I was reading that Pitt coach Todd Graham has voluntary bible study | Syracusefan.com

I was reading that Pitt coach Todd Graham has voluntary bible study

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
classes... Seems a bit odd for a school like Pittsburgh. Some are saying they may not be all that "voluntary". You aren't in Oklahoma anymore or the South.. I think he is a bit of a fish out of water here, who knows maybe he will be able to recruit in the South with this approach and the ACC.

I know there are plenty of worse things and christians will get upset but I think there is a time and place for this, why is it that many born agains have to spread the word to many who have no interest

No Christians in Pittsburgh?

I don't know if bible classes were part of the recruiting pitch for many of these kids... A kid shouldn't feel that playing time may depend on him attending a bible study class even in a round about way. If he was athiest would Graham still play him? Leave your religion at home and if this is a requirement then people should know about it. Bunch of nonsense for him to be pushing his agenda, these kids are in college let them form their own ideas, if a kid goes to a class and says coach this isn't for me, I don't believe in this stuff, will Graham just say OK, I highly doubt it

Hey Jim Tressel was a christian too- just ask him

I don't know if bible classes were part of the recruiting pitch for many of these kids... A kid shouldn't feel that playing time may depend on him attending a bible study class even in a round about way. If he was athiest would Graham still play him? Leave your religion at home and if this is a requirement then people should know about it. Bunch of nonsense for him to be pushing his agenda, these kids are in college let them form their own ideas, if a kid goes to a class and says coach this isn't for me, I don't believe in this stuff, will Graham just say OK, I highly doubt it

Pushing his agenda? It's voluntary bible classes... Might make some of these kids feel a little more at home.. If that is the way they were raised. I see no problem with it

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=64.844839,-147.863878

Todd Graham is an idiot, and it has nothing to do with his religious beliefs. Guy is in over his head at Pitt.

what if you don't attend any of them? How is that looked at

Born again or evangelical Christians would never stigmatize or pressure those who do not follow their faith.

Its ridiculous that any coach in any sport would push something like this that could be divisive or exclude members of the team.

I guess that is the million dollar question... If there are repercussions for not attending, then I agree, it's not right. But how do we know that its not a "hey guys, this class is available, if you want to join us great, if not, that's fine too"

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=64.844808,-147.863774

what if you don't attend any of them? How is that looked at

You'll burn in hell, like all the rest of the blasphemers.

Also, I have it on good authority that bible study class is the only time they work on the hail mary packages...

Maybe he should have the kids stop reading the Bible, and read up on his playbook. Because, the Bible doesn't seem to be working.

What would the Comments be if they had a Voluntary Koran Class? and 3 times a day had to bow ,face Mecca and pray.

What would the Comments be if they had a Voluntary Koran Class? and 3 times a day had to bow ,face Mecca and pray.

Be it the Bilble, Koran, Karl Marx Happy Fun Hour, or the Pitt Football gay-straight alliance - these types of activities should not be coming from any coach. Really, coaches shouldn't even participate in these groups.

If a group of players wants a Bible study group, then that's fine. If another group of players would rather hire two strippers to do a full on girl-on-girl show, then that's fine so long as no laws are otherwise broken. Regardless, coaches shouldn't participate in either activity.

Where did you read this? On the internet? Credible news source? Or, troll on the PITT board? Link please.

I never liked the hire to begin with. Only time will tell but certainly not off to a promising start

Didn't realize how much anti-religion sentiment there is here on the board. I read the title and thought the comment was going to be "why doesn't Marrone do this?"

Whats the big deal? People are jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

If it was voluntary why should it matter? Just because you don't believe doesn't mean others don't.

If players want to go, they'll go. I doubt there are playing time implications. Ridiculous.

Excuse me very much...I'm new about English in your country. :)
Please to tell me, does voluntary mean you have to do it? :noidea:
They tell me to come to America where voluntary means what you want to do.
Is Ithaca in America?

I think we've all been involved in something that was labeled 'Voluntary', which in fact, reflected badly on you if you chose not to 'volunteer'. I think that was what some of the posters here were saying.

I think you're really, really jumping to conclusions here.

Kind of an odd rant to be having on this forum, quite frankly.

Years ago I had a client where the entire company had prayer session every morning before the workday started. This was not a small company, but rather a major manufacturer of infant cribs and strollers. Everyone they hired knew exactly what occurred every morning and they had no hiring problems. I think it would be naive to think that the recruits to the Pitt program, if the original post is true, are not fully aware what goes on prior to their commitment. No one is forcing them to commit to that football program. More than likely, as was that case of that client, these kids commit there because they like what is being "offered". And BTW, that client wasn't run by a Evangelicals, Muslims or even Hassidic Jews..just Mennonites.

Didn't realize how much anti-religion sentiment there is here on the board. I read the title and thought the comment was going to be "why doesn't Marrone do this?"

Just because someone thinks it is inappropriate for a football coach encourage a specific religion within the team setting does not mean that person is against religion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom