If the OL is a Bit of a Question Mark, Does that Give Hunt... | Syracusefan.com

If the OL is a Bit of a Question Mark, Does that Give Hunt...

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
an advantage in the QB battle? Not saying that the OL won't turn out to be good. But, if there are questions, at least early on, would a really mobile QB suit the situation better than a guy who depends on the OL giving him lots of time to sit in the pocket?

an advantage in the QB battle? Not saying that the OL won't turn out to be good. But, if there are questions, at least early on, would a really mobile QB suit the situation better than a guy who depends on the OL giving him lots of time to sit in the pocket?

Well... generally decisions to start a QB based on stuff like that don't end well in terms of win-loss record, so if we're basing our QB selection on how bad the OL is, we're probably just a bad team.

Well... generally decisions to start a QB based on stuff like that don't end well in terms of win-loss record, so if we're basing our QB selection on how bad the OL is, we're probably just a bad team.
Wouldn't you agree that in the Pasqualoni era, the offense was built on mobile QBs and an offensive philosophy that minimized the need for an NFL-type OL? SU was pretty good back then.

i would think you would want the guy sharp enough, with an accurate and fast release to get the ball out.

we already have enough historical threads about our QBs running backwards in circles for their life. just search with the key word.....nunes.

moot anyway.

the QB is Allen.

I'm not so sure that Hunt is more athletic than Allen is but I do know that Allen is bigger.

I think people are underrating Allen's athleticism as well. Not saying he's the next RGIII or anything, but watching his highlights he can clearly move at least as well as a guy like Nassib.

EDIT: And what SmilinBob said - Allen is also a REALLY big dude. Roethlisberger isn't the best runner but he's tough to take down because he's so big. Allen is clearly not as big as Ben, but he's 6-5 and will be somewhere around 230-235 by the time the season starts. That's an awfully big dude for someone to try to take down.

Wouldn't you agree that in the Pasqualoni era, the offense was built on mobile QBs and an offensive philosophy that minimized the need for an NFL-type OL? SU was pretty good back then.

I would agree with that. However, at what point during that era did you feel that they selected the starting quarterback based on the OL vs the talent of the QB?