If the media read this board can somebody ask if we are self imposing a 3 scholly reduction this yr? | Syracusefan.com

If the media read this board can somebody ask if we are self imposing a 3 scholly reduction this yr?

Alsacs

Living Legend
It is halfway thru our regular season and this question still hasn't been reported on to my knowledge. We have 10 scholarship players and have 3 more available. If we are using them on walkons good for the APR if we aren't using them and are self imposing a reduction then we as fans should know. I don't call into the JB show, but that would be my question if I did. If the media read this board(hi, Axe) can somebody please ask this question on the record.

I had this same suspicion at the beginning of the year that you do now. I tweeted Carlson to ask this...no such luck.

It's an NCAA rule that schools can't talk about ongoing investigations until the NCAA makes their findings public.

If SU were to be self-imposing a scholarship reduction, they can't explain why (at least until the NCAA report comes out).

Which is why it's not being reported on.

It's an NCAA rule that schools can't talk about ongoing investigations until the NCAA makes their findings public.

If SU were to be self-imposing a scholarship reduction, they can't explain why (at least until the NCAA report comes out).

Which is why it's not being reported on.

Yet JB apparently confirmed in his book that part of the investigation centered on Fab's eligibility etc. I must confess I haven't read the book yet. It was part of my Christmas haul, but I have others in line in front of it, so I'm taking Carlson's word for it.

I am not questioning that the school and its representatives aren't supposed to publicly comment until findings are made public because I've read that as well. I'm just trying to reconcile how that rule is truly applied because it seems like it isn't necessarily always followed.

In addition to JB's disclosure there are multiple people here saying that they are being told things about the investigation by sources on the Hill.

It is semantics. Then the question should be how many athletes are on scholarship for the 2014-2015 season. If only have 11 players including Christian White then the answer is easy to determine. If they include walkons on scholarships we get the answer.

It is halfway thru our regular season and this question still hasn't been reported on to my knowledge. We have 10 scholarship players and have 3 more available. If we are using them on walkons good for the APR if we aren't using them and are self imposing a reduction then we as fans should know. I don't call into the JB show, but that would be my question if I did. If the media read this board(hi, Axe) can somebody please ask this question on the record.

I really don't understand how you can make a credible argument that you are self imposing a scholarship reduction when you would have used them had two guys (Ennis and Grant) not surprised you by leaving early and at the late stage that they did announce there wasn't really anyone else to bring in.

I suppose JB could have scrounged up some JUCO guy or a transfer, but I'm not sure you would then have enough scholarships available for the class we signed for next season. I also assume that we wouldn't have given the one scholarship to White if that was the strategy. Isn't it better to self impose a 3 scholarship reduction than only 2, especially when the third one is going to a walk on who isn't ever going to play?

Maybe we could also tell them that we had decided to self-forfeit wins against BC, Ga Tech, NC State, @UVA, @Duke and against Dayton in the tournament last season.

To me, it's a much more credible "self penalty" if you make the decision before the Spring signing period and actually refrain from signing people that would have taken you to that limit.

Last edited:
We are not.
Thank you for the response. While disappointing atleast our APR should do well this year so there is that silver lining.

I really don't understand how you can make a credible argument that you are self imposing a scholarship reduction when you would have used them had two guys (Ennis and Grant) not surprised you by leaving early and at the late stage that they did announce there wasn't really anyone else to bring in.

I suppose JB could have scrounged up some JUCO guy or a transfer, but I'm not sure you would then have enough scholarships available for the class we signed for next season. I also assume that we wouldn't have given the one scholarship to White if that was the strategy. Isn't it better to self impose a 3 scholarship reduction than only 2, especially when the third one is going to a walk on who isn't ever going to play?

To me, it's a much more credible "self penalty" if you make the decision before the Spring signing period and actually refrain from signing people that would have taken you to that limit.
If we use the 3 scholarships on walkons who are students more than student-athletes that will benefit our APR. The NCAA uses APR to judge academic progress if we self-imposed a 3 scholarship reduction this year we couldn't use these scholarships to improve our APR. While it wouldn't be a tough penalty on SU losing these scholarships would most definitely result in a lower APR as the 3 walkons should all help it with flying colors.

If we use the 3 scholarships on walkons who are students more than student-athletes that will benefit our APR. The NCAA uses APR to judge academic progress if we self-imposed a 3 scholarship reduction this year we couldn't use these scholarships to improve our APR. While it wouldn't be a tough penalty on SU losing these scholarships would most definitely result in a lower APR as the 3 walkons should all help it with flying colors.

Yeah, except according to Jake we aren't self-imposing and we still didn't use those extra scholarships on walk-ons. So much for it being a credible penalty.

Yeah, except according to Jake we aren't self-imposing and we still didn't use those extra scholarships on walk-ons. So much for it being a credible penalty.
We gave one of the 3 to Christian White the transfer from Monmouth and I believe if we aren't self imposing them JB has given them out to two other walkons but this hasn't been reported. JB isn't a moron we are using them if we didn't impose a reduction. Hence I created this thread. Jake confirmed we aren't self-imposing so it is easy to infer JB is using them on walkons.