If we lose Hopkins toBC its an indict man of JimBo's stubborn | Syracusefan.com

If we lose Hopkins toBC its an indict man of JimBo's stubborn

CaliCuse

All American
qualities. The man is 69 and needs to move aside for the next man in line. Its his ego . I doubt its money unless he has been a total fool with his salary in 7 figures. Thats hard to do in Syracuse. I have to think he has a major investment portfolio handled by top people not dealing with Bernie Madeoff.

qualities. The man is 69 and needs to move aside for the next man in line. Its his ego . I doubt its money unless he has been a total fool with his salary in 7 figures. Thats hard to do in Syracuse. I have to think he has a major investment portfolio handled by top people not dealing with Bernie Madeoff.

This couldn't be more wrong. Why should JB step aside before he is ready? The team is performing at a high level... if Hop can't wait any longer, than, Bye Bye Hop.

Hop hasn't proven a thing. I'm good with him taking over when the proven commodity no longer wants to do the job, but I have no desire to push the proven commodity aside for an unproven one.

So if Hop goes to BC, it has nothing to do with Hop. It's all on JB.
Ok. Got it.

BC is a lower end job. If we want to we can offer 2x the money in a few years and Hop will come back. What's the big deal? He isn't going to Kentucky.

BC is a lower end job. If we want to we can offer 2x the money in a few years and Hop will come back. What's the big deal? He isn't going to Kentucky.

Someone brought it up earlier. Hopkins is a family guy. He may not want to uproot his family x 2 for more money.

Lol. Wow...

JB has the right to coach here as long as he wants. He's got the same invisible clause K has. Two men that built their program. No problem with JB doing his thing until whenever.

I just hope Hop is possibly leaving because JB plans on staying here for a while. It would be a kick in the balls if Hop leaves and JB retires in the next 2-3 years.

Can someone explain to a Duke fan why Syracuse fans are so interested in Hopkins succeeding Boeheim? We have a parallel situation at Duke with Coach K's assistants like Johnnie Dawkins, Chris Collins and Wojo. Generally, the attitude of Duke fans towards these alums has been, we love you but go establish yourself as a successful head coach somewhere else and then we'll consider you for the Duke head coach job when K retires. That's why Dawkins and Collins have left and why Wojo should leave. Why would Syracuse want a head coach who didn't have the gumption to go out on his own at another program? Is any assistant coach, no matter how experienced, ready to take on the job as head coach at a major basketball school?

Cali, I know you are (or were) a legend on this board but you are more off target than our shooters were in the Dayton game. If JB wants to continue, it's not because of ego, it's because he still loves the game and the job.

Can someone explain to a Duke fan why Syracuse fans are so interested in Hopkins succeeding Boeheim? We have a parallel situation at Duke with Coach K's assistants like Johnnie Dawkins, Chris Collins and Wojo. Generally, the attitude of Duke fans towards these alums has been, we love you but go establish yourself as a successful head coach somewhere else and then we'll consider you for the Duke head coach job when K retires. That's why Dawkins and Collins have left and why Wojo should leave. Why would Syracuse want a head coach who didn't have the gumption to go out on his own at another program? Is any assistant coach, no matter how experienced, ready to take on the job as head coach at a major basketball school?
Many of us would prefer this course of action. I think folks get caught up the immediate costs on the recruiting front and don't want to pay that price in order to have more assuredness about the eventual hire.

hopkins is already 150+ games and 5 ncaat's behind buzz w. (who's 2 yrs younger). that's 6 yrs @25+ wins to even tie curly.

Last edited:

Blind trust in Boeheim or the fear that Hopkins doesn't come back.

wow. So a person that loves his job and wants to keep it, is being wrong to do that. Hmm. Your kid has made enough money in my book. He should quit his job and let some college grad do it.

I think Hop taking the BC job, if offered, is in everyone's best interests. JB obviously isn't ready to retire and has every right to coach as long as he wants. As promising a HC prospect as Hop is, there's no guarantee he'd be able sustain the level of success JB's established if he just waited for JB to retire. Better for Hop to go get some experience, succeed, and then hopefully come back once JB's finally ready to retire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom