

I wasn't confident at all. For some reason, the game felt like as ugly as we both were, GT would hit the game winner in some unbelievable fashion - like hitting that final 3 point shot.

Ditto. I was sure that they would get a bail out call and go to the line to win the game.

I was panicking and was fearing an offensive rebound and putback. They did get the rebound but thankfully ran out of time.
This.. that game screamed airball with a few seconds left, straight to a GT player for a lay in at the buzzer

Cooney gave him a forearm but it looked like the Tech player had lost his dribble by that point.

No complaint here (though it's not a call that was made for most of the game).

I was 100% confident they were not going to make a shot. I was also 100% confident they were going to corral the offensive rebound and score at the buzzer. Glad I was wrong about that one (but almost right).

Just a little change of subject but still about Rak, but how big was that shot he hit right before the halftime buzzer turn out to be.