If Virginia wins the conference outright... | Syracusefan.com

If Virginia wins the conference outright...

duhu

Walk On
Would that push Cuse out of a 1 seed by default? I can't recall a 1 seed who didn't win their conference (assuming another 1 seed wasn't the conference champ).

The ACC tourney, like the Big East tourney, can have a lot to say about seeding.

The ACC tourney, like the Big East tourney, can have a lot to say about seeding.
Well, lets assume Virginia finishes 16-2 in conference and wins the conference championship. Let's also assume Cuse finishes 15-3 in conference and loses in the conference championship game.

Still a #1 seed?

UVa winning the ACC outright means that SU finishes 29-2.

Tell me that 29-2 isn't worthy of a #1 seed this year.

Well, lets assume Virginia finishes 16-2 in conference and wins the conference championship. Let's also assume Cuse finishes 15-3 in conference and loses in the conference championship game.

Still a #1 seed?

15-3 makes us 28-3 overall. Losing in the ACCCG makes us 30-4.

Who are the 4 teams you would put ahead of us?

Would that push Cuse out of a 1 seed by default? I can't recall a 1 seed who didn't win their conference (assuming another 1 seed wasn't the conference champ).

Why don't we try to not have an epic collapse to the rest of the season the way they're playing, before jumping to conclusions about whether we'll get a #1 seed or not. Continue like we've been playing and 1-4 or 2-3 to end the reg. season is your likely scenario, and down to a #2 seed, or even a #3 seed, if they completely collapse.

15-3 makes us 28-3 overall. Losing in the ACCCG makes us 30-4.

Who are the 4 teams you would put ahead of us?
It would depend on the record of others. If Zona and Florida win their conferences outright, they are obvious, along with undefeated Wichita State.

Still, has a non-conference champ ever attained a #1 seed without the conference winner also getting a #1 seed?

Why don't we try to not have an epic collapse to the rest of the season the way they're playing, before jumping to conclusions about whether we'll get a #1 seed or not. Continue like we've been playing and 1-4 or 2-3 to end the reg. season is your likely scenario, and down to a #2 seed, or even a #3 seed, if they completely collapse.
I'm just speaking in hypotheticals. Worst case scenario right now.

The old Big East sometimes had two #1 seeds. They also had three at one point (UConn, Pitt and Louisville in 2009). In any event, they had #1 seeds that were not conference champs. In 2003, the Big 12 had TWO #1 seeds (Texas and Oklahoma), AND WE BEAT THEM BOTH

Last edited:
The old Big East sometimes had two #1 seeds. I think they might have had three at one point. In any event, they had #1 seeds that were not conference champs. In 2003, the Big 12 had TWO #1 seeds (Texas and Oklahoma), AND WE BEAT THEM BOTH
Did they? I don't remember.

If they did, wasn't the champ also a #1 seed? (if it was won outright)

The Big East had 3 number one seeds in 2009: Louisville (they won the BET), UConn, and Pitt. UConn and Nova made the Final Four.

Reactions: cto
The old Big East sometimes had two #1 seeds. I think they might have had three at one point. In any event, they had #1 seeds that were not conference champs. In 2003, the Big 12 had TWO #1 seeds (Texas and Oklahoma), AND WE BEAT THEM BOTH

I was going to post similar situations. There have been number of other situations where this has happened as well. Even the Pac-10 six or seven years ago had UCLA/Washington. I think the B10 has done it a few times as well.

But I think these are not situations the OP is looking for based on his clarification in post #5.

- 2nd place team getting a #1 seed
- 1st place outright champ not getting a #1 seed.

I am sure it has happened, but can't think of any off the top of my head. If we go 15-3 this year, we certainly have a decent shot off pulling it off.

Yeah, I was just about to post that. I'm sure there's others too.

3 years ag0.. and in the ACC.

2011 ACC
1. UNC 14-2 (7 losses), 2 seed
2. Duke 13-3 (4 losses), 1 seed
That Duke team won their conference tourney, however.

[
A game in March equals a game in November. Your resume is your results in those individual games. Titles mean nothing, committee has made it abundantly clear.

Let's assume we are a 4 loss team, that did not win either title.

Who is going to overtake us?

Wichita
Florida

Arizona? Without Ashley they are also on track for 4 losses if not more.

Duke would need to win out to avoid 6. 5 and they pass out, 6 and its a ??

Villanova would not overtake us at 4. Can they win out and stay at 3.

Kansas and Michigan St already have 5 and 6 losses.

San Diego St has 2 losses in a weak MWC.

I guess one of Cincy or Louisville can get in contention if they win out.

The advantage we have this year is that while there are clearly two top conferences, the B10 and the B12, neither have a great 1 seed contender.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom