If 3+5+5 won't happen how would change the ACC divisions if you even would | Syracusefan.com

If 3+5+5 won't happen how would change the ACC divisions if you even would

Alsacs

Living Legend
If the ACC wanted to become more balanced move Virginia Tech and Miami to the Atlantic and Florida State and Syracuse/BC to the Coastal.

Atlantic
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech
Boston College

Coastal
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Florida State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Syracuse

Crossovers
Clemson-Georgia Tech
NC State- North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Virginia
Louisville-Pittsburgh
Boston College-Syracuse

What do you think?

I either wouldn't change them or make it one division. Either way, top 2 teams record-wise regardless of division go to championship game.

I think the ACC would probably view Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT as it's most likely to reach the conf championship, so you'd see two of them in each.

Clemson - FSU, when both going well, was a game that provided a ton of exposure. So if you're going to divide them (but preserve their crossovers), they'd have to be convinced that it's their most probable conf championship game.

You've preserved UNC - UVA, UNC - NC State, UNC - Duke, which will probably be more important than we care to think.

Just needs a re-balance with one of VT, Miami moving to the Coastal. We'd probably stay in the Atlantic with Pitt as crossover.

Is this stuff not cyclical? If Miami and va tech start being elite do you swap the divisions again?

If the ACC wanted to become more balanced move Virginia Tech and Miami to the Atlantic and Florida State and Syracuse/BC to the Coastal.

Atlantic
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech
Boston College

Coastal
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Florida State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Syracuse

Crossovers
Clemson-Georgia Tech
NC State- North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Virginia
Louisville-Pittsburgh
Boston College-Syracuse

What do you think?
Flip Pitt and Louisville to add more balance

Is this stuff not cyclical? If Miami and va tech start being elite do you swap the divisions again?

I would hope it's more cyclical than every 10 because as of this year the only Atlantic teams to make it to the conference championship the last 10 years are Clemson and FSU.

Not in today’s game where it is all about the $. If you want to think long term:

1. The four North Carlina schools should be split, which they currently are.

2. The four small private schools should be split, which is currently 3 to 1.

3. The two Northern schools should be split, which they currently are not.

4. The two Florida schools should be split, which they are.

5. The two Virginia schools should be split, which they currently are not.

6. The two Southern schools should be split, which they currently are.

7. The two Western schools should be split, which they currently are.

IMO if you split along those lines you are less likely to have imbalance.

I would make them as close to old Big East and pre-raid ACC as I could and add Louisville and Clemson to old Big East to even out numbers. Let teams schedule across divisions as OOC games allowing traditional rivals to play annually. For those that don't have a traditional cross division rival and choose not to schedule across divisions, that game has to be against another P5 opponent.

Flip Pitt and Louisville to add more balance
I was thinking TV would be losing Clemson-Florida State but Miami-Louisville is an attractive annual game.

The zipper format though is the way to go and Virginia Tech to the Atlantic makes the most sense with Miami and Florida State and one of SU/BC to the Coastal.

3 of the 5 P5 conferences play 9 games. I don't know how long the SEC and ACC can hold out. And it's all because of the 3-4 state overlaps that limit OOC flexibility (South Carolina/Clemson, Florida/Florida State, Georgia Tech/Georgia, maybe Kentucky/Louisville).

I think at some point soon, the P5 will unify. Same # of conference games, same setup of their leagues and conf championship games. I think the pressure will also be on ND to schedule a 13th game.

Atlantic
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech
Boston College

Coastal
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Florida State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Syracuse

Crossovers
Clemson-Georgia Tech
NC State- North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Virginia
Louisville-Pittsburgh
Boston College-Syracuse

What do you think?
Excellently done. You also preserved dook-GIT, which has been played every year since 1937.

I was thinking TV would be losing Clemson-Florida State but Miami-Louisville is an attractive annual game.

The zipper format though is the way to go and Virginia Tech to the Atlantic makes the most sense with Miami and Florida State and one of SU/BC to the Coastal.

I prefer yours for SU as it is nearly perfect for who I want to play. But if you are changing for competitive balance how can you tell Clemson that they are getting VA Tech instead of SU?

I prefer yours for SU as it is nearly perfect for who I want to play. But if you are changing for competitive balance how can you tell Clemson that they are getting VA Tech instead of SU?
It’s all about Florida State becoming Florida State so the conference gets Georgia-Alabama in the title game with Clemson-Florida State when they are on.

I put Syracuse with Florida State because VPI plays BC play every year and Miami for its alums would prefer BC every other year than SU.
The only matchup my pairings loses yearly is FSU-Clemson but I am presuming both are top 10 powers most years.

It’s all about Florida State becoming Florida State so the conference gets Georgia-Alabama in the title game with Clemson-Florida State when they are on.

I put Syracuse with Florida State because VPI plays BC play every year and Miami for its alums would prefer BC every other year than SU.
The only matchup my pairings loses yearly is FSU-Clemson but I am presuming both are top 10 powers most years.

Swapping Pitt and Louisville keeps that and make the Coastal stronger. It also gives Pitt games vs VA Tech, Miami, BC. They would lose SU but the ACC doesn't really care about that.

Atlantic
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech
Boston College

Coastal
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Florida State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Syracuse

Crossovers
Clemson-Georgia Tech
NC State- North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Virginia
Louisville-Pittsburgh
Boston College-Syracuse

What do you think?
This is well executed, with one notable exception. FSU-Clemson is the ACC’s version of Michigan-Ohio State or Texas-Oklahoma. No sure it’s the best decision to do away with this highly-rated regular-season conference game in the hopes that they find each other in the ACCCG. There is risk in that.

I wouldn’t change the division lineups, but if I had to, your alignment would likely be the way to go.

Atlantic
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech
Boston College

Coastal
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Florida State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Syracuse

Crossovers
Clemson-Georgia Tech
NC State- North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke
Miami-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Virginia
Louisville-Pittsburgh
Boston College-Syracuse

What do you think?

I think you have a great way to balance the 2 divisions. I don't like the idea of making one division with the top two teams playing for the championship. Why doesn't the ACC grow a set of marbles and force Notre Dame to join the league or force them out of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom