If BMK plays, does SU lose? | Syracusefan.com

If BMK plays, does SU lose?

SBU72

All Conference
Is it ironic that while some thought that SU might lose while being under strength, it may be the only reason why they won was that Xmas had to play so much! If BMK plays, Xmas doesn't score 14 (and it is doubtful both combined score 14) and SU need ever point.

It's not every night that SU will need to rely on the 5 for scoring rather than Grant, Fair, Cooney and Ennis. I think BMK being back will take a lot of pressure off Rak, not that he hasn't performed well despite it.

While BMK is playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rak play some of Grant's minutes to get Keita and Rak down low for easy buckets and more offensive rebounds, as well as rotate through the center of the Zone, that way Jerami can get some rest. Rak can continue to develop over the next few weeks. Rak has shown that he can help make good traps out on the corners and wings, maybe Jimmy will see if he can cover the wing as Forward here and there while Keita stays at Center.

Silly hypothesis. If Xmas plays as well as he played last night... he will get all the minutes he should. When Xmas plays that well, Baye is insurance against foul trouble ... and someone who can give Xmas a few minutes rest without playing Grant out of position.

Last edited:
While BMK is playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rak play some of Grant's minutes to get Keita and Rak down low for easy buckets and more offensive rebounds, as well as rotate through the center of the Zone, that way Jerami can get some rest. Rak can continue to develop over the next few weeks. Rak has shown that he can help make good traps out on the corners and wings, maybe Jimmy will see if he can cover the wing as Forward here and there while Keita stays at Center.

I like this idea a lot but I doubt JB will do it.

Silly hypothesis. If Xmas plays as well as he played last night... he will get all the minutes he should. When Xmas plays that well, Baye is insurance against foul trouble ... and someone who can give Xmas a few minutes on the bench without playing Grant out of position.

I don't think it is a silly hypothesis at all, maybe state it a little differently......if Keita were available as a sub does Rak feel the freedom to take some of the shots that he did last night, or is he worried that a miss might result in the quick hook?

After watching the game I came away wondering whether Xmas takes that little baseline 10 foot jumper that I think may have been our second bucket of the night. With Keita unavailable he doesn't have to look over his shoulder after every decision he makes because JB doesn't have the luxury of having him on the short leash. Not saying that it's fact, just wondering if the absence of Keita may change the psychology of the situation.

If baye plays I think we win by more. Here is why:

1. Jerami is not coming into the game focused on both playing two positions. Practicing at the 5 has clearly impacted his preparation for games where he is usually at the 4.

2. Rak blocks more shots but doesnt quite take up as much space as the 6'11 long wingspan keita in the zone. This at times ends up resulting in more post points given up.

3. Keita allows us to rest rak and for jb to coach him up. I dont think rak has to worry about being yanked. I do think playing against anya that face up jumper deserved a discussion to take him to the rim and get two shots at the line. Without keita rak plays through.

4. Keita is a sr and a leader. His energy has been a spark for runs that roc comes in to finish off.

5. This is somewhat related to #2 but keitas presence allows jb to be more flexible with his game plan and mix up the zone pressure points accordingly. State got comfy with attacking the middle of the zone with washington. We did better closing it off eventually but as state got a feel for how rak was defending they had few issues getting it in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom