If Grant leaves early and Coleman takes a medical redshirt we have 9 healthy scholarship players | Syracusefan.com

If Grant leaves early and Coleman takes a medical redshirt we have 9 healthy scholarship players

Alsacs

Living Legend
for 2014-2015.
That isn't enough to practice 5 on 5. I hope Coleman takes a medical redshirt and gets himself healthy.

PG-Joseph,
SG- Cooney
SF- Roberson
PF- McCollough
C-Christmas
bench, Gbinije PG-SG-SF, Patterson SG, Johnson SG-SF, Obokoh C,
out for the season most likely: Coleman

That is 10 scholarship players for 2014-2015. It is crazy we will have 3 walkons on scholarship if we don't add anyone else before next season. Assuming Grant is gone and I believe he is after the news about his family has been discussed.

What are the chances we will add a 5th year guy? I doubt we will do anything, but it is truly frustrating to go 3 straight seasons with no PG option off the bench.

1) I don't think it's a given that Coleman will sit out the year.

2) I think Grant is staying.

3) We'll be fine. This is Syracuse basketball and we're pretty awesome.

That's why I'm not all that concerned when we talk about JUCOs and 5th years and people say that they don't consider the player to be Syracuse caliber.

All they really need to be is better than our walk-ons and they should have a positive impact, at least for practice purposes if nothing else.

I agree we will be fine and will be an NCAA tournament team next season. My point is we won't have enough scholarship players to practice if Grant is gone. Expect nothing out of Coleman let that kid get healthy if I was JB I would make that decision for him. Let him take an AO medical redshirt like he did in either 2006 or 2007 I forget which season.
I love Boeheim, but he is stubborn and I do worry about some of these decisions. If Joseph sprains is ankle and is out for 2 weeks who is going to play PG? Gbinije isn't a PG, Cooney, Patterson, Johnson aren't PGs.

Grant is most likely gone, from the board insiders who have some knowledge.
Here is the thread.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/ennis-and-grant.73878/

Would really, really love to swipe Graham from Kansas and Providence..

Alsacs said:
I agree we will be fine and will be an NCAA tournament team next season. My point is we won't have enough scholarship players to practice if Grant is gone. Expect nothing out of Coleman let that kid get healthy if I was JB I would make that decision for him. Let him take an AO medical redshirt like he did in either 2006 or 2007 I forget which season. I love Boeheim, but he is stubborn and I do worry about some of these decisions. If Joseph sprains is ankle and is out for 2 weeks who is going to play PG? Gbinije isn't a PG, Cooney, Patterson, Johnson aren't PGs. Grant is most likely gone, from the board insiders who have some knowledge. Here is the thread. http://syracusefan.com/threads/ennis-and-grant.73878/

How do you know he isn't trying to get a JUCO or 5th year PG? Many here made the same claim about last year when in fact he did go after a couple. He's not just going to take a body if he feels G or someone else will do just as well. I think he knows he has only 1 true PG next year if Ennis doesn't return.

How do you know he isn't trying to get a JUCO or 5th year PG? Many here made the same claim about last year when in fact he did go after a couple. He's not just going to take a body if he feels G or someone else will do just as well. I think he knows he has only 1 true PG next year if Ennis doesn't return.
He only had one the last two years

I will turn the question back to you how do you know he is trying to get a JUCO or 5th year player? We know he went after Antonio Bartin last year, but he went with Tennessee. With how many people are plugged into the program we hear nothing about any new players on the horizon. I am sure the reporters covering the team have asked the question. It is isn't my job to cover SU basketball all I have posted is an opinion with facts backing it up.

However, your response passive aggressively attacks my opinion. Ennis is gone he declared early and the NCAA deadline is 4-15-14 thus he is gone and we all wish him well.

He only had one the last two years

Last year, not last 2.

And the point is he tried to get a 2nd last year but wasn't going to settle for just anyone that wouldn't be any better than G or worse.

That's why I'm not all that concerned when we talk about JUCOs and 5th years and people say that they don't consider the player to be Syracuse caliber.

All they really need to be is better than our walk-ons and they should have a positive impact, at least for practice purposes if nothing else.

5th year guys are not transferring to be 12th man on the team. JUCO kids may be more willing to ride the pines since they have 2-3 years of eligibility and are not as mature.

We only had 9 scholarship players in 2003 IIRC.
2003 had a Senior leader Duany, 2 perfect role playing bigs McNeil and Forth, 2 PGs Edelin and McNamara, a good bench player in Josh Pace, a forward who improved during his freshman year Hakim Warrick, and oh yeah only the top Freshman recruit in the country in future NBA superstar Carmelo Anthony.

I don't see think the comparison as the same with 9 players. I think we are a tournament team next season, but I said by statements above.

I will turn the question back to you how do you know he is trying to get a JUCO or 5th year player? We know he went after Antonio Bartin last year, but he went with Tennessee. With how many people are plugged into the program we hear nothing about any new players on the horizon. I am sure the reporters covering the team have asked the question. It is isn't my job to cover SU basketball all I have posted is an opinion with facts backing it up.

However, your response passive aggressively attacks my opinion. Ennis is gone he declared early and the NCAA deadline is 4-15-14 thus he is gone and we all wish him well.

I didn't say I do know he is. But you don't know he isn't. But if he is, but cant get anyone better than what G will give us, he's not going to take one.

And you didn't give an opinion that you think we need another PG. You said JB is stubborn and you worry about these decisions. That's not an opinion, that's stating he has made a decision not to get another PG. I can only resound to what you post.

If Ennis is gone, like last year he will try to get another unless he thinks what he can get isn't as good as G. I happen to think with another year, G will be a suitable backup.

I didn't say I do know he is. But you don't know he isn't. But if he is, but cant get anyone better than what G will give us, he's not going to take one.

And you didn't give an opinion that you think we need another PG. You said JB is stubborn and you worry about these decisions. That's not an opinion, that's stating he has made a decision not to get another PG. I can only resound to what you post.

If Ennis is gone, like last year he will try to get another unless he thinks what he can get isn't as good as G. I happen to think with another year, G will be a suitable backup.
If Gbinije is our backup PG we could be in trouble if Joseph has foul trouble or gets hurt. Expecting lightning in a bottle from a FR PG 2 years in a row in risky especially since we go after the top 50 guys over the top 10 guys. Mind you I like going after the top 50 guys if they will stay a year longer than the top 10 guys if both fit our system.

If their is ANY PG 5th year player available out there I can't see them being worse than Gbinije. Gbinije is a good SG/SF option, but his handle is only average not good or bad.
Here is Jeff Goodman's 2014 transfer list.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3550
9. Nolan Cressler, 6-4, PG, Soph., Cornell Big Red

He put up 16.8 points per game this past season for Bill Courtney in the Ivy League and will sit and have two seasons left to play. Cressler is a big, strong guard who is attracting attention from the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Pittsburgh.

10. Ian Chiles, 6-1, PG, Sr., IUPUI Jaguars (will graduate)

He will likely move up a level or two and be a good piece. Chiles is a scoring guard who averaged 15.8 points last season on a team that lost a lot of games. He’s also a Louisville, Ky., native.

These are 2 names I hope are getting kicked around in the office.

He's not just going to take a body if he feels G or someone else will do just as well.
Does he get a bonus or something if he doesn't use up all the scholarships?

I don't know this baffles me for some reason. I'd probably be a horrible coach because I'd take whatever I could get (especially if it's just a one year deal) to have a full team. Who knows, you could strike gold. No one really wanted Doug McDermott or Dellavedova or any number of low-ranked kids that come out of nowhere. And there's lots of low-ranked kids that don't amount to anything, but there's always a transfer to Marist or the Bonnies or EMU to open that scholarship back up. But an empty chair doesn't turn into anything.

If Gbinije is our backup PG we could be in trouble if Joseph has foul trouble or gets hurt. Expecting lightning in a bottle from a FR PG 2 years in a row in risky especially since we go after the top 50 guys over the top 10 guys. Mind you I like going after the top 50 guys if they will stay a year longer than the top 10 guys if both fit our system.

If their is ANY PG 5th year player available out there I can't see them being worse than Gbinije. Gbinije is a good SG/SF option, but his handle is only average not good or bad.
Here is Jeff Goodman's 2014 transfer list.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3550
9. Nolan Cressler, 6-4, PG, Soph., Cornell Big Red

He put up 16.8 points per game this past season for Bill Courtney in the Ivy League and will sit and have two seasons left to play. Cressler is a big, strong guard who is attracting attention from the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Pittsburgh.

10. Ian Chiles, 6-1, PG, Sr., IUPUI Jaguars (will graduate)

He will likely move up a level or two and be a good piece. Chiles is a scoring guard who averaged 15.8 points last season on a team that lost a lot of games. He’s also a Louisville, Ky., native.

These are 2 names I hope are getting kicked around in the office.
Weird, your Ian Chiles link goes to 7 foot 2 center Ian Chiles from Morgan State. I guess there are two guys with that name.

I don't know this baffles me for some reason. I'd probably be a horrible coach because I'd take whatever I could get (especially if it's just a one year deal) to have a full team. Who knows, you could strike gold. No one really wanted Doug McDermott or Dellavedova or any number of low-ranked kids that come out of nowhere. And there's lots of low-ranked kids that don't amount to anything, but there's always a transfer to Marist or the Bonnies or EMU to open that scholarship back up. But an empty chair doesn't turn into anything.
Yeah, we've gotten used to not having all of our scholarships occupied, but that's not the way things need to be done. It's weird to me too.

I'm not totally sure, but I wonder if it is a balancing act between recruits and walk-ons that can help with APR.

Cressler would have to sit next year, so I don't see the urgency to get him as a practice player, but I agree that it would be nice to see another PG option on next year's squad.

One bonus of not bringing in someone else is that walk-ons can use the other scholarships and help the APR.

The APR isn't a problem unless you have multiple knuckleheads on your roster. We struggled in the APR due to Paul Harris in 2009, I think Devendorf graduated so he wasn't a problem I believe, Josh Wright leaving hurt, Dayshawn Wright, and Mike Jones probably hurt the APR during in the 2006-2009 period.
Fab Melo hurt the APR, but Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters, Michael Carter-Williams all left in good standing. I am not sure about Johnny Flynn.
Since 2003, Kueth Duany, Jeremy McNeil, Josh Pace, Hakim Warrick, Craig Forth, Gerry McNamara, Matt Gorman, Terrance Roberts, Mookie Watkins,Demetrius Nichols, Kristoff Ongenant, Arinze Onuaku, Andy Rautins, Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, Kris Joseph, Brandon Triche, and hopefully C.J. Fair and Baye Keita will have all graduated our APR will be fine. Unless we have more Fab Melo/Paul Harris who don't go to classes we will be fine. If I missed anyone please add them.

We only had 9 scholarship players in 2003 IIRC.

This is a common fallacy that I see all the time on sports forums. The fact that a past team overcame a shortcoming has no bearing on future teams. Having only 9 scholarship players is not a a good thing.

I agree we will be fine and will be an NCAA tournament team next season. My point is we won't have enough scholarship players to practice if Grant is gone. Expect nothing out of Coleman let that kid get healthy if I was JB I would make that decision for him. Let him take an AO medical redshirt like he did in either 2006 or 2007 I forget which season.
I love Boeheim, but he is stubborn and I do worry about some of these decisions. If Joseph sprains is ankle and is out for 2 weeks who is going to play PG? Gbinije isn't a PG, Cooney, Patterson, Johnson aren't PGs.

Grant is most likely gone, from the board insiders who have some knowledge.
Here is the thread.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/ennis-and-grant.73878/
If the staff were to bring in anyone other than a 5th year graduate transfer it will reduce the available scholarships for the 2015 class. We already have 2 commits and if Howard pops next week that's 3 slots filled leaving only 1 other available for Bryant/Diagne/Jones. The staff has to look at more than just next year in making decisions. They won't just take a body if it means they have to pass on a high level kid the following year for lack of space. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet for the future good.

If the staff were to bring in anyone other than a 5th year graduate transfer it will reduce the available scholarships for the 2015 class. We already have 2 commits and if Howard pops next week that's 3 slots filled leaving only 1 other available for Bryant/Diagne/Jones. The staff has to look at more than just next year in making decisions. They won't just take a body if it means they have to pass on a high level kid the following year for lack of space. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet for the future good.
Your assuming though one of Joseph, McCollough, Roberson don't blowup next year and leave for the NBA draft.
Part of the reason Ennis is leaving is because his numbers are overinflated because he played 35.7 mpg because we had no depth behind him. If Ennis was playing high 20 mpg his number are probably 10.1 ppg, 4 apg, 1.7 spg and maybe he comes back. Joseph is going to get the same minutes next year because we only have G as a backup PG. If Joseph puts up Ennis numbers 12.9 ppg, 5.5 apg he may go as well. We can't expect players to stay anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom