If it turns out to be true, I like the hire | Syracusefan.com

If it turns out to be true, I like the hire

Orangetradition44

2nd String
I've been impressed with Shafer since he showed up. He has a lot of qualities that I love in a head coach... Hell, he's more like coach Mac than Marrone.

At a coaching clinic I attended, the two SU coaches that made an impression... Shaf and Wheat. Impressive guys and players coaches.

I've been impressed with Shafer since he showed up. He has a lot of qualities that I love in a head coach... Hell, he's more like coach Mac than Marrone.

At a coaching clinic I attended, the two SU coaches that made an impression... Shaf and Wheat. Impressive guys and players coaches.
Does Shafer have a head coach personality? What's your impression of him as a leader?

Even without the current offensive staff?
Where would the current offensive staff be going this late in the game? I don't see any of them outside of Rob Moore joining the Bills.

Yes. Even without Hack. I still think he may end up in Buffalo. Personally, I don't see hack as a head coach. I think a WHOLE team can rally around Shafer, while some skill guys would rally to Hack.

But I think a majority of the staff on both sides if the ball will be retained. Just my gut feeling.

Hack is high energy but he's also a laid back, west coaster who wants to be the players friend... Remind you of anyone?

Even without the current offensive staff?

Yes. Even without Hack. I still think he may end up in Buffalo. Personally, I don't see hack as a head coach. I think a WHOLE team can rally around Shafer, while some skill guys would rally to Hack.

But I think a majority of the staff on both sides if the ball will be retained. Just my gut feeling.

Hack is high energy but he's also a laid back, west coaster who wants to be the players friend... Remind you of anyone?
Did you really just compare Hack to GRob??

Shame on you. You should ban yourself from the board for an hour.

As a leader? Have you been to practices? Players love him. He's intense. He's emotional. He's a born coach. And his scheme is FUN.

College QB, son of a long time coach, well known in the Midwest.

Does Shafer have a head coach personality? What's your impression of him as a leader?

I wouldn't mind Hackett but he's a completely high risk high reward guy. And if Hackett suceeds he becomes a big name on the coaching scene right away. Shafer is the safer pick and you can't discount him having a high upside.

I am happy with the hire just announce it soon if he's our guy.

No, you just did. I just ask if he reminded you of anyone. He was a hip hop instructor at UCLA or somewhere before getting a quality control job in the NFL, tho (nepotism doesn't mean he's not talented).

Did you really just compare Hack to GRob??

Shame on you. You should ban yourself from the board for an hour.

As a leader? Have you been to practices? Players love him. He's intense. He's emotional. He's a born coach. And his scheme is FUN.

Yeah, but you just described Dan Conley as well. Does Shafer carry himself like the guy who can be responsible for the whole operation? Public face of the program? Visionary? Surrogate father to young kids? Schmoozer of big boosters? etc.

Where would the current offensive staff be going this late in the game? I don't see any of them outside of Rob Moore joining the Bills.

Hackett could be QB Coach with Bills. Adkins could go back South.

So you want to totally dismantle what we've built on offense? Sounds like a plan. Good offensive coaches are more important (and unique) than defensive ones. A Shafer only hire is unbelievably risky, at a time when we are taking a step up in class. Would be very disappointing.

I'm with you. If true I'm on board and like the hire. As for internal hires I preferred him to Hackett.

He's a no nonsense football coach period. As HC he needs to be a CEO and manage the program - we'll see if he can do that. X and O's I LOVE. I LOVE his defense. High pressure get after it get in your face. It's the best defense to run in college - same thing Rutgers does - dictate tempo and force the offense to make quick decisions and mistakes. Send more rushers than you can block and do it from all over the field so there is no trend.

The D will get even better as we continue to build depth and get real D1 size at certain positions.

Marrone obviously thought highly enough of him to let the guy run his D and hire HIS guys to help coach it; Morrison and Daoust.

I would expect Morrison to take over the role of DC but that will be interesting to see if he would promote or keep the title himself.

Onward and upward. I have to believe Schaf is smart enough to keep the offense moving in the direction it is. Even if we lose Hackett I would HAVE to believe he'll go with a Coordinator who's going to continue in the same direction, not switch up to pro style power I type football.

I think at the end of the day we'll have 4 coaches to replace. We'll be ok.

Dismantle what we've built? You're jumping the gun... You have no idea what is in store for the offense or its staff if Shaf or hack are named OC. We had a fifth year senior QB, two senior wideouts and the best offensive line in maybe... , ever? One year doesn't mean we've built . Aren't you at all concerned that Marrone played a big part of what we did on offense?

I think Shaf will be a better college HC than Hack. Just my opinion. I also think they will try to retain Hack, not dismantle the staff.

So you want to totally dismantle what we've built on offense? Sounds like a plan. Good offensive coaches are more important (and unique) than defensive ones. A Shafer only hire is unbelievably risky, at a time when we are taking a step up in class. Would be very disappointing.

No. Not really. I love Dan. He's legendary. He loves SU and he's enthusiastic, but I don't think he has a coordinator's mind, much less an innovative coordinator's mind.

Yeah, but you just described Dan Conley as well. Does Shafer carry himself like the guy who can be responsible for the whole operation? Public face of the program? Visionary? Surrogate father to young kids? Schmoozer of big boosters? etc.

I can't see Marrone taking hack. He's not going to dismantle a team he took pride in building. Hack is staying. Bank on it

Oh, I didn't respond to your public face line of questioning...

Yes, I think he can. As long as you don't mind a tell-it-like-it-is-with-an-occasional-curse-word type spokesman.

Ok. So what are you worried about? Did you just talk yourself off the ledge?

I can't see Marrone taking hack. He's not going to dismantle a team he took pride in building. Hack is staying. Bank on it

Seems like a Kyle Flood-type hire to me.

I would disagree. Shafer seems unlike flood or spaziano at bc. He runs an exciting defense. Actually, it's a defense that is similar to our offense In that it dictates game tempo. Flood is boring and was the o line coach after he was stripped of oc responsibilities. Shafer drops nuggets like "stats are for losers" which is a great clip and is completely true. The only stat he cares about is the scoreboard. Not sure what happened at Stanford but harbaugh hired him initially to be his d coordinator and assistant head coach.

The players do love him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ok. So what are you worried about? Did you just talk yourself off the ledge?

Cusefan78 vs Cuseman 78. Happens all the time. It was even weirder when they had the same picture.

He's going to do whatever he thinks is best for Doug Marrone here and now. If he thinks he can use Hack, and my guess is he'd take him for the Analytics position they've created, if anything at this point, he'll offer him a job.

I built things at my former employers, but if my new job requires tapping into the programs or talent pool I developed and left behind, I could care less about the legacy or the needs of the employer I left behind, I gather the resources and people I need to feed my family going forward.

That said, I hope Hack stays at SU.

Cusefan78 vs Cuseman 78. Happens all the time. It was even weirder when they had the same picture.

Do I have to beg this guy to change his screen name already?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom