If a national power falls and no one writes about it... | Syracusefan.com

If a national power falls and no one writes about it...

OrangeFoo

All American
I've been scanning the usual sports sites and there is no mention of Syracuse and JB being off to one of the most horrific starts in JB's illustrious career. Imagine the number of articles that would be written if Michigan State, Duke, or Kentucky started off a season like we have this year.

Folks the damage has been done... we are irrelevant on the national scene. No articles are being written because most people don't expect us to be among the elite any more. The concern now is how long it will take for us to dig ourselves out of this hole.

I've been scanning the usual sports sites and there is no mention of Syracuse and JB being off to one of the most horrific starts in JB's illustrious career. Imagine the number of articles that would be written if Michigan State, Duke, or Kentucky started off a season like we have this year.

Folks the damage has been done... we are irrelevant on the national scene. No articles are being written because most people don't expect us to be among the elite any more. The concern now is how long it will take for us to dig ourselves out of this hole.
Just wait for the Gtown game that’s when it hits the national airwaves, for both teams, and in a big big way. Yuckk

I can see it now “Georgetown puts nail in the coffin”

we know we ain't top 25. but look who else is getting votes. we trail these programs as well.

Others receiving votes:Florida 111, Xavier 91, San Diego St. 89, Saint Mary's (Cal) 86, Oklahoma St. 85, Texas Tech 43, West Virginia 28, Purdue 24, DePaul 18, Arkansas 17, Indiana 13, Penn St. 9, Stephen F Austin 7, Oklahoma 6, Liberty 5, Notre Dame 2, Richmond 2, VCU 2, SMU 1, Delaware 1.

all hail Mighty Syracuse !

we know we ain't top 25. but look who else is getting votes. we trail these programs as well.

Others receiving votes:Florida 111, Xavier 91, San Diego St. 89, Saint Mary's (Cal) 86, Oklahoma St. 85, Texas Tech 43, West Virginia 28, Purdue 24, DePaul 18, Arkansas 17, Indiana 13, Penn St. 9, Stephen F Austin 7, Oklahoma 6, Liberty 5, Notre Dame 2, Richmond 2, VCU 2, SMU 1, Delaware 1.

all hail Mighty Syracuse !

This actually makes me feel slightly better - I watched a Delaware game early this year, and I kinda thought we may be able to hang with them for a half. I think our guards would be slightly overmatched, and we would have trouble with that Mutts kid, but I think we could be competitive for a bit.
So, we do have that? Right?
That's gotta mean something!

It was brought up in the report on our game on CBS Radio in NY this morning. It will be repeated as we continue to lose. Don’t worry.

Syracuse is one of the top 10 college hoops brands. That's not conjecture, that's a data-based fact. Don't pine for coverage of our demise. It's coming. And it'll suck.

Exactly. The OP is trying way too hard to make a case. There will be no shortage of coverage in the very near future.

This actually makes me feel slightly better - I watched a Delaware game early this year, and I kinda thought we may be able to hang with them for a half. I think our guards would be slightly overmatched, and we would have trouble with that Mutts kid, but I think we could be competitive for a bit.
So, we do have that? Right?
That's gotta mean something!
I think we have a good chance with Georgia Tech. Don't @ me. :)

Sorry but March is NCAA basketball.
Nonsense. The greater amount of coverage awarded to ranked teams definitely helps them stay in the minds of recruits. One final four run every 8 years does not, by itself, keep you relevant and missing the tournament half of the time and squeeking in the other half doesn't give you much of a chance to make a run.

This idea that we are some kind of March guru is so stupid. Higher seeded teams have a better chance of making it farther in the tournament. The numbers prove that. Some of our fanbase has clung to the irrational belief that all we have to do is make it in and then we're destined to make a run (how'd that work out last year?) because they don't want to give in to the truth that have not been good for a while now.

Last edited:
I think we have a good chance with Georgia Tech. Don't @ me. :)
Check out my post in the "Iowa prediction thread" and you will see I essentially said the same thing - DUH. I am away for a while Saturday so I will not catch the game. Just debating right now whether to record it on DVD or not. Of course I will, being a true fan like most of us. At least I can fast forward through the commercials and the poor play (if that occurs).

Before 87 people crapped on JB because we couldn’t get past round 2, even though we had high 20 win seasons . You can always complain if your not winning NCs

We aren't a national power and haven't been outside of March runs, for a while.
Sad but true.
Probably haven't been viewed as a power since our first ACC season.
Or maybe the Final Four run the next year.

As I mentioned after the Penn State debacle, the stories are coming.
Suddenly they'll be all over.
They'll be focused on Boeheim's first losing season in 44 years as head coach.
Secondarily...the loss of Mike Hopkins, his success and SU recruiting issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom