If a dual threat player like Kimble fits what the new staff... | Syracusefan.com

If a dual threat player like Kimble fits what the new staff...

RF2044

Living Legend
...is looking for at QB, then why wouldn't Ashton Broyld garner strong consideration this spring? :noidea:

If Broyld can't grasp the playbook, he's not going to be considered for much of anything.

Because Kimble is coming in as an engineering student and Ashton isn't.

If Broyld can't grasp the playbook, he's not going to be considered for much of anything.
If there is this potential playmaker who could be a great QB if only he could grasp the playbook, then why not try to make the playbook easier to grasp?

Ok, so I've been trying to dance around saying the words "dumbing down" the playbook because I definitely don't want to insult any player, but that's what I mean - why not dumb it down a bit so that it can be grasped?

If there is this potential playmaker who could be a great QB if only he could grasp the playbook, then why not try to make the playbook easier to grasp?

Ok, so I've been trying to dance around saying the words "dumbing down" the playbook because I definitely don't want to insult any player, but that's what I mean - why not dumb it down a bit so that it can be grasped?

You can't "dumb down" a medical school education for a 10-year old.
Some things just cannot be done. Sorry bud.

You try to make the other team prepare for so much they can not focus all their efforts on a tiny playbook. Dumbing down the playbook allows the other team to prepare to tee off on us.

my guess? throwing motion, decision making, grasp of complex schemes. I've only seen highlight videos though.

I'm not putting Broyld on this level, but I've heard that Cam Newton only ran about 20 plays at Auburn [obviously, with variations out of all of those formations] because he couldn't grasp a full playbook.

If Broyld can make plays, then he's worth a look whether he's a mensa candidate or not. I qualify that by acknowledging that I don't know if he can make throws or not at this level. The only time I saw him throw was the spring game last year--not a ton of data.

I'm not putting Broyld on this level, but I've heard that Cam Newton only ran about 20 plays at Auburn [obviously, with variations out of all of those formations] because he couldn't grasp a full playbook.

If Broyld can make plays, then he's worth a look whether he's a mensa candidate or not. I qualify that by acknowledging that I don't know if he can make throws or not at this level. The only time I saw him throw was the spring game last year--not a ton of data.
There will be mistakes and bad decisions made galore. Our other options are better.

20 plays! Not multiple enough!

my thoughts exactly, and I'd be willing to bet that this is what the new staff will do, or at least give AB a legit shot at the position. Also, I'm not so sure this not grasping the playbook thing may not be a bit of an urban legend created by so many of us here. Does anyone really know?

And like you said I have a hard time believing that Newton was a rocket scientist. Channeling my best impersonation now, but just give hope (AB) a chance!

I suspect that throwing motion not playbook is the issue.

Guess we will find out at the spring game. Good reason to attend.

so Cam Newton only ran 20 plays at Auburn because he couldn't grasp the playbook, but then he ran an NFL offense all while winning NFL Rookie of the Year? I don't know how true that is, I thought that rumor was denied?

New staff with their own philosophy, so no-one here knows what they want, or how they will assess the players except on defense, where the Head coach who was DC is still here.

my thoughts exactly, and I'd be willing to bet that this is what the new staff will do, or at least give AB a legit shot at the position. Also, I'm not so sure this not grasping the playbook thing may not be a bit of an urban legend created by so many of us here. Does anyone really know?

And like you said I have a hard time believing that Newton was a rocket scientist. Channeling my best impersonation now, but just give hope (AB) a chance!
It's not an urban legend. I can guarantee you that. Even the freshman should be ahead of him on the depth chart at QB this season.

It's not an urban legend. I can guarantee you that. Even the freshman should be ahead of him on the depth chart at QB this season.
do tell. Please elaborate if you would.

do tell. Please elaborate if you would.
I have heard he mainly wasn't on the field last year because of missed assignments and mistakes with the playbook. At the easiest position to grasp at RB...

Well he didn't seem to play much after that fumble at Minnesota. So who knows. Maybe a new staff will 'clear the air'. I hope. ;)