If anyone is doubting Babers as THE guy... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

If anyone is doubting Babers as THE guy...

You win a new car! But cmon you can't compare miami to Syracuse . That's like comparing Alabama to Syracuse or FSU to Syracuse.

Miami fires coaches for having a .560 winning percentage over 4-5 years. We've had one HC with a record even close to that (marrone). Marrone went 25-25. Grob went 5-37!!!!!. Shaffer went 14-23.

I mean that alone should show you how far we've fallen. We're lauding a .500 coach as the programs savior over the past almost 20 years.

Miamis HC records from 2000 to now:

Coker 60-15 - .800
Randy Shannon 28-22 - .560
Al golden 32-25 - .561
Richt 13-4 - .765

We're really un-unique in the fact that we're terrible with zero consistency. Miami is semi unique in that they've had a new coach every 4-5 years and haven't had a coach with a losing record.

If Randy Shannon or al golden was our coach and won 56% of their games we'd build them a statue outside of the carrier dome.

Technically 10-37 (unless you're the NCAA)

How about this fun stat?

Greg Robinson had a .213 winning percentage at 'Cuse.

Saban has a .867 winning percentage at 'Bama.

Nick Saban would need to go 0-12 for 38.3 seasons to match that percentage.

38.3 SEASONS!!!

Bunch of nonsense. Through the first nine games of the year #1 3rd down defense top 45 in total defense

Why would you assume that the last three games not at full strength is more indicative than first nine?
third down defense stats are not worth that much

texas, indiana are top 10

kent state is top 15 at 2-10. we're top 15 at 4-8

That 3rd down stat is meaningless when the defense is giving up 6.5 yards per play on average.
with the pace of our games, it's crazy that we were only 38th in total number of opposing team 3rd down attempts

with the pace of our games, it's crazy that we were only 38th in total number of opposing team 3rd down attempts

With the style of offense when it’s working all they should need to do is get off the field when they get the opportunity. They don’t have to be top 20 defense just good situationally. The issue for most of this year was offensive inefficiency.

Which means opposing offenses were getting first downs on 1st and 2nd down disproportionately, right?

Seems like 3rd down defense % is a good stat only if it's contextualized with other defensive metrics.

Bunch of nonsense. Through the first nine games of the year #1 3rd down defense top 45 in total defense

Why would you assume that the last three games not at full strength is more indicative than first nine?

Because the one team with a decent QB that we faced in the first 2/3 of the schedule, MTSU, kicked our ass. I sit right near the visitor tunnel, do you want to really know why we beat Clemson and Pitt? Because I saw their QBs walk into the tunnels in full pads and walk back out sans helmets/shoulder pads. I'm not sure we win either the Pitt or Clemson game if they have their #1 the whole game.

Which means opposing offenses were getting first downs on 1st and 2nd down disproportionately, right?

Seems like 3rd down defense % is a good stat only if it's contextualized with other defensive metrics.

Yep. But it's akin to our YPP vs YPG. Sometimes 400+ offense is good no matter how you get there. Having a 3rd down % in the top 25 is good for you *even* when the other stats are ugly. Getting the ball back is good. But it does not mean our defense is good.

when you have a big upset, you look back at that stat for the game and it jumps out

clemson was 2 for 11

it's just one of those things that explains why something happened but it doesn't predict anything that will happen

we were just sorta bad on offense and defense, got extra plays, had some good luck in a couple big spots, then the wheels came off with injuries

we all want these seasons to mean so much but really we're just in a holding pattern. at least we had a fun night which is more than we can say about a lot of other year.

Because the one team with a decent QB that we faced in the first 2/3 of the schedule, MTSU, kicked our ass. I sit right near the visitor tunnel, do you want to really know why we beat Clemson and Pitt? Because I saw their QBs walk into the tunnels in full pads and walk back out sans helmets/shoulder pads. I'm not sure we win either the Pitt or Clemson game if they have their #1 the whole game.
middle tennessee didn't do much against our defense. our offense was putrid

No extension until we see results. If he uses results to leave then so be it. Stop this madness of extending w zero results.

There is absolutely, unequivocally ZERO risk in extending Babers for another year or 2. People are making it out like an extension is selling your soul. There is LOTS of soft verbiage in a contract that protects both parties.

We need to be all-in with this guy. A supposed 6 year initial contract is not "all-in", whatsoever.

We're not ever going to be Clemson or FSU. Why not keep the guy that can get us 7-10 wins on an annual basis once he gets a full roster of his in? (Yeah, that's right, get you some blind faith!)

when you have a big upset, you look back at that stat for the game and it jumps out

clemson was 2 for 11

it's just one of those things that explains why something happened but it doesn't predict anything that will happen

we were just sorta bad on offense and defense, got extra plays, had some good luck in a couple big spots, then the wheels came off with injuries

we all want these seasons to mean so much but really we're just in a holding pattern. at least we had a fun night which is more than we can say about a lot of other year.

I don't know if it was predictive, but it clearly helped us stay in close games. We were quite good on 3rd down while holding other teams to bad %. Going for it on 4th and getting it means longer possessions. Getting stops on 3rd means we get the ball back.

After the Clemson game, 2 games we lost by 1 score:
Miami: 3-13
FSU: 1-13

There is absolutely, unequivocally ZERO risk in extending Babers for another year or 2. People are making it out like an extension is selling your soul. There is LOTS of soft verbiage in a contract that protects both parties.

We need to be all-in with this guy. A supposed 6 year initial contract is not "all-in", whatsoever.

We're not ever going to be Clemson or FSU. Why not keep the guy that can get us 7-10 wins on an annual basis once he gets a full roster of his in? (Yeah, that's right, get you some blind faith!)
Why wouldn't buying out 4 years on a remaining contract not be a risk? We couldn't afford to buy out 1 year of the Gerg.

Last edited:

what is an all-in contract initially? 10, 100? Just let it play out. society is in such a rush to do things these days before anything materializes.

instead of a contract redo, let's smooth any edges the football program has currently. If it means slightly bumping assistant coaches, do it. Something in the football facility he needs, see if it's reasonable.

To pay this guy more after these 2 years is like smacking jim boeheim w a white glove across the face. if i'm not mistaken, he's never asked for a contract extension in his 40 plus years at syracuse.

middle tennessee didn't do much against our defense. our offense was putrid

Stockstill was 22-36(61%) for 269 yards, and 3TDs with 1 INT, all of the TDs coming in the 2nd half. We didn't exactly shut them down. If not for the fact they racked up over 100 yards in penalties that game could have been worse.

Bingo. I made this argument before the Florida State game and it still holds. There literally is zero risk of extending. There are several significant risks of not doing so.

what is an all-in contract initially? 10, 100? Just let it play out. society is in such a rush to do things these days before anything materializes.

instead of a contract redo, let's smooth any edges the football program has currently. If it means slightly bumping assistant coaches, do it. Something in the football facility he needs, see if it's reasonable.

To pay this guy more after these 2 years is like smacking jim boeheim w a white glove across the face. if i'm not mistaken, he's never asked for a contract extension in his 40 plus years at syracuse.
If you're not ahead of the curve, you're behind in the current market. Just the way it is. The college football powers have the luxury you describe. SU does not.

If we need someone to smack Boeheim w/ the white glove, I'll fall on the sword. He coaches harder when he's pissed off! ;)

Why wouldn't buying out 4 years on a remaining contract not be a risk? We couldn't afford to buy out 1 year of the Gerg.

If we're in the unfortunate position of "having" to buy Babers out, then we might as well disband our football program.

Simply put, it's either going to work with Dino or our future is grossly **cked.

If we're in the unfortunate position of "having" to buy Babers out, then we might as well disband our football program.

Simply put, it's either going to work with Dino or our future is grossly **cked.
See I guess I'm not ready to put the entire future of Syracuse's football program on Dino's shoulders. It isn't fair to him for starters, secondly, losing hurts, I'm a Detroit Lions fan so I know losing between my two teams. There's always another year, another coach, another QB. I've never seen a Superbowl with my team in it, because it's never happened. Doesn't mean you give up. It took the Red Wings 50 years between Cups but then they became a dynasty for the next 15 years. The future of Syracuse Football is not dependent on Dino Babers.

See I guess I'm not ready to put the entire future of Syracuse's football program on Dino's shoulders. It isn't fair to him for starters, secondly, losing hurts, I'm a Detroit Lions fan so I know losing between my two teams. There's always another year, another coach, another QB. I've never seen a Superbowl with my team in it, because it's never happened. Doesn't mean you give up. It took the Red Wings 50 years between Cups but then they became a dynasty for the next 15 years. The future of Syracuse Football is not dependent on Dino Babers.
I think the brightest forseable future is with Dino. Cuse has zero leverage, none, zip. I tend to be a realist and let's be honest. Syracuse is a bottom 10 p5 job. SU can't get out of its own way. When syracuse was good, we had an offensive system. It was the freeze option. We need a niche to win here. Babers provides that niche. I've seen a Drastic improvement from last year to this year. I don't give a crap what numbers say we were a lot better. I saw it with my own eyes. I'm sick of the revolving door of coaches at Syracuse. We need to give a coach time to get this done. Dino has been our best hire in the last 15 years and it's not even close. He knows how to recruit, how to win, has an offense that is picture perfect for the dome. Watching this team the last two years has been more fun than it has been for the last decade prior. Extending him now shows that the university is committed. Now some of you will say well we should have given HCSS another 2 years. That's BS, he was in over his head, settled for recruits and didn't have a plan. It was a garbage hire from a garbage AD. At some point this University needs to stop being so reactive and decide if it wants to put on it's big boy pants. For the love of god extend him for 2 more years. Believe in the vision that the man has outlined. Niche system is going to take years to implement. Rant over.

Stockstill was 22-36(61%) for 269 yards, and 3TDs with 1 INT, all of the TDs coming in the 2nd half. We didn't exactly shut them down. If not for the fact they racked up over 100 yards in penalties that game could have been worse.

They had 3 good drives the whole game, and then a 4th where we handed them the ball at the 28 on a game changing mistake.

If we give up 3 TDs, don't turn the ball over, I think our staff would overall be pretty happy. Because they'd expect to score 35-45.

Giving up 360 yards in a game is what the 40th best defense would do. We'd be happy with that.

Our financial circumstances have changed substantially since Greg Robinson was employed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom