If Grant leaves early and Coleman takes a medical redshirt we have 9 healthy scholarship players | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Grant leaves early and Coleman takes a medical redshirt we have 9 healthy scholarship players

I'm not totally sure, but I wonder if it is a balancing act between recruits and walk-ons that can help with APR.

Only those on scholie count. So the walk-ons wouldn't count unless they were out on scholie.

Your assuming though one of Joseph, McCollough, Roberson don't blowup next year and leave for the NBA draft.
Part of the reason Ennis is leaving is because his numbers are overinflated because he played 35.7 mpg because we had no depth behind him. If Ennis was playing high 20 mpg his number are probably 10.1 ppg, 4 apg, 1.7 spg and maybe he comes back. Joseph is going to get the same minutes next year because we only have G as a backup PG. If Joseph puts up Ennis numbers 12.9 ppg, 5.5 apg he may go as well. We can't expect players to stay anymore.
We should be so lucky. From all accounts Joseph isn't anywhere near as good or polished as Ennis was coming in. Ennis played at a big time hs program, had tons of top international competition too. Joseph has not had that. Would you give up one of Bryant/Diagne/Jones to bring in a juco PG? If he was like UL's Chris Jones sure but all those top guys are already taken. If the guy is only somewhat better than MG, then no. If we get Howard that provides PG insurance for the following year. If we don't that opens a spot. We should know Monday.

We should be so lucky. From all accounts Joseph isn't anywhere near as good or polished as Ennis was coming in. Ennis played at a big time hs program, had tons of top international competition too. Joseph has not had that. Would you give up one of Bryant/Diagne/Jones to bring in a juco PG? If he was like UL's Chris Jones sure but all those top guys are already taken. If the guy is only somewhat better than MG, then no. If we get Howard that provides PG insurance for the following year. If we don't that opens a spot. We should know Monday.
Honestly I don't follow BB recruiting enough to know about any 2016 kids. I like our 2015 class, but I just think you can't compete for conference titles, national championships with only 1 PG on your roster. I would take any PG who could play double minutes a game. As SoBeCuse has said Kansas, Duke, all these top schools bring waves of talent in and they compete for their minutes. I am okay with having as much talent as possible unless you have a Carmelo prospect. We don't need 1 guy for 35 mpg and say to all other recruits sorry you have to ride the pine. I would rather to 2 kids get 20 mpgs if they are solid then 1 guy for 35 mpg because if that kid struggles your screwed and have no plan behind them.

This is a common fallacy that I see all the time on sports forums. The fact that a past team overcame a shortcoming has no bearing on future teams. Having only 9 scholarship players is not a a good thing.

Couldnt agree more. If it was so great it would be the norm, not an anomaly.

This is a common fallacy that I see all the time on sports forums. The fact that a past team overcame a shortcoming has no bearing on future teams. Having only 9 scholarship players is not a a good thing.

I'm not advocating the shorter roster. The OP stated that we didn't have enough people to practice 5 on 5. I was simply pointing out that we overcame that problem before.

We now have lost Hart, Fair, Keita, Grant, Ennis and only have McCollough, and Joseph coming in.

That is 10 scholarship players and Coleman looks like he is out hopefully he can get healthy. We only have 9 scholarship athletes right now for 2014-2015.

We now have lost Hart, Fair, Keita, Grant, Ennis and only have McCollough, and Joseph coming in.

That is 10 scholarship players and Coleman looks like he is out hopefully he can get healthy. We only have 9 scholarship athletes right now for 2014-2015.
Will be thin next season for sure. So the staff will bring in 4 recruits in the 2015 class to get back to 13. They obviously didn't expect Ennis and Grant to leave. Ennis blew up I'm sure they expected him to be here at least 2 years. Jerami who knows what that thought process is (not an NBA 4, not a skilled 3...good luck) thankfully there are foolish teams like the T-Wolves for these type situations.

Will be thin next season for sure. So the staff will bring in 4 recruits in the 2015 class to get back to 13. They obviously didn't expect Ennis and Grant to leave. Ennis blew up I'm sure they expected him to be here at least 2 years. Jerami who knows what that thought process is (not an NBA 4, not a skilled 3...good luck) thankfully there are foolish teams like the T-Wolves for these type situations.
I didn't expect Grant to stay I will say that. Ennis was a shocker for sure. However, we need to expect all our players are leaving pretty much IMO. Ennis's stats are inflated because he played 35.6 mpg, JB rides his horses, but what it does is elevate their stats and that helps their draft stock. JB doesn't Grant shooting jumpers so why would Grant come back to work on his jump shot when JB will tell him to score and not worry about his jump shot. I don't play Grant for wanting to develop while getting paid. He wouldn't have shot jumpers here next year or JB would have rode him hard.

I didn't expect Grant to stay I will say that. Ennis was a shocker for sure. However, we need to expect all our players are leaving pretty much IMO. Ennis's stats are inflated because he played 35.6 mpg, JB rides his horses, but what it does is elevate their stats and that helps their draft stock. JB doesn't Grant shooting jumpers so why would Grant come back to work on his jump shot when JB will tell him to score and not worry about his jump shot. I don't play Grant for wanting to develop while getting paid. He wouldn't have shot jumpers here next year or JB would have rode him hard.
Maybe... but if Grant worked on his perimeter shot this summer and demonstrated in practice the ability to make them IMO he gets to take them next year. Same situation as John Wallace and Derick Coleman. Neither was much of a shooter as a soph and JB wanted them on the block. Both got way better and took a lot of outside shots their last 2 seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom