If McMurphy says it, I believe it- BE Expansion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If McMurphy says it, I believe it- BE Expansion

What's interesting is that WVU has also already sent half of the required $5 million exit fee to the Big East, and it contends that by accepting the down payment, the conference agreed to the immediate withdrawal. They are purty cleaver in Morgantown.

Not so much.

They sent the payment to the office and said "See! They took it!". The Big East never cashed the check, knowing what WVU was going to claim if they did.

WVU sued the Big East in Morgantown, arguing the conference had violated its "fiduciary responsibility" to members by failing to balance the number of football-playing and non-football schools.

What's interesting is that WVU has also already sent half of the required $5 million exit fee to the Big East, and it contends that by accepting the down payment, the conference agreed to the immediate withdrawal. They are purty cleaver in Morgantown.

Has SU paid any of the exit fee.
The conference bylaws indicate that 50% of the exit fees are due when notification is given. The rest is due upon leaving. WfVU simply followed the procedure, nothing more.

I would've expected Pitt & Syracuse to have done whatever was required of them in this regard.

Not so much.

They sent the payment to the office and said "See! They took it!". The Big East never cashed the check, knowing what WVU was going to claim if they did.

Are you sure that the BE has not cashed that check? I have not read that. Anyway, I don't believe whether they did or did not will carry much significance. The BE is digging in and WVU will attempt to make it as uncomfortable as possible for them.

Are you sure that the BE has not cashed that check? I have not read that. Anyway, I don't believe whether they did or did not will carry much significance. The BE is digging in and WVU will attempt to make it as uncomfortable as possible for them.

I remember reading somewhere that the Big East said they weren't cashing the check because they thought WVU would use doing so as a ploy that they accepted their departure effective 2012.

WVU has no leverage here. There's no reason for the Big East to let them leave early.

The Big 12's TV contract? That's the Big 12's problem.

Media types:

1)Just like the last additions BE did a nice job grabbing some nice markets.

2)On the empitical side, the additions give them much better numbers if BCS AQ Conf are done the same way next time.

3)12 noon games in 3 time zones.

4)These are schools with potential. AQ access can help them take next step. BE still has the "lesser market but great localized following" of ECU and USM, etc to add if/when more teams leave.

5)On field football should be better, but Navy and Air Force for further stability is needed.

With Comcast needing many more hours of sports they think $10 mill per team for FB in next contract is very realistic.

When are the expansion teams going to be allowed to join? If these teams can not join for another year, it will be hard for SU to leave early because it may leave BE without enough teams to compete. The ACC and Big 12 should be contacting the MWC and Conference USA to guarantee home and homes to allow the expansion teams to leave early in exchange for SU, Pitt, and WVU's exit.

4)These are schools with potential. AQ access can help them take next step. BE still has the "lesser market but great localized following" of ECU and USM, etc to add if/when more teams leave.

Yeah that AQ is going away in the new BCS. The Big East better find some better bowl tie-in's or else Big East football is dead! The Pinstripe Bowl can't be the place where the conference champ goes. And I have a funny feeling the Champs Bowl won't be staying with the BE much longer. Just a hunch.

When are the expansion teams going to be allowed to join? If these teams can not join for another year, it will be hard for SU to leave early because it may leave BE without enough teams to compete. The ACC and Big 12 should be contacting the MWC and Conference USA to guarantee home and homes to allow the expansion teams to leave early in exchange for SU, Pitt, and WVU's exit.
Not set in stone, but looks like new schools start in fall 2013.

Yeah that AQ is going away in the new BCS.
That's one possibility.

It would be funny... the current BCS system caused much of the current upheaval. Once those changes become reality (and regional affilition is finished) they ditch the system.

The BE could possibly use continuation of the current system with an automatic 3-5 year BE inclusion as leverage to let the departing 3 leave early. BE (and departures) throws some $ to C-USA & MWC. C-USA & MWC do their pseudo-merger thing and all is well.