I'd sign up for this in a heart beat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'd sign up for this in a heart beat

I love Jake but he bungled the whole Penn St. situation, I remember Mike Tranghese's interview with the NY Times a couple yrs ago when he said the biggest mistake the Big East made was not admitting Penn St in 1982. Jake was good for SU, but he could have pushed the bball schools hard to add both Penn St and Pittsburgh and not of 1 of 2. Its not like Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova were the future of college sports. Also, in 2003 when the ACC added only Miami and Va Tech Jake and Buzz didn't lobby SU to the ACC like BC did for the 12th spot. Instead, they went back to the Big East and if they didn't luck into Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida Syracuse Football would have been severely injured. Jake was a good AD, but I agree about Dr. Gross he is sharp and will play the game where Jake wouldn't sadly college sports are all about the $$$ and not about integrity. Syracuse will end up okay because of my confidence in Dr. Gross.

Back in 1982, Jake pushed the BB schools as hard as he could for Penn State. He needed 6 votes, but only got 5. The BB schools would NEVER have approved a two team addition (PSU and Pitt).

Gavitt forced the BB schools to add Pitt in 1983 to kill JoePa's proposed league that Gavitt feared SU and BC might join.

"Thankful"

Recall that Jake helped create the Big East - a smashing success for Syracuse University.

He also hired Coach Mac and presided over golden era of SU Athletics.

He's super smart and well-respected in the TV/college sports community.

He would handle the situation quite well.

Jake did great things for this program...no doubt. But you can't deny that Jake took his foot off the gas towards the end of his career.

and this surprises you??...

we need to get in a 12school football acc and find a way to bring gtown, nova, st johns and a lottery winner along for the ride in hoop.

every other year they can put the conf tourny in the Garden and id be more than ok with that.

:noidea:

screw Georgetown, Nova, St.Johns and the rest of the basketball-onlies.

I love Jake but he bungled the whole Penn St. situation, I remember Mike Tranghese's interview with the NY Times a couple yrs ago when he said the biggest mistake the Big East made was not admitting Penn St in 1982. Jake was good for SU, but he could have pushed the bball schools hard to add both Penn St and Pittsburgh and not of 1 of 2. Its not like Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova were the future of college sports. Also, in 2003 when the ACC added only Miami and Va Tech Jake and Buzz didn't lobby SU to the ACC like BC did for the 12th spot. Instead, they went back to the Big East and if they didn't luck into Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida Syracuse Football would have been severely injured. Jake was a good AD, but I agree about Dr. Gross he is sharp and will play the game where Jake wouldn't sadly college sports are all about the $$$ and not about integrity. Syracuse will end up okay because of my confidence in Dr. Gross.
I do not think your recollection is accurate.

I think Jake tried to convince others to admit Penn State and was voted down.

Jake did great things for this program...no doubt. But you can't deny that Jake took his foot off the gas towards the end of his career.
I recognize that there is a conventional wisdom out there, but I am pretty sure that most do not know the facts.

And although I certainly do not know all of the facts, the ones I do know seem to refute the idea that Jake took his foot off the gas at the end.

I think he was prevented from doing things that he wanted to do.

I give Chancellor Cantor a lot of credit for allowing Dr. Gross to make the needed investments in the department.

Yeah, I'd be cool with this. I'm not excited about the potential of losing Nova and G'town for hoops rivalries and with St. John's apparently back with Lavin at the helm, I'd add them to the mix as well. PC or the Hall would be fine as a fourth as well.
They can wrap up all those non football schools and dump them in the recycle bin for all I care. We can set upOV games with them if we want. Let Georgetown rot in their own stew. Who really cares?

Lenn Robbins.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/coll...king_big_ou8JdQKJUhWEeCUtGv7dNP#ixzz1XBPTWUVS

Not so hyped up on the 4 divisions, but whatever works.

If seems that three Big12 teams to the BE as the next step if the Pac12 goes to 16 is locked in.
The way for a small big east football conference to survive is to become a division of a bigger conferencederation. We still play Pitt, WVU, UConn, Rutgers, and get stuck with USF while the other newbies go out west where they belong.

if missouri doesn't come to play, find some other midwestern castoff.

Not a basketball fan, eh?

Huge basketball fan, much moreso than football. But the future of bigtime college athletics is being determined right now, and it isn't being determined by Georgetown, St. Johns, and Nova. If we want SU to remain a power school in both sports, we can't be on the outside looking in when the 5 X 16 is finished forming and breaks off from the NCAA.