If Virginia tech wins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Virginia tech wins

Bennett deserves props for building UVA into a top tier basketball school.
I think they either need an NBA level offensive starter talent or an Okafor/Ewing defensive talent to win it all in tourney. They need the capacity to overcome hot shooters or a singular defensive talent that makes it near impossible to have hot shooters.

This is a smoking hot take but if you’re an NBA level offensive starter talent you aren’t spending your year in college playing pack line defense grinding out like ten possessions per game.

They should start that DeAndre Hunter. Wilkins is meh at best, IMO. Hunter can ball for any program.

welp at least that NYE win is looking better and better - jncuse, could that soon become a Q1 win?

VPIs metrics are awful primarily because they played a bunch of schools ranked 200
and higher in the OOC.

VPIs metrics are awful primarily because they played a bunch of schools ranked 200
and higher in the OOC.
yeah before tonight I wasn't getting the "they're safely in" consensus - home wins over unc and nc st are nice, but there's not much beyond that

welp at least that NYE win is looking better and better - jncuse, could that soon become a Q1 win?
Going into today, they were 67 RPI. To be Q1 win, they would need to climb to 30 or higher. Won't happen tomorrow, but if they go on a little run...

Huge victory for VT -- vs. the #2 team, on the road. A lot of marginal teams lost today. SU will move up quite a bit by beating WF and NC state. Fingers crossed.

VT made the tourney with win. 7-5 in conference, they'll get to 9 and have a road win vs. #2. Check all boxes for them.

Gag job by Virginia.
Their tempo won’t allow to win a NC.
They are good but it’s hard to win 5 games in a row in a single elimination tournament when you play that slow a tempo.

Yep, a choke of epic proportions, 5 point lead with 39 seconds left! But specifically, how about Hall? He came in a 93.4% free throw shooter, so in essence he never misses. He missed not once, but TWICE in the last 30 seconds (and obviously the 2nd was the front end).

Yep, a choke of epic proportions, 5 point lead with 39 seconds left! But specifically, how about Hall? He came in a 93.4% free throw shooter, so in essence he never misses. He missed not once, but TWICE in the last 30 seconds (and obviously the 2nd was the front end).

GMac wouldn't have missed.

This is an incredible stat. If VT makes the tourney this year, it will be first time they made the tourney in consecutive years since 1985 and 1986 when their star was Dell Curry. When we complain of a downturn like missing the tourney 2 years in a row every 10 years or so we should think of something like that.

Kyle Guy would be a good #3 option on a very good offensive team - kid can straight stroke it and is crafty when getting his shot off in the lane. But is he a #1 option for a Final Four team? Hard to say that...I like DeAndre Hunter a lot too, especially for a redshirt freshman. But again, to me he's more of a 3rd option.

I'm not a big Ty Jerome or Hall fan.

All it will take to beat UVA in the tournament is a team hitting their shots, and it's lights out. UVA just doesn't have the fire power to get into a shoot out. If a team can get to 70 on them, it's hard to see them winning. I watched the FSU/UVA game last Saturday - FSU had 35 at half, were hitting their 3s, and it looked like they'd run away with it. FSU didn't make 1 basket in the final 10 minutes of the 2nd half and UVA still almost lost; if FSU double up their first half and finished with 70, UVA would have lost by double digits.

I love Tony Bennett, but to make it to a Final Four he's pretty going to have to hold 4 teams to under 60 points all in a row.

Kyle Guy would be a good #3 option on a very good offensive team - kid can straight stroke it and is crafty when getting his shot off in the lane. But is he a #1 option for a Final Four team? Hard to say that...I like DeAndre Hunter a lot too, especially for a redshirt freshman. But again, to me he's more of a 3rd option.

I'm not a big Ty Jerome or Hall fan.

All it will take to beat UVA in the tournament is a team hitting their shots, and it's lights out. UVA just doesn't have the fire power to get into a shoot out. If a team can get to 70 on them, it's hard to see them winning. I watched the FSU/UVA game last Saturday - FSU had 35 at half, were hitting their 3s, and it looked like they'd run away with it. FSU didn't make 1 basket in the final 10 minutes of the 2nd half and UVA still almost lost; if FSU double up their first half and finished with 70, UVA would have lost by double digits.

I love Tony Bennett, but to make it to a Final Four he's pretty going to have to hold 4 teams to under 60 points all in a row.

I agree with a lot of this. Also, throw Wilkins in there with Hall and Jerome. I think Hunter just needs to be on a team where he can be unleashed more. I think he is fantastic. The dribbling coast to coast outracing Frank & co., and that one tough layup/drive in traffic where he slithered in between Chukwu and somebody else was impressive. Hit a 3 as well.

Hunters a redshirt frosh? I see Uva follows the old Pitt model of getting 4 stars to somehow redshirt and stay 4 years. Must be nice

I agree with a lot of this. Also, throw Wilkins in there with Hall and Jerome. I think Hunter just needs to be on a team where he can be unleashed more. I think he is fantastic. The dribbling coast to coast outracing Frank & co., and that one tough layup/drive in traffic where he slithered in between Chukwu and somebody else was impressive. Hit a 3 as well.
Agree. Hunter is a different mold than what we've seen Bennett bring in. It will be interesting to see if UVA changes a bit offensively moving forward to get the most out of Hunter/Guy.

Darius Thompson, who was on UVA when we beat them in the E8 is averaging 14/5/5 while shooting 47% from the field and 38% from 3 at WKU. Not sure why he left UVA, but they could sure his offense.

I'm not sure what it is about Bennett's style that prevents them being elite defensively AND good offensively (I guess recruiting, like us). Unless it's purely about the guys on this year's team. That Elite 8 team a few years ago seems light years ahead of this one. Brogdon, Perrantes, Gill were all terrifc on the offensive end. But it seems more often than not their not good on the offensive end.

Hunters a redshirt frosh? I see Uva follows the old Pitt model of getting 4 stars to somehow redshirt and stay 4 years. Must be nice

He actually went to Friend's Central and was a top 100 kid I think

Agree. Hunter is a different mold than what we've seen Bennett bring in. It will be interesting to see if UVA changes a bit offensively moving forward to get the most out of Hunter/Guy.

Darius Thompson, who was on UVA when we beat them in the E8 is averaging 14/5/5 while shooting 47% from the field and 38% from 3 at WKU. Not sure why he left UVA, but they could sure his offense.

I'm not sure what it is about Bennett's style that prevents them being elite defensively AND good offensively (I guess recruiting, like us). Unless it's purely about the guys on this year's team. That Elite 8 team a few years ago seems light years ahead of this one. Brogdon, Perrantes, Gill were all terrifc on the offensive end. But it seems more often than not their not good on the offensive end.
yep.
I was getting a kick out of "analysts" in recent weeks talking about this year's team having some kind of new, diversified offense. yeah... no

Man, y'all are a tough crowd to please. UVA is 23-2 (12-1) after being unranked in the preseason and projected 6th in the ACC. Even with the loss last night, UVA has a 2.5 game lead over 2nd place Clemson in the ACC standings. 8 of our 12 ACC wins are by double digits (and we haven't had the pleasure of playing Pitt yet) and we are 7th in the country in scoring margin. This does not mean that we are unbeatable or without flaws. But, so far, it has required a pretty good offensive effort by our opponent combined with a poor offensive effort by ourselves to lose.

Man, y'all are a tough crowd to please. UVA is 23-2 (12-1) after being unranked in the preseason and projected 6th in the ACC. Even with the loss last night, UVA has a 2.5 game lead over 2nd place Clemson in the ACC standings. 8 of our 12 ACC wins are by double digits (and we haven't had the pleasure of playing Pitt yet) and we are 7th in the country in scoring margin. This does not mean that we are unbeatable or without flaws. But, so far, it has required a pretty good offensive effort by our opponent combined with a poor offensive effort by ourselves to lose.
Your team looked like poop on offense at home against one of the worst defensive teams in the conference - true or false?

Your team looked like poop on offense at home against one of the worst defensive teams in the conference - true or false?

100% true.

This game was a statistical outlier - true or false?

Big problem for UVA this year is their offense isn't that great; it's not really that good; they've had some years with pretty good offenses (top 20, even top 10 one year) that were somewhat masked by the pace. This year the offense is not really good, it's 50th in Ken Pom. If you're trying to win a national title, that's really bad. Granted, their defense is fantastic, I think it's still the best in the KP era, but 50th on offense is gonna be tough to win with.

One thing I will say, it's real easy to say team x won't win a title because of fatal flaw y since only one team wins the title every year.

vs BC: 59 pts
Wake: 59
Clemson: 61
Syracuse: 59
FSU: 59

You're going to use UVA wins to support your point? I know you hate UVA and all but that's pretty weak.

On the season (including VT), UVA shoots 46.1% from the field, 38.2% from 3, and 76.9% from the line.

Against VT, UVA shot 34.4% from the field, 28.9% from 3, and 77.8% from the line.

Yeah, this game wasn't a statistical outlier or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom