If Hughes returns next year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Hughes returns next year...

I guess we can forget about getting Seth Towns or Tape then.
I don’t see them on the roster yet and Ivy league players don’t usually come to the ACC and make a huge impact. If they come that means we’re losing more than just Hughes next year. How many years in a row have we clubbed Cornel? Aren’t they from the Ivy League?

I don’t see them on the roster yet and Ivy league players don’t usually come to the ACC and make a huge impact. If they come that means we’re losing more than just Hughes next year. How many years in a row have we clubbed Cornel? Aren’t they from the Ivy League?
towns was the player of the year in the conference. Those guys are usually pretty good. How do the guys from ECU do when going to the ACC?

towns was the player of the year in the conference. Those guys are usually pretty good. How do the guys from ECU do when going to the ACC?
Good point. I hope they come and are all ACC, but there’s a lot to learn in one year and who’s time on the court are they taking from?

Good point. I hope they come and are all ACC, but there’s a lot to learn in one year and who’s time on the court are they taking from?
Eli is leaving 40 minutes up for grabs when he leaves.

I imagine Towns would move in to Eli's place. Towns wouldn't be coming if Eli stays. As for tape, he plays the 5 from day 1. Sidibe would move to a back up role. Which is fine by me.

risk/reward. its not as simple as just saying go cash in now.

cashing in for $250k a year or less is fine to say - but you can do that next year too... and try to improve your stock for a $50mil+ career

there are no right or wrong answers. players have to make their own decisions.

High stays another year and he goes from 250+ a year to 50mil+ career? What specific skills do you see coming from him that would leap frog with another year of CBB? If he goes for a PhD program and stay till he turns 30 he could have a 250mil+ career?

risk/reward. its not as simple as just saying go cash in now.

cashing in for $250k a year or less is fine to say - but you can do that next year too... and try to improve your stock for a $50mil+ career

there are no right or wrong answers. players have to make their own decisions.

I can't really agree with this.

The best scenario he can have is staying an extra year and being a non lotto first rounder and that is very unlikely given age and trends. But say he does that might get him $6M guaranteed. After that he has to prove he is a legit player to get more. And the path to a second contract is no easier if he stays or leave.

Your post seems to imply that he develops more at Syracuse next year, than he would in the G-League or Europe, which really isn't the case anymore.

Plenty of players are now going undrafted, developing outside of college, proving their worth, and then getting nice 2nd contracts from teams, (in fact more quickly than a first rounder can) You don't need to be a first rounder, and you don't need to be in college to develop. Look at Toronto, they have 6 players who are contributing a lot or at least a bit this year who are either undrafted (5) or were a late second rounder (1)

Fred Van VanVleet is looking to get a 80+ million contract next year. He has already pocketed about $20M since going undrafted.

Terrence Davis, an outsanding rookie, went undrafted and is due for a much bigger contract in 2 years. (on track for $10 million a year at some point)

Chris Boucher was undrafted and he will probably be able to eek out another $5 million (over term. maybe not per year) in his next contract.

Norm Powell was a 2nd rounder (47th overall). After 2 promising years, he got a $44 million contract.

Matt Thomas was undrafted after an undistinguished career at Iowa St, went to Europe, and came back and got a guaranteed $2.5 million.

Oshae Brissett seemed to be regressing a bit at Syracuse as a sophomore, and he seems to have found a good spot in Toronto on a 2 way contract. He is developing just as good here. Not sure though if he has a career long term. He still has some development to do.

Last edited:
I would be mad at Hughes if he came back here (and would love it as purely a cuse fan).

High stays another year and he goes from 250+ a year to 50mil+ career? What specific skills do you see coming from him that would leap frog with another year of CBB? If he goes for a PhD program and stay till he turns 30 he could have a 250mil+ career?

The clearest skill would be shooting consistency. If he comes back and bangs down 40% 3's, it'll be worth it.
Ball handling would be the other.

But for the record I am not saying he should stay or he should leave. I am not saying he will make 50 mil if he stays or only 250k per year if he leaves.

All I am saying is that you or I or anyone else in here doesnt understand how close they are to a lottery ticket and we also dont understand the true risk vs reward for THE PLAYER. Automatically saying he should leave because he is 22 or 23 and can go make 40k-250k MAY not be the correct answer. Its literally impossible to tell until it is too late.

Last edited:
The clearest skill would be shooting consistency. If he comes back and bangs down 40% 3's, it'll be worth it.
Ball handling would be the other.

But for the record I am not saying he should stay or he should leave. I am not saying he will make 50 mil if he stays or only 250k per year if he leaves.

All I am saying is that you or I or anyone else in here doesnt understand how close they are to a lottery ticket and we also dont understand the true risk vs reward for THE PLAYER. Automatically saying he should leave because he is 22 or 23 and can go make 40k-250k MAY not be the correct answer. Its literally impossible to tell until it is too late.

No one knows for sure either way. But he has been around and plenty of data points to see what he brings vs the uncertainty of a one and done.

His 3 point shot consistency is what it is, he can't improve that number because it's not up to him, it depends more on the rest of the team's ability to draw defenders away or set picks to get him open shots. Looking at next year's team it's basically the same.

I said this two months ago. I’m thinking of Eli not SU. There’s a reason there are grad transfers. SU is not immune from it. This program is trending down and has been for the past four years. Too bad if you can’t deal with it. There’s a lot of reasons why Eli might want to go to a team that has a chance to win a national championship or just make the NCAA Tournament.

Examples of the star player on the team leaving a major D-1 power 5 conference program...

I said this two months ago. I’m thinking of Eli not SU. There’s a reason there are grad transfers. SU is not immune from it. This program is trending down and has been for the past four years. Too bad if you can’t deal with it. There’s a lot of reasons why Eli might want to go to a team that has a chance to win a national championship or just make the NCAA Tournament.

From reading your posts in this thread, you are the one having a hard time dealing with it. The idea that he would grad transfer to another school is absurd, especially as he has spoken how SU was always one of his dream schools. i doubt he comes back for a 5th year of college but if he did I would bet my house it would be to SU and not another school. And I love how you insinuate SU has no chance at making the tourney next year. All of these young kids should improve.

The flip side

In your Syracuse career, you averaged something like 17 points, 9 boards your junior season. I’m not sure how much you truly considered leaving college then, but now, the pressure for you to leave after your junior year with those kind of stats would be immense. What do you think about that kind of environment for good underclassmen in college basketball and what might you have missed had you gone after your junior year?

Well, I wouldn’t be getting my number retired. I wouldn’t have had that magical run in ’96. I just couldn’t imagine missing my senior year. My life would be so much different. I probably wouldn’t have gotten drafted by the Knicks, which means I wouldn’t be working for the Knicks, now. You know, I wish I could have gone back to Syracuse for four more years. Are you kidding me? It was the greatest four years of my life and the greatest college campus on the planet. I loved every second of it.

When I was contemplating leaving after my junior year, it was only because I had played so well and they didn’t expect what I did against Arkansas and Corliss Williamson. He was rated so high and I had like 27-9 on him. And I was just like, ‘If he’s a top 5 player, then what am I?’ So I had to enter the draft from that perspective. And then I realized I was going to be a second-round draft pick. But in workouts, I started moving up. I got confirmation from (Bernie) Bickerstaff, when he was in Denver, that if I was available, he was going to definitely take me at 15. So then I took that information and thought if I moved up that much – from second round to 15 – I might as well go back to school and really work my ass off all summer and see if I can be a top 5, top 10 pick. That’s what factored into my decision to go back to school. And it was the best decision I made.

The flip side

In your Syracuse career, you averaged something like 17 points, 9 boards your junior season. I’m not sure how much you truly considered leaving college then, but now, the pressure for you to leave after your junior year with those kind of stats would be immense. What do you think about that kind of environment for good underclassmen in college basketball and what might you have missed had you gone after your junior year?

Well, I wouldn’t be getting my number retired. I wouldn’t have had that magical run in ’96. I just couldn’t imagine missing my senior year. My life would be so much different. I probably wouldn’t have gotten drafted by the Knicks, which means I wouldn’t be working for the Knicks, now. You know, I wish I could have gone back to Syracuse for four more years. Are you kidding me? It was the greatest four years of my life and the greatest college campus on the planet. I loved every second of it.

When I was contemplating leaving after my junior year, it was only because I had played so well and they didn’t expect what I did against Arkansas and Corliss Williamson. He was rated so high and I had like 27-9 on him. And I was just like, ‘If he’s a top 5 player, then what am I?’ So I had to enter the draft from that perspective. And then I realized I was going to be a second-round draft pick. But in workouts, I started moving up. I got confirmation from (Bernie) Bickerstaff, when he was in Denver, that if I was available, he was going to definitely take me at 15. So then I took that information and thought if I moved up that much – from second round to 15 – I might as well go back to school and really work my ass off all summer and see if I can be a top 5, top 10 pick. That’s what factored into my decision to go back to school. And it was the best decision I made.
Thank you for the flip side! Wow! This is not your ordinary post. Hi!

The big kid from Virginia Tech last year
You're absolutely not wrong but their coach left and the roster was depleted, so I would consider that one an extreme.

The funny this is that Virginia Tech would probably be in a just as good, if not better, position at this point if he stayed than Florida is right now with him.

You said this two months ago? So you’re doubling down on this stupidity?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom