I was so not looking forward to last night's game | Syracusefan.com

I was so not looking forward to last night's game

RF2044

Living Legend
Full disclosure: coming off the discouraging loss on Saturday, and then having to travel on a short turnaround timeframe, I just didn't expect us to have a good performance on the road -- especially given the way we'd played the previous three games.

There is no bigger SU hoops fan on this forum, but I was not looking forward to last night's game. In fact, I was dreading it.

It is amazing how much fun it is to win, and how satisfying it is when the team plays well. That feeling has been in short supply since our F4 run. Nice to be able to enjoy a win this morning, instead of having to deal with a half dozen more "JB should retire immediately" threads.

This team's story is still being written. They have a long way to go, but I think that they can and WILL get it done this year. Have to take care of business against Wake at home, to set the table. Need to capitalize upon this momentum.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Full disclosure: coming off the discouraging loss on Saturday, and then having to travel on a short turnaround timeframe, I just didn't expect us to have a good performance on the road -- especially given the way we'd played the previous three games.

There is no bigger SU hoops fan on this forum, but I was not looking forward to last night's game. In fact, I was dreading it.

It is amazing how much fun it is to win, and how satisfying it is when the team plays well. That feeling has been in short supply since our F4 run. Nice to be able to enjoy a win this morning, instead of having to deal with a half dozen more "JB should retire immediately" threads.

This team's story is still being written. They have a long way to go, but I think that they can and WILL get it done this year. Have to take care of business against Wake at home, to set the table. Need to capitalize upon this momentum.

Let's Go Orange!!!

It's interesting how so many fans here (even well respected posters as yourself) feel the need to preface or state in their post the: "there's no bigger SU fan than me, or on this board, etc." or else face the wrath of the usual suspects when making criticizing remarks and/or observations.

Right there with you. I was running errands with the wife and told her to take her time cause I wasn't worried about getting home to watch the game. First time I can recall saying those words. I was happy with the result but am still not convinced it was an abnormality. Here's hoping we can build off this and don't lay a goose egg against Wake.

Right there with you. I was running errands with the wife and told her to take her time cause I wasn't worried about getting home to watch the game. First time I can recall saying those words. I was happy with the result but am still not convinced it was an abnormality. Here's hoping we can build off this and don't lay a goose egg against Wake.

Dang, you need to be running some more errands come Sunday, say about 1 p.m. and then against State next Wednesday around, say 9 ish? ;):)

I planned not to watch and then got home right at 7 and turned it on because I knew if they won and I didn't see it I would be really mad at myself.

I wasn't planning on watching. My sister came in from out of town and took us out to eat. Just so happened to pick the seat looking directly at the TV which was randomly showing the game. Sat there in astonishment as the game progressed and we were winning.

Ditto. I worked to 7 and anticipated just watching the score updates on gametracker. The last few games and the way they were played took so much out of me. But on the way home I tossed on Matt Park and immediately turned on espn once I got home...In retrospect I guess I was going to watch all along even though I had convinced myself otherwise, at least until it got ugly...which it did not. As i said in another thread, extremely satisfying win that opens the door to positive thoughts going forward. Beat wake.

Dang, you need to be running some more errands come Sunday, say about 1 p.m. and then against State next Wednesday around, say 9 ish? ;):)
I'm helping a friend move on Sunday so will probably not be able to watch the Wake game. If they win and look good doing it then I may start to get superstitious that I'm part of the problem.

Let's Go Orange!!!
I'm right there with you. I had some good deals close at work and was having a good day. I was thinking to myself I wish the game was tomorrow so I could go home and enjoy some time with the family and not think about it. I never thought about not watching but was not looking forward to it. It was a great win and very unexpected. Hopefully we can build on it and get some home wins. One thing I like about this team is how hard they play and they really are doing their best considering all of the things that have happened personal wise.

Is anyone else like this; I was dreading the game so much I watched most of it on mute. I dont even think that makes any sense but it's what I did.

I'm really glad Louisville, after shredding the zone inside to get within 2, went away from that strategy the last 3 minutes. Thanks Scott!

Don't thank scott! Thank Jimmy B! I don't think louiville really went away from it, i think its more we adjusted our zone to take it away and forced them to beat us from the outside. Was a great adjustment by JB

I'm really glad Louisville, after shredding the zone inside to get within 2, went away from that strategy the last 3 minutes. Thanks Scott!
JB called time out and made some adjustments to stop it. They continued to try to get it inside and wasted some valuable time . Padgett never countered by having his team take the other open shots the adjustments made available to them. He shouldn't buy a better house.

Don't thank scott! Thank Jimmy B! I don't think louiville really went away from it, i think its more we adjusted our zone to take it away and forced them to beat us from the outside. Was a great adjustment by JB
Sorry I didn't read your post before I responded.

JB called time out and made some adjustments to stop it. They continued to try to get it inside and wasted some valuable time . Padgett never countered by having his team take the other open shots the adjustments made available to them. He shouldn't buy a better house.

I saw a lot of quick shots after that. I'm not sure what adjustment you all saw. I think they just stopped doing it. Cause sometimes people get dumb under stress.

Is anyone else like this; I was dreading the game so much I watched most of it on mute. I dont even think that makes any sense but it's what I did.

I do this sometimes when we're on the road and the other team is on a run. Something I used to do as a kid and kept it up. Can't stand the excitement of the crowd and announcers when things are falling apart.

I saw a lot of quick shots after that. I'm not sure what adjustment you all saw. I think they just stopped doing it. Cause sometimes people get dumb under stress.
After the time out by JB at 5:21, 5 0f their next 6 possessions averaged 21 seconds and Marek stole the ball on the other one. Those are not quick shots. Try some windex on your bifocals.

Let's Go Orange!!!

I was totally the same way. Usually once a game ends, I know immediately when the next one is. I woke up yesterday and forgot we played last night until I looked on the internet. I never miss a game but I didn't have very high expectations. I know Virginia is good but struggling to score 44 points really sapped my excitement on top of the previous games when we couldn't score. I'm just thrilled with how we looked though. Very proud of the team and I've got my enthusiasm back and looking forward to seeing if we can keep it up vs Wake.

I was totally the same way. Usually once a game ends, I know immediately when the next one is. I woke up yesterday and forgot we played last night until I looked on the internet. I never miss a game but I didn't have very high expectations. I know Virginia is good but struggling to score 44 points really sapped my excitement on top of the previous games when we couldn't score. I'm just thrilled with how we looked though. Very proud of the team and I've got my enthusiasm back and looking forward to seeing if we can keep it up vs Wake.

I was the same. Came home from In-laws and turned the TV on and the game was on. I forgot all about it. To my surprise We were up by 11 or so with about 7 min. Then we started to let them get back into it and I thought man I should have never started watching!!! Glad I caught it

I was meeting with some college baseball players last night during the game, so had the game DVR’ing. Knew nothing about the score, how it went, etc. until as I was walking out the door to head home one of the players said to me “that was a nice win for the ‘cuse tonight!”... I flew home from there looking forward to watching a nice game I already knew the positive outcome of:cool:

Waiter: "Sir, would you like to order dessert?"
VT: "THROW IT DOWN, CHEWY!!! I'm sorry, what?"
Waiter: [blank stare]
Oh, you know me too well.

I only chuckled to myself when he got blocked early in the game.

After the time out by JB at 5:21, 5 0f their next 6 possessions averaged 21 seconds and Marek stole the ball on the other one. Those are not quick shots. Try some windex on your bifocals.

Should have clarified. Not quick in terms of shot clock, but quick to get the hall out without really getting a good look. Contested is probably a better word.

What possible adjustment could JB have made? Our guards are tall but not near tall enough to stop a pass from getting to either of those big guys.

Good old therapeutic thread! I have , more than I wish to admit, favored in glancing at the ESPN game summary vs turning the game on a few times this season. Tried turning on the UVA game only to have watchespn issues and then checked the ville game score at half. All the sentiments have been echoed that I also share. Can we string together a run to get us over the hump? That seems to be the prevailing question the past 3 years.

Numbers wise, we are in a good position similar to the Final Four year, minus a major signature win vs a ranked opponent. Beat wake and NC State at home and snag that big win and we should be in a really good spot tournament wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom