Class of 2027 - Ian VanWagner (Potsdam, NY) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2027 Ian VanWagner (Potsdam, NY)

jordville

Hall of Fame
This North Country kid, Ian VanWagner, deserves his own thread. I'm not saying that he is on the Cuse radar or any HM D1 yet, but I think he'll be a fun player to keep an eye on. He is currently leading Potsdam into the state playoffs after they upset Gouverneur the other night. Ian is an 8th Grader and the best player on the court every night. I know it is Section X but still. He probably was last year playing Varsity as a 7th Grader too (or at least one of them).

Ian is 6 feet and currently averaging over 25 points per game, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals per game. He averaged over 19 points per game as a 7th Grader last season. He is crafty with the ball and can shoot the lights out.

VanWagner also plays QB, is a top golfer, and was quite the lax player (but gave it up to focus on hoops/AAU). He plays for the City Rocks, so he has to make quite the drive to get to practices. Before the City Rocks, he played AAU out of Syracuse.

There isn't a lot of video out there that I've seen. Here is a video from both 7th Grade Varsity (1st 1:57 of the video clip) and the last part are some highlights from his current 8th Grade Varsity...

There are a few videos (swipe to watch them) from Peach Jam this past summer while playing with City Rocks...

0% chance he finishes his HS career in Potsdam. Playing on City Rocks will definitely help him at the next level. In those IG clips he looks like a legit hooper.

VanWagner had 15 points, 7 boards, 4 assists, and 4 steals in Potsdam's first round Class B state matchup against Beekmantown. They play in the Elite 8 vs Catholic Central tomorrow at 5:15. Ian vs Payday.

VanWagner had 15 points, 7 boards, 4 assists, and 4 steals in Potsdam's first round Class B state matchup against Beekmantown. They play in the Elite 8 vs Catholic Central tomorrow at 5:15. Ian vs Payday.
I'm hoping to get over to Hudson Valley to watch but we will see if I can make it happen.

Potsdam's Cinderella story came to an end today losing 34-72 to (#1 Class B, #12 in NY) Catholic Central. I was planning to watch on the NFHS Network but didn't get home in time to.

I mean he’s only an 8th grader so has a long ways to go. But a few things. He probably won’t be finishing his career at Potsdam and rightfully so. Get that kid to Brewster or another big time, northeast prep school.

Also like I said only 8th grade but if he continues on his trajectory, he will absolutely be playing HM D1 basketball. He’s already 6 foot, so wouldn’t be a shock if he’s around 6’3 or taller when he graduates. He’s very smooth and has a nice handle for his age. Has a good shot as well.

Obviously at that age, he needs to get stronger. His shot is a little slow but the mechanics are good. So fixable seeing that he’s only in 8th. Haven’t seen any defensive videos but I’m sure being in 8th grade his defense could use some work. But needless to say, as early as it is, I can see this kid playing high D1 with his current trajectory. I’d put good money on it barring no setbacks or injuries

I mean he’s only an 8th grader so has a long ways to go. But a few things. He probably won’t be finishing his career at Potsdam and rightfully so. Get that kid to Brewster or another big time, northeast prep school.

Also like I said only 8th grade but if he continues on his trajectory, he will absolutely be playing HM D1 basketball. He’s already 6 foot, so wouldn’t be a shock if he’s around 6’3 or taller when he graduates. He’s very smooth and has a nice handle for his age. Has a good shot as well.

Obviously at that age, he needs to get stronger. His shot is a little slow but the mechanics are good. So fixable seeing that he’s only in 8th. Haven’t seen any defensive videos but I’m sure being in 8th grade his defense could use some work. But needless to say, as early as it is, I can see this kid playing high D1 with his current trajectory. I’d put good money on it barring no setbacks or injuries
What happened to that kid from cooperstown who prepped with Sy in Vermont?

Rick Carlisle’s neck of the woods.

Benchwarmer at UAB with his third school.
Benchwarmer at UAB with his third school.

Vastly overrated coming out of a tiny rural high school, couldn't make a difference for Binghamton when they were arguably one of the worst teams in NCAA. I love seeing upstate kids getting a chance, but sometimes think they'd be better served going to an Ivy or a good D3 school where they can get a meaningful degree and a chance to play a lot. Transferring credits can be difficult as there's a limit to how many credits schools accept. I wonder if this college hopping is a long run detriment to these kids.

Vastly overrated coming out of a tiny rural high school, couldn't make a difference for Binghamton when they were arguably one of the worst teams in NCAA. I love seeing upstate kids getting a chance, but sometimes think they'd be better served going to an Ivy or a good D3 school where they can get a meaningful degree and a chance to play a lot. Transferring credits can be difficult as there's a limit to how many credits schools accept. I wonder if this college hopping is a long run detriment to these kids.
It would be hard for your first sentence to be more incorrect.

Endless negativity in upstate NY.

I went to a tiny HS in NY and one of my teammates played D1. Good lord. He average 11 at Binghamton. It wasn't like he never played. Why he left I could not tell you.

The Potsdam boys coach just shared this photo with me. This is one of their 3 new sets for next year...
Screenshot_20230621-205706_Facebook.jpg

I can't love them enough... Syracuse script and all. Can't wait to see the other two jerseys. We had nice ones in my day, but these are out of this world better!

Last edited:
As someone else said, to play against better competition and to develop at a high level, he would be better off at a prep school like Brewster. The kid has potential.

As someone else said, to play against better competition and to develop at a high level, he would be better off at a prep school like Brewster. The kid has potential.
Don't disagree but...
He will just be a freshmen this coming year, so there is still time for that. I'm sure he wants to try and make another run with Potsdam. He led the team as an 8th grader.

I think spending his FR and Soph years won't hurt him. He needs to work on skill development and maturing. Last two years go to a prep school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom