If Nunes magician wanted to get truly ambitious with this... | Syracusefan.com

If Nunes magician wanted to get truly ambitious with this...

cuseinchina

Starter
He'd put out feelers for a charter bus company to donate a couple buses to take down 50-100 deserving kids FROM SYRACUSE along with a parent/guardian, and work out a group hotel rate and throw that in as well. Those kids would be fans for life. - hotels for 50 could be had for $5000.

Not knocking the initial project - it's awesome.

I'd rather be poor than take a bus from Syracuse to Houston.

That said, it'd be funny if you got the same group to Dallas in April. And then ... The Alamo (the basement, at least). Texas could fall to the Otto-man Empire by June ... thanks to the "Children of the Orange."

Last edited:
I'd rather be poor than take a bus from Syracuse to Houston.

That said, it'd be funny if you got the same group to Dallas in April. And then ... The Alamo (the basement, at least). Texas could fall to the Otto-man Empire by June ... thanks to the "Children of the Orange."

He'd put out feelers for a charter bus company to donate a couple buses to take down 50-100 deserving kids FROM SYRACUSE along with a parent/guardian, and work out a group hotel rate and throw that in as well. Those kids would be fans for life. - hotels for 50 could be had for $5000.

That would also require lodging, meals, etc, and it's about a 25 hour drive from Syracuse to Houston (at least...may be closer to 30). Can't imagine such an undertaking working out too well.

OR look at it this way... someday one of these kids grows up to be a 5 star and chooses Cuse because he remembers what we did for him at the Texas Bowl.

cuseinchina said:
He'd put out feelers for a charter bus company to donate a couple buses to take down 50-100 deserving kids FROM SYRACUSE along with a parent/guardian, and work out a group hotel rate and throw that in as well. Those kids would be fans for life. - hotels for 50 could be had for $5000. Not knocking the initial project - it's awesome.

Yeah, not knocking it, but that's a terrible idea.

;)

That would also require lodging, meals, etc, and it's about a 25 hour drive from Syracuse to Houston (at least...may be closer to 30). Can't imagine such an undertaking working out too well.

Having made that roundtrip drive with two daughters 3 times when we lived in TX that wouldn't be wise. It takes too long and during this time of the year with the weather there is no easy way to travel. The idea of purchasing tickets for kids in local city is smart. Travel would be minimal and the tickets would go towards SU ticket mandatory allotment. Honestly this is a great way to support the team with a program like this if you can't afford to go to the game yourself.

This clip is missing the best scene from the Alamo...

"Pedro is working on an Adobe. Can you say that with me? AAAdobeeeee"

LOVE THIS MOVIE!!

What could possibly go wrong?

This clip is missing the best scene from the Alamo...

"Pedro is working on an Adobe. Can you say that with me? AAAdobeeeee"

LOVE THIS MOVIE!!
"... very proud of" is part of my weekly lexicon.

Great idea. I suppose you would step forward and be the first to volunteer to chaperone?

Ahh, that's a tough road putting kids on a bus for what, a 30 hour ride each way? After the first few hours I'm betting not too many kids would be enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Wicked beat me to it. I think he is already pretty ambitious.

Any long bus ride I've ever been on results in some Harry dunne destroying the bathroom and making everyone else long for the sweet release of death

Last edited:
Has anyone here considered getting ambitious and raising some $ for Keeley to go to the game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's attending, and that's a shame.

OR look at it this way... someday one of these kids grows up to be a 5 star and chooses Cuse because he remembers what we did for him at the Texas Bowl.
I highly, highly doubt this would ever happen.

Ok people dont like this. What if you switch bus for train and get Amtrak to donate the seat. Obviously would be tough on multiple levels,but think about being a kid from syracuse who has never been south of auburn, what an adventure it would be. Just seeing a different landscape is eye opening for kids who have not experienced it. Knowing there is a world other than your own is pretty powerful if your day to day isn't the greatest. And if you can't take an overnight bus or train trip than you aren't hard nosed enough to attend our bowl game ;).

And yes obviously what he's doing is very ambitious and a wonderful thing, made that clear in my initial post. Was just thinking that given the extent of the support received and people's willingness to give that doing something like this for a smaller group would be an interesting adjunct idea.

Last edited:
The responsibility of shepherding even a handful of children across country seems too much to ask of most folks. For someone trying to do something nice from behind a computer he's doing a great job.

It's a good thought, but I can't think of 50-100 below high school aged kids taking two 25-hour trips to Houston being anything but a disaster. I drove CT -> Atlanta a few times at that age and wanted to tear my hair out.

Maybe they can send them via rickshaw would be quicker than a bus as I told many buddies in Syracuse who always wanted to drive to Florida, the buzz wears off in Scranton... I am flying and will meet you down there