I wonder... | Syracusefan.com

I wonder...

SWC75

Bored Historian
...How many players on Albany would have been on SU a decade ago. Has the rise of the Albany program weakened ours?

...How many players on Albany would have been on SU a decade ago. Has the rise of the Albany program weakened ours?
I bet it has.
Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but in a nutshell how'd albany(!) get this good and how'd they get the #1 recruit in the nation over the big boys in the sport? My how the times have changed.

You wonder? I wonder if Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St, Norte Dame etc etc... have hurt the SU lacrosse program as well. The only fans more stuck in the past than SU lacrosse fans are SU football fans...

Good lord. SU is no better than any other of the 15-20 programs out there trying to win s national championship anymore.

That said, the more talented team won today. Albany is a much better team. This isn’t 1992

Last edited:
Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but in a nutshell how'd albany(!) get this good and how'd they get the #1 recruit in the nation over the big boys in the sport? My how the times have changed.

Albany put a decent amount of focus on lacrosse; I know when Marr was hired in 2001, he said his goal was to win a national championship at Albany. It actually looked like Albany was going to break through in 2007, but the OT loss in the tourney to Cornell really set them back.

After that, Syracuse started getting back into normal form and Albany has a bunch of down years...but one thing they should get credit for is sticking with Marr. He continued to grind it out and has made great inroads in recruiting as a result. I have no idea how Desko recruits so this may not be fair - but from a distance it looks like Albany (Marr) got to this point by outhustling programs like Syracuse (Desko).

All that said, Albany really needs to get to the final four this year - they’ve blown a bunch of chances recently, I think they need a Final Four banner soon to point to if they are going to sustain their recruiting.

Albany put a decent amount of focus on lacrosse; I know when Marr was hired in 2001, he said his goal was to win a national championship at Albany. It actually looked like Albany was going to break through in 2007, but the OT loss in the tourney to Cornell really set them back.

After that, Syracuse started getting back into normal form and Albany has a bunch of down years...but one thing they should get credit for is sticking with Marr. He continued to grind it out and has made great inroads in recruiting as a result. I have no idea how Desko recruits so this may not be fair - but from a distance it looks like Albany (Marr) got to this point by outhustling programs like Syracuse (Desko).

All that said, Albany really needs to get to the final four this year - they’ve blown a bunch of chances recently, I think they need a Final Four banner soon to point to if they are going to sustain their recruiting.
Albany will get to the Final 4 before SU does, that is for sure.

Could be, but if they don't get there this year, they may never.
They have Nanticoke for 3 more years, they aren't going anywhere but up. I don't think any Orange fans should be trying to throw shade on Albany when we're in the middle of a rain forest.

They have Nanticoke for 3 more years, they aren't going anywhere but up. I don't think any Orange fans should be trying to throw shade on Albany when we're in the middle of a rain forest.
Take a look at their roster, and who they lose after this year. Will they still have Tehoka? Yup. But they lose a ton. If it's not this year, they might have trouble.

And who is throwing shade at Albany? I haven't seen anyone do that. If you think that's what I was doing, try again.

Take a look at their roster, and who they lose after this year. Will they still have Tehoka? Yup. But they lose a ton. If it's not this year, they might have trouble.

And who is throwing shade at Albany? I haven't seen anyone do that. If you think that's what I was doing, try again.
I was referring to CuseFan95, but you make the same point. The point being that Albany is on some slippery slope and it could all go south for them. I don't believe that's the case. Quite the opposite, they are building into a national power. SU on the other hand is sliding down that slope.

I was referring to CuseFan95, but you make the same point. The point being that Albany is on some slippery slope and it could all go south for them. I don't believe that's the case. Quite the opposite, they are building into a national power. SU on the other hand is sliding down that slope.
That's fine. We will see.
upload_2018-2-18_9-56-15.gif

How about the fact that with the reduced scholarships 12.5 total, and the growth of the game, it was inevitable that other teams would start to become competitive. The big boys couldn’t stockpile talent like in the past. Players go where they get money. Cuse has 59 All Americans on their roster. It’s very tough to manage. For those criticizing Desko, how’s Hopkins and UVA doing lately? The sport is changing. This is Albany’s year. I agree with orange79. They better get to the FF. Cuse will be solid in the next few years. Read JeremyCuse recruiting reviews. We have great talent coming in. Before yesterday we were 15-1 against Albany. Not sure all of a sudden they are a significantly better program. Let’s see what happens. Yesterday was def tough to watch though. I’ll give you that.

How about the fact that with the reduced scholarships 12.5 total, and the growth of the game, it was inevitable that other teams would start to become competitive. The big boys couldn’t stockpile talent like in the past. Players go where they get money. Cuse has 59 All Americans on their roster. It’s very tough to manage. For those criticizing Desko, how’s Hopkins and UVA doing lately? The sport is changing. This is Albany’s year. I agree with orange79. They better get to the FF. Cuse will be solid in the next few years. Before yesterday we were 15-1 against Albany. Not sure all of a sudden they are a significantly better program. Let’s see what happens. Yesterday was def tough to watch though. I’ll give you that.
H/T to JeremyCuse who first said what I did. I just plagiarized. ;)

How about the fact that with the reduced scholarships 12.5 total, and the growth of the game, it was inevitable that other teams would start to become competitive..

Unless you can get an academic scholarship, you will have to pay some tuition out of pocket.

SU's tuition is $43,440, plus another $15,200 for room and board.

UAlbany's tuition is $6,470 for a NYS resident, or $21,550 for an out of state kid. Room and board about the same $12,940.

Unless you can get an academic scholarship, you will have to pay some tuition out of pocket.

UAlbany's tuition is $6,470 for a NYS resident, or $21,550 for an out of state kid. Room and board about the same $12,940.

Ding ding we have a winner

Welcome to the wonderful world Title IX has created . My son's school is creating programs for women sports (tumbling..?) while men's sports such as baseball and lacrosse give out 20%-50% schollies or the programs get eliminated entirely. Just so the number of schollies can be made even after 80+ are given to men's football which loses money at the great majority of schools. The non-revenue sports get nothing while the football and basketball athletes cry to be paid. Total BS.

Welcome to the wonderful world Title IX has created . My son's school is creating programs for women sports (tumbling..?) while men's sports such as baseball and lacrosse give out 20%-50% schollies or the programs get eliminated entirely. Just so the number of schollies can be made even after 80+ are given to men's football which loses money at the great majority of schools. The non-revenue sports get nothing while the football and basketball athletes cry to be paid. Total BS.
Ah! The Days of Syracuse Wrestling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom