I Would Die for the Freeze Option Because... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I Would Die for the Freeze Option Because...

Yeah, and Red Sox-Yankees games reflect that. They don't care otherwise.

I agree...explain your Northeast comment. I don't think I get what you are saying.

I agree...explain your Northeast comment. I don't think I get what you are saying.

The reason all games don't have huge ratings is because all games don't have the Red Sox or Yankees in them. No one in New York cares to watch Colorado vs. Kansas City. But people in Tuscaloosa care about watching Oklahoma vs. Texas

Yet amazingly the same good teams are good every year and the shitty teams are bad every year.
Really?

When was the last time a team repeated as Super Bowl Champs?

How many Super Bowl Champs fail to make the play-offs the following year?

Exactly, Michael Vick chose not to come to Syracuse because he did not want to run an option offense.

Same thing with the Holliday (I think that was his name) QB who went to ND - he didn't want to run the option.

And Joe Daily decided at the last moment not to come to Syracuse because of the offensive scheme.

And teams like Florida, Ga Tech, Michigan and WVU could not recruit QBs during those years because their offenses included option football and significant QB rush attempts per game.

Oops.

Wrong on all counts.

I'm not sure if this is a response to my post or not, but once P started moving away from an option-heavy attack, he pulled in Nunes, RJ Anderson, Perry Patterson, MAtt Hale, etc. So whatever scheme we went to obviously didn't solve the recruiting issues. And there are plenty of offenses that are qb run heavy that have had no problem finding QBs -- Meyer's O at Utah and UF, RichRod got White in his short tenure at WVU and they followed up with Geno Smith (though he obviously is more of a passer), Johnson is having success at GT, Kelly at Oregon (which throws a decent amount but asks teh QB to run), Kelly at Cincy (he's had no problem finding dual threat qbs) ... It can be done and is, frequently, done. And whatever offense we switched to hasn't exactly led to QBs lining up at our doors.

I'm not sure if this is a response to my post or not, but once P started moving away from an option-heavy attack, he pulled in Nunes, RJ Anderson, Perry Patterson, MAtt Hale, etc. So whatever scheme we went to obviously didn't solve the recruiting issues. And there are plenty of offenses that are qb run heavy that have had no problem finding QBs -- Meyer's O at Utah and UF, RichRod got White in his short tenure at WVU and they followed up with Geno Smith (though he obviously is more of a passer), Johnson is having success at GT, Kelly at Oregon (which throws a decent amount but asks teh QB to run), Kelly at Cincy (he's had no problem finding dual threat qbs) ... It can be done and is, frequently, done. And whatever offense we switched to hasn't exactly led to QBs lining up at our doors.
Coaches P and D obviously made an effort to accomodate the talent they had at QB.

The option became less prominent because of a lack of quickness at the position. Nunes actually understood the option series pretty well - he just was not physically capable of running it on a consistent basis.

As far as recruiting is concerned, the QB position was essentially the canary in the coal mine - it revealed the fundamental issues with which P and D had to contend - lack of money/facilities/assistant coaching stability/astroturf in the Dome and with Vick and Daily just plain bad luck.

Those were the factors in play, not the offensive system.

Coaches P and D obviously made an effort to accomodate the talent they had at QB.

The option became less prominent because of a lack of quickness at the position. Nunes actually understood the option series pretty well - he just was not physically capable of running it on a consistent basis.

As far as recruiting is concerned, the QB position was essentially the canary in the coal mine - it revealed the fundamental issues with which P and D had to contend - lack of money/facilities/assistant coaching stability/astroturf in the Dome and with Vick and Daily just plain bad luck.

Here we go again...

I don't disagree with any of this -- though I don't think the option hurt us in recruiting QBs as much as you do (I think, if I'm interpreting correctly). The only point I'd quibble with is that the option became less prominent b/c of lack of quickness at the QB position. I tend to feel like they started to feel they had to throw the ball more (probably correctly so) because that was where the game was headed and viewed it as a natural progression with qb like McNabb (rightly so). Regardless, I suppose it's ancient history and doesn't matter much.

I don't disagree with any of this -- though I don't think the option hurt us in recruiting QBs as much as you do (I think, if I'm interpreting correctly). The only point I'd quibble with is that the option became less prominent b/c of lack of quickness at the QB position. I tend to feel like they started to feel they had to throw the ball more (probably correctly so) because that was where the game was headed and viewed it as a natural progression with qb like McNabb (rightly so). Regardless, I suppose it's ancient history and doesn't matter much.
I don't feel that the use of the option hurt recruiting - just to clarify.

I do agree that with McNabb P made a concious effort to incorporate NFL passing elements to the offense.

I know from first-hand discussions that the option was not used as much after that because of the lack of quickness at the position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom