If Fab goes pro... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Fab goes pro...

Any chance Fab comes back at all? It seems like its all but been assured hes leaving but he says he hasnt made up his mind and hes definately not ready.

Finagling a 2.0 or a guaranteed $3M? I wonder what he'll decide.

I didn't say he was going to stay in school, I said he needs to stay in school. He is not ready for the NBA. You think Andre Drummond pushed him around? What `til you see what:

Dwight Howard
Andrew Bynum
Marc Gasol

do to him. Fab has tremendous upside. But I won't blame him for taking $3M.

44cuse

I have no doubts we are a top 5 team with or without Fab next season.

My point is that if you take an objective look at his skillset...ain't no way in hell that dude is ready for a jump to the league in 2012.

I think we're a top 25 team next year. But not a top 5 team. We're likely losing Dion, Scoop, Joseph and maybe Fab. Those are 4 of the 5 guys usually playing at the end of games.

We have a TRUE 7 footer. On any other team, the offense would run through the middle. That dude should be averaging a double-double for the season. Yet, has he ever been an offensive "go to guy"?

No...because Melo can't finish around the rim, has mediocre rebounding skills and poor decision making (ie/ really bad passes).

This is something that is largely ignored. How does a team have an athletic 7'0" center who's projected to leave early as a first-round pick but who's not able to contribute anything offensively to his college team? That's nuts. Boeheim doesn't even trust the kid to catch the ball and dunk over smaller players.

i've lost count of the big men we faced this season who've outplayed him underneath.

On BCS teams, darn near all of them except for Patric Young and Herb Pope (against whom Fab played legitimately well).

I think we're a top 25 team next year. But not a top 5 team. We're likely losing Dion, Scoop, Joseph and maybe Fab. Those are 4 of the 5 guys usually playing at the end of games.
It all depends on how they develop but talent wise and fitting together in their roles, I think we're better. Defense should still be very good and with Cooney we will have some serious 3 point shooting, also factor in MCW can shoot it, a senior Triche and an increased role for Southerland and I think 3 point shooting will be the least of our worries next year. We lose Dion's penetration but get MCW's vision. Also DC2 is a guy we can post up for a low post threat. Very balanced team.

It all depends on how they develop but talent wise and fitting together in their roles, I think we're better. Defense should still be very good and with Cooney we will have some serious 3 point shooting, also factor in MCW can shoot it, a senior Triche and an increased role for Southerland and I think 3 point shooting will be the least of our worries next year. We lose Dion's penetration but get MCW's vision. Also DC2 is a guy we can post up for a low post threat. Very balanced team.

It's too early for what-ifs about next year, but this reminds me of one concern I'll have: lack of a natural leader. Our better teams have one (Scoop and Rautins recently). Our worse ones don't. Carter-Williams looks to have the personality for it, though he'll still be a young guy next year. No one else seems to. We'll see.

Hard to blame the guy for the offense not running thru him when our guards only attempt to feed the post once or twice a game.

Yeah, how can they feed the post when 90% of the time, Fab's out around the 3 pt line setting screens?

It's too early for what-ifs about next year, but this reminds me of one concern I'll have: lack of a natural leader. Our better teams have one (Scoop and Rautins recently). Our worse ones don't. Carter-Williams looks to have the personality for it, though he'll still be a young guy next year. No one else seems to. We'll see.
Did you forget about Brandon? Next year will be BT's team. He will be the leader. He will have played here 4 years and all with very good teams.

MCW seems like a smart kid and a team player. He will easily adapt and defer to BT. DC2 already knows BT.

I think next years team will have a high Bball IQ. I think they will stress good D with BT and MCW leading by example. I think the leadership of next years team will be a plus.

Yeah, how can they feed the post when 90% of the time, Fab's out around the 3 pt line setting screens?

And don't you realize Fab is out at the 3 pt line because that is more beneficial than wasting attempts down low. If Fab had shown the ability to dominate down low don't you think JB would love to use it? He did feed AO. Seems more reasonable to me, that Fab has not shown the ability down low in practice.

Next year we should be top-4 in the BE along with ND, Lou, and Gtown. This assumes Lamb and/or Drummond leave.

Because it's not like Melo can hit jumpers better than 95% of college centers and is good with his free throws too.

Because it's not like Melo can hit jumpers better than 95% of college centers and is good with his free throws too.

He's a 63% FT shooter. In the NBA, that's Shaq territory.

You guys shouldn't judge talent after a loss :(

Melo will have the longer career in the NBA.
Is Melo ready to be a major contributor...no.
Does he need to come back in order to be successful...no.
Will Dion get drafted...maybe.
Will he make a roster......no.

Dion has a harder time scoring off the dribble than he should if that is how he intends to make his living. If he can't throw it down, he is about 50/50 when trying to lay it in. The next runner or pull up in the lane he makes may very well be his first....well, ok, hyberbole....it'll be the second. He had a great night last night for us, but noone is drafting him for this 3 point shooting ability.

Did you forget about Brandon? Next year will be BT's team. He will be the leader. He will have played here 4 years and all with very good teams.

MCW seems like a smart kid and a team player. He will easily adapt and defer to BT. DC2 already knows BT.

I think next years team will have a high Bball IQ. I think they will stress good D with BT and MCW leading by example. I think the leadership of next years team will be a plus.

Nope, didn't forget (and wasn't looking to start one of those arguments where everyone chimes in and lobbies that his favorite player is a clear leader). But I've gotten no indication during three years that either of next year's seniors is the type of guy who's a leader - someone the rest of the team will rally around. We'll see what happens.

Dion has a harder time scoring off the dribble than he should if that is how he intends to make his living. If he can't throw it down, he is about 50/50 when trying to lay it in. The next runner or pull up in the lane he makes may very well be his first....well, ok, hyberbole....it'll be the second. He had a great night last night for us, but noone is drafting him for this 3 point shooting ability.

This might actually be true; that exact thought (verbatim) crossed my mind when he missed that first-half floater last night. He might've made one in a nonconference game, but I have no doubt that he's at least 0-20 on that shot in the last two months. It's truly a lower percentage shot than a fadeaway 25-footer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom