if true, highly positive update for Big East from NY Post | Syracusefan.com

if true, highly positive update for Big East from NY Post

sufan

Scout Team
"The Big East is prepared to take the steps necessary to quickly move on from the loss of Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC by inviting six programs to join the conference, The Post has learned.

After what was described as two days of acrimonious conference calls in which the Big East's non-FBS members seriously considered the option of splitting from their football brethren, all the schools are on the same chapter, if not the same page, sources said."

Yup...
The sooner they get their house in order, the sooner they can jettison us as dead weight. The Big East doesn't want us around any longer than absolutely needed. Hopefully they can fill our spots sooner rather than later.

"The Big East is prepared to take the steps necessary to quickly move on from the loss of Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC by inviting six programs to join the conference, The Post has learned.

After what was described as two days of acrimonious conference calls in which the Big East's non-FBS members seriously considered the option of splitting from their football brethren, all the schools are on the same chapter, if not the same page, sources said."
------------------------
Another confirmation:
"Once divided on whether to invite Boise State, the Big East is now united on extending an invitation to the Broncos, along with Air Force, Navy and UCF, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com."

Looks like the vote to increase exit fees AND add at least three new teams to the Big East will take place on Sunday. Not much of an increase compared to what others were saying just yesterday. Looks like a concession to WVU and Louisville (and maybe UCONN) in order to get the approval for any type of increase and put expansion back on track.

------------------------
Another confirmation:
"Once divided on whether to invite Boise State, the Big East is now united on extending an invitation to the Broncos, along with Air Force, Navy and UCF, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com."

It's fine that the Big East schools can finally agree on expansion, but will those schools accept the invite? That's the real question.

I wonder what this newfound "solidarity" in the Big East means for Missouri? Are they staying put in the B12?

If WVU and LVille were on the outs to the B12, would they really be this willing to work things out?

And if WVU and LVille were really going to leave for the B12, would the Big East really sell these new teams (including the service academies) a line of when they know schools are leaving?

Apparently the Big East cancelled their vote today on the exit fee. Which was smart.

However, in light of that I'm surprised about this news that the Big East has agreed on four schools to invite. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Those schools are not going to budge until that vote takes place.

If these 4 schools accept do you think the Big East will let us go early?

It's fine that the Big East schools can finally agree on expansion, but will those schools accept the invite? That's the real question.
I don't think you invite them unless you know they are going to accept. All the behind the scenes work is being done in advance of the big vote on Sunday. This is taking on Congressional Budget Vote proportions.

I don't think you invite them unless you know they are going to accept. All the behind the scenes work is being done in advance of the big vote on Sunday. This is taking on Congressional Budget Vote proportions.

I'm shocked that any of those schools would be willing to join a conference this disfunctional. It's truly mind-boggling to me.

No. The only way we go early is if the Big East disintegrates.

Not exactly true...

The only reason they wanted to keep SU and Pitt around to begin with was to maintain scheduling in the event that no replacements could be found. If the BE gets enough schools to fill the open spots, they're going to want to proceed ASAP.

I'm shocked that any of those schools would be willing to join a conference this disfunctional. It's truly mind-boggling to me.

Why? It's a BCS AQ conference that offers a substantial increase in media dollars.

If the BE falls apart they can go right back to the situations they were in. It's all upside for them.

As has been discussed in the other threads below, if your a FB only member why in the world would you agree to double your exit fee while the BB onlies stay at $5M ? Also, it's not clear from that article if the six invitees are FB only or all sports. If it's the latter you just went from a 16 team scheduling nightmare to a 20 team scheduling nightmare while seriously diluting the BB product. The idea that the BB onlies have all of the leverage here is not true. They keep saying publicly that the most valuable asset the league has is its AQ status. If you block the addition of FB only members and the league loses AQ status, and the attendant TV revenue for FB, game over.

Why? It's a BCS AQ conference that offers a substantial increase in media dollars.

If the BE falls apart they can go right back to the situations they were in. It's all upside for them.

Boise would be only for football right?

I would assume so. I always thought the travel cost aspect of conferences not being so regional was a bit overrated, but in Boise's case, that seems like it could be a big deal for all of those sports. Not to mention the students having to travel that far for every sport.

But if it's just football, you're only talking 4 trips, I assume they'd request Saturday, it's not all that big a deal.

True, but it's still a risk. That's a hefty exit fee that UCF will have to pay. If WVU and UL leave as soon as they arrive, will those two BCS seasons be enough to offset the costs and burned bridges? Possibly.

Navy I agree, since they're an indy and can just go back to normal when the BE fails. But I had assumed that Navy wasn't going anywhere without Army, although it's possible that the Air Force inclusion was enough to convince them to accept.

Air Force is just weird. Their AD's desire to look like a martyr in bashing his fellow AD's while he's willing to make his athletes travel ridiculous amounts was just silly.

Boise State - are they really this desperate?

My hypothesis - UCF was easy to convince. The biggest sell was to Boise. In order to add Navy, they needed either Air Force or Army. The Big East preferred Air Force. But Air Force would only come if they had a team in the same region as them. Enter Boise State. Boise not only improves their BCS chances beyond 2013, but by adding them a domino effect involving Air Force and Navy occurs.

If all of these teams commit, Marinatto deserves a raise for selling the Big East to them.

Gotta feel for Temple. They're finally putting together a product worth throwing out on the field and the Villanova clowns are completely blocking them. It probably has something to do with the fact that no one actually in Philadelphia wants Villanova basketball to do well unless all of the Big 5 (6) teams are out (which they usually are). I just think the Big East could do itself a big favor by bringing in Temple and really clamping down on the Philly area, seeing as they don't really have a hold anywhere else. Everytime Villanova does something...anything...I end up liking them less and less.

Also, I'm relieved that I can be secure enough in Syracuse's future to feel for the likes of Temple. Whew.

No. The only way we go early is if the Big East disintegrates.

I terms of basketball I would agree. The BBall schools don't want SU and Pitt to leave. But on the football side, if they bring in 4 football schools, we could be gone after this season. They need Boise in fast for the BCS qualification standards. I have a feeling we're stuck for two lame duck seasons in BBall.

A 1 or 2 year money grab. Do they have someone else offering them shares of TV or BCS money? They could not join and then what do they have?

Sent from my DROIDX

I agree this is good news for the Big East. It is an ugly baby, but the baby is alive and I think they can retain their BCS slot with this setup.

I would call this BECUSA Flavor One. It is better than BECUSA Flavor Two, which is about the same except it does not have WVU, UL and UC. That was the second option for RU and UConn.

I would think this proposed setup will also be enough to keep ND in the conference. Though they can't be really happy right now.

A 1 or 2 year money grab. Do they have someone else offering them shares of TV or BCS money? They could not join and then what do they have?

Plus, they get to position themselves as a "have". There is a huge risk in pulling the BE's AQ status. Congress seems to be chomping at the bit to butt into this system, and telling 12 more schools, including 2 service academies, that they're out seems like a recipe for political involvement.

Once you're a "have", many more possibilities open up.

------------------

If Missouri goes to SEC and if Big 12 expands to 12 and takes UL, WVU, Cinn, and if the reported 4 schools join Big East, then remaining football schools are:

RU, UConn, USF, UCF, Navy (football only), Air Force (football only), Boise (football only):
4 all-sports members;

That is not a bad core football group; however, if 8 all-sports teams are needed: then the question is who will be available that the BB schools will want to include as all sports members.

At that point, a split may occur; however it is also possible the Big 12 only expands to 10:

RU, UConn, WVU, Cinn, USF, UCF, Navy (football only), Air Force (football only), Boise (football only):
6 all-sports members; only need 2 additional all-sports schools;

Gotta agree. It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to look at a new Big East and say, other than WVU, how is this league different from C-USA? Not long ago UC, USF and Louisville were in CUSA. Rutgers and UConn are...well...Rutgers and UConn. Air Force, UCF, Navy? Watch Boise go 4-4 first year in conference play because they well have to actually play someone half way decent more than 3 times a year. What do those teams do when they lose the AQ? IMO I don't see them keeping it. 5 of the 8 teams that were in the Big East when they were awarded a AQ are now in the ACC.