Idle Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Idle Thoughts

I don't think he's going to have Broyld trying to complete a pass with any potential of a defender within 10 yards of the receiver.
That might be a problem if Broyld's at QB next season.

Hey-o!

Eh, for his conservative play calling in years past, he has been known to throw a trick play in fairly frequently. We've had Antwan Bailey throw multiple passes, Lemon threw a touchdown last year, the flea flickers...I doubt that we're afraid to have Broyld throw, and I hope we do soon.

We have seen a few trick plays but really those are few and far between. We go incredibly long stretches without showing any type of trickery, remember two years ago we all kept waiting for the "kitchen sink" game that never came. In the pinstripe and twice last year we did run a flea flicker and a double pass but honestly the trick plays and even plays with deception (ie a double reverse, reverse pass, fake toss pass, freeze option) are pretty much non existent for a majority of the seasonwhich I think is a huge mistake.

not sure how many examples of 7pm parents weekend games we have to decide how early the parents bail.. when its a early sat game , they often have dinner plans to go to. but for a friday game how many are going to go some place at 9-10 oclock to eat dinner? most dont go out for the party scene.. for the kids the game is done way before its time to go out. if SU is in the game the crowd should be ok. get down 2-3 scores like we always seem to do and it will be empty by half.

Not in this town. Most restaurants are dead by 9 in Syracuse. Many even earlier.

Not in this town. Most restaurants are dead by 9 in Syracuse. Many even earlier.

Never been to Avicoll's huh?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bad news: Parents Weekend crowds are stupid and usually bail early

I don't know. Given the product we've put on the field lately, bailing early as a completely casual fan actually seems like a pretty good move. I doubt many parents felt bad about their decision afterwards.;)

The Retreat serves until 11pm.

Considered about this game. Pitt has gotten their season back on track with a renewed commitment to power football. Our defense looks like it is fairly well suited to stopping spread type offenses but has been suspectible to power running, even with a bigger DL, presumably because of the undersized linebackers and safeties.

They are surely going to test our run defense. I hope we are able to answer that test. Of course, when they pass, they have 2 excellent WRs and we are again missing our best cover corner. It is hard to imagine a scenario where Pitt scores less than 25 or 30 points.

So there is pressure on the offense to score a lot of points to keep the team in the game. Given the extra week to prepare, I am wondering what DM has done with the extra time, will will be different with the offense. Maybe nothing, just a renewed focus on execution.

With 2 (hopefully) solid OTs, will DM be tempted to also go with a power type attack and try and overpower the Panthers?

With the biggest weakness pass blocking on the OL addressed, will he open it up and throw the ball all over the field? The return of Flemming and improved health of Lemon and Stevens might also encourage this, as well as the fact that Pitt has a frosh CB and just lost their 3rd CB for the season due to injury. Since SU routinely runs sets with 3 WRs, that injury could be a big factor in the game.

Or will DM take advantage of the extra time to install some Wildcat plays where we see Broyld pull up from a toss sweep and throw the ball long, or do other plays like that against the established book that says when Broyld is in the game he will get the ball on a running play 90% of the time?

I don't know what we are going to see but I suspect that whatever direction DM goes is going to play a big role in determining what happens the rest of this season, and possibly what happens with DM's coaching career long term.

This is a big game, a really big week for the program. I hope they are ready to play. And like Bees has said, I hope the fans come out for the game. Doesn't matter if you agree with the coach, his philosophies, the direction of the program, the view of the chancellor or AD, whatever, if you can possibly come to the game, please do so. And bring people with you if you can.

We are going to need every advantage we can get to pull off a win.

WAR DAMN OTTO!

I would do anthing to attend. If we win, we buy "time" for Dougy. Maybe two losses before we start asking for his head again.

Never been to Avicoll's huh?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Out in Liverpool on 57? They're kind of like the Dominic's of the Northern Suburbs. Do they have a crowd that late?

Out in Liverpool on 57? They're kind of like the Dominic's of the Northern Suburbs. Do they have a crowd that late?
They always have a crowd. I think the quality of the food is a lot higher at Avicolli's than at Dominick's, but I am not Italian so I could be mistaken.

Anyway, this is a place I highly recommend you try if in that area and hungry for Italian. I rate it as a 5 cat restaurant.

images
images
images
images
images

Yes, well it's a bar.

Well they have three dining rooms, plus outside dining, and about 80 tables. Sounds like a restaurant to me.

The Retreat was a bar back in the 70s. Not a particularly respectable one either, which was fine with me at the time. For at least 25 years, however, it has been a restaurant with a bar.

I believe the biggest key to this game is the Offensive tackles. I can not wait to see what this team looks like with 2 capable Tackles. Alexander started ok, but sense that time has been awful. The Minnesota game for him was especially sickening. Not to mention he was good for at least 3 penalties a game. So not only will we decrease our penalties by at least 3 a game, we will give Nassib more time in the pocket. Hopefully Nassib feels more comfortable in the pocket and doesn't have his happy feet tonight. Go Cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom