If we lose Hopkins toBC its an indict man of JimBo's stubborn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we lose Hopkins toBC its an indict man of JimBo's stubborn

Someone brought it up earlier. Hopkins is a family guy. He may not want to uproot his family x 2 for more money.

Hops kids love it here. His wife is from here. And he just built a brand new CUSTOM home in CNY.

And he's the annointed heir apparent.

All of that has to weigh heavy on whatever decision he has to make. It's not just about the $$$ thrown at him.

Sounds like you're being more selfish than JB is.
Most businesses have mandatory retirement ages set for their employees to cover this kind of action There is a reason for this as age is a diminishing return facto for everyone whether they want to admit it or not. I don't see how thinking that Jimbo has reached his peak and beyond is being selfish. Not wanting to lose a young man waiting patiently for his turn at the helm is being selfish as opposed to good business sense.And Div1 basketball is a very large business. If you don't understand that then this is irrelevant.:crazy:

Can someone explain to a Duke fan why Syracuse fans are so interested in Hopkins succeeding Boeheim? We have a parallel situation at Duke with Coach K's assistants like Johnnie Dawkins, Chris Collins and Wojo. Generally, the attitude of Duke fans towards these alums has been, we love you but go establish yourself as a successful head coach somewhere else and then we'll consider you for the Duke head coach job when K retires. That's why Dawkins and Collins have left and why Wojo should leave. Why would Syracuse want a head coach who didn't have the gumption to go out on his own at another program? Is any assistant coach, no matter how experienced, ready to take on the job as head coach at a major basketball school?
Hopkins runs practices and leads SU's recruiting. If Hopkins were to leave he wouldn't return anytime soon; since he has to move his family. Boeheim's almost 70 and will be done soon, so there's a dilemma.

Jim will leave when he is ready, not when people from this board like igor want him to step down

Most businesses have mandatory retirement ages set for their employees to cover this kind of action There is a reason for this as age is a diminishing return facto for everyone whether they want to admit it or not. I don't see how thinking that Jimbo has reached his peak and beyond is being selfish. Not wanting to lose a young man waiting patiently for his turn at the helm is being selfish as opposed to good business sense.And Div1 basketball is a very large business. If you don't understand that then this is irrelevant.:crazy:

You do make some valid points. Some think Paterno stayed at Penn State too long. Makes you wonder how long is too long? At the same time what happens when we let Hop take over and he doesn't get the instant results that UConn is having after transition? Will we start talking about how we should have never rushed JB out? Will we have the patience to let him figure out what he is doing? Although we know he's never been a head coach before. This may end up a no win situation for us in the end.

Last edited:
You do make some valid points. Some think Paterno stayed at Penn State too long. Makes you wonder how long is too long? At the same time what happens when we let Hop take over and he doesn't get the instant results that UConn is having after transition? Will we start talking about how we should have never rushed JB out? Will we have the patience to let him figure out what he is doing? Although we know he's never been a head coach before. This may end up a no win situation for us end the end.
Paterno, Bowden and Woody Hayes all stayed too long. Why did the university sign Mike to the coach in waiting deal if they weren't intending on honoring it? When he signed it I don't think he thought Beohiem would stay until he was 70 much less 75 or 80.

we have won 150 games in the last 5 years. We have been ranked at one pt #1 in three of the last 5 years. We went to the final four just last year. And Syracuse doesn't have an mandatory age so that is what is irrelevant.

coach Boeheim has certainly earned the right to hang around as long as he likes (provided we're winning). if he wants 1000 wins and can get us there in the top 25 then more power to him. we owe it to JB to let him set his own terms. (to a limit).

I admit I am not the biggest Boeheim fan (I don't bash him) but to say someone should retire because of their age and they have enough $$ is just wrong. Sorry Comrade Cali.

Can someone explain to a Duke fan why Syracuse fans are so interested in Hopkins succeeding Boeheim? We have a parallel situation at Duke with Coach K's assistants like Johnnie Dawkins, Chris Collins and Wojo. Generally, the attitude of Duke fans towards these alums has been, we love you but go establish yourself as a successful head coach somewhere else and then we'll consider you for the Duke head coach job when K retires. That's why Dawkins and Collins have left and why Wojo should leave. Why would Syracuse want a head coach who didn't have the gumption to go out on his own at another program? Is any assistant coach, no matter how experienced, ready to take on the job as head coach at a major basketball school?

Does coach K still run the daily practices or has he delegated it to Dawkins, Collins or Wojo?

Hopkins has run our day-to-day practices for 2 years and is our recruiting lynchpin. JB is already semi-retired...

If Hopkins leaves, I hope JB doubles-down and runs the practices again.

hopkins ain't never won a D1,D2, or K2-3 dodgeball game . let's not project. let hop go out and earn some credibility

hopkins ain't never won a D1,D2, or K2-3 dodgeball game . let's not project. let hop go out and earn some credibility
If that's the case why the coach in waiting deal, just to screw with Hops career path? He would already have been a head coach if not for that , so you can't have it both ways.

Businesses have mandatory retirement ages so they have an excuse to let people go. They also often waive those for key executives who have shown they still have the skills and stamina to perform.
IMO, JB has shown that neither his skill set nor his stamina has dwindled. In fact, several tv analysts made those observations this season. He is the key executive of our hoops program.
Larry Brown has rejuvenated SMU hoops and he will be 74 in September.
Anyone who saw Paterno on the sidelines his last few seasons knew he was no longer what he had been.
Some people are old at 50 and some are young at 75. It is invalid to make assumptions based on age.

Businesses have mandatory retirement ages so they have an excuse to let people go. They also often waive those for key executives who have shown they still have the skills and stamina to perform.
IMO, JB has shown that neither his skill set nor his stamina has dwindled. In fact, several tv analysts made those observations this season. He is the key executive of our hoops program.
Larry Brown has rejuvenated SMU hoops and he will be 74 in September.
Anyone who saw Paterno on the sidelines his last few seasons knew he was no longer what he had been.
Some people are old at 50 and some are young at 75. It is invalid to make assumptions based on age.

Sounds like you 100% behind James Arthur Boeheim as semi-retired, part-time basketball coach...

Sounds like you 100% behind James Arthur Boeheim as semi-retired, part-time basketball coach...

No, I'm 100% behind a head coach who is comfortable enough in his position to delegate certain duties to his assistants in order to groom them to become better coaches themselves.

Just another classic Cali post. Much like football, he'll always favor unproven, unprepared freshman over experienced seniors. Or want to kick the man who built Syracuse Basketball into a national power to the curb before he's ready to leave, in favor of the hot shot young assistant. Cali being Cali..

Since you have zero likes on this post, I think that's all I need to know about how everybody feels about that subject.

I believe JB coaches two more years. I think that Hop should stay for his own good.

So jb should retire because we are better off with hop from day 1?
Meanwhile half the board would agree we might not be as good with hop as coach to another 10-15 years down the line.

BC is a lower end job. If we want to we can offer 2x the money in a few years and Hop will come back. What's the big deal? He isn't going to Kentucky.

If Hop goes away and we have an open coaching search, what makes you think he'd be first choice for the job?

If Hop goes away and we have an open coaching search, what makes you think he'd be first choice for the job?

If we offer 2x the money it won't be for him. A nice part of his value is continuity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom