If we see the same level of ISO ball and high ball screens with centers next year | Syracusefan.com

If we see the same level of ISO ball and high ball screens with centers next year

Agreed. If it’s with Bazley we are in business though.

And that’s really it. Teams screen with their centers all the time...centers that can do something with it when they catch it.

At the same time, you’ve gotta space the court. Tough to screen with Brissett when he’s one of the only guys that can make a 3.

Rewatch the 2016 tournament. G and Lydon ran it perfectly. If we use Bazley in those the defender can't help/hedge so either the guard will get a clear driving lane or Bazley will get a roll/open jumper. I do think JB should realize he doesn't have the personnel to run it this year.

Jalen Carey said one of the reason's he came here is the offense we run - the ISO offense can work if there are shooters around the drivers. Our main issue the roster wasn't built for the kind of offense JB wants to run. Next year though? Carey, Howard, Eli, Bazley, OB ... much more complimentary to what JB wants to run.

We should require all of our returning bigs next year to dribble a basketball while walking around campus. Dead serious
I'd settle for Chukwu learning to chin the ball & extend the longest, pointiest elbows in CBB when getting a defensive rebound. We literally don't need any post moves from him, just rebounds, putbacks, tip-outs, catch/finish lobs, & block/alter shots. Bourama will provide post moves.

Those high ball screens are worthless. Poorly done and nothing comes out of them.

actually, they are a negative. they result in double teams because there is zero threat that the roller will get the ball. so the dude that hedges just stays there and doubles our guard who then has to split a double team simply to get back into a 1 on 1 situation. its really pathetic that we keep doing this year after year after year despite not having the correct personnel to run it.

The ISO stuff won’t change. Crisp passing will probably never happen here. Gotta hope the ISO talent is good enough and maybe some pick n’ pop stuff with Bazely is good. I am praying Carey is good with the ball because Frank playing downhill is a fail.

The ISO stuff won’t change. Crisp passing will probably never happen here. Gotta hope the ISO talent is good enough and maybe some pick n’ pop stuff with Bazely is good. I am praying Carey is good with the ball because Frank playing downhill is a fail.

Fail is not a strong enough word to describe it.

We should require all of our returning bigs next year to dribble a basketball while walking around campus. Dead serious
Our guards and wings can't dribble either.

Rewatch the 2016 tournament. G and Lydon ran it perfectly. If we use Bazley in those the defender can't help/hedge so either the guard will get a clear driving lane or Bazley will get a roll/open jumper. I do think JB should realize he doesn't have the personnel to run it this year.

Jalen Carey said one of the reason's he came here is the offense we run - the ISO offense can work if there are shooters around the drivers. Our main issue the roster wasn't built for the kind of offense JB wants to run. Next year though? Carey, Howard, Eli, Bazley, OB ... much more complimentary to what JB wants to run.

Well Lydon and Bazley are not centers, but yes I agree completely.

I already have seen posts saying it was UNC bumping and fouling them all night causing the issues, lol. Yup, that tough, physical, and vaunted UNC D. :bat:
I don't know about vaunted but it kept us from penatrating.

Well Lydon and Bazley are not centers, but yes I agree completely.

They aren’t, but Lydon was often our center in his two years here.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bazley at least sees some time there - like in 2003 we’d occasionally put Warrick there. Like Lydon he looks to be a solid shotblocker, so if we can get away with it defensively against our opponent it gives us a potentially potent offensive group out there.

They aren’t, but Lydon was often our center in his two years here.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bazley at least sees some time there - like in 2003 we’d occasionally put Warrick there. Like Lydon he looks to be a solid shotblocker, so if we can get away with it defensively against our opponent it gives us a potentially potent offensive group out there.

He was. But he still isn't a center. We could put Bayer in at the 5 to play center. Doesn't make him a center.

Basically what I am saying is stop the high ball screens with PC as I have said 723157816234578612345786134785612348956134795134796 times.

He was. But he still isn't a center. We could put Bayer in at the 5 to play center. Doesn't make him a center.

Basically what I am saying is stop the high ball screens with PC as I have said 723157816234578612345786134785612348956134795134796 times.

I don’t disagree. But when people say use Brissett, I don’t think they’re thinking about whose on the wing/corner. If you have non-shooters out there, their defender is going to play off and just sit in the paint ready to help on any penetration/rolling.

So in that case, maybe the answer is “stop the high ball screen with this group, period”...again, I don’t disagree.

But I really haven’t heard any answers as to what you can do with this group beyond generic “motion” or “better off the ball movement and better ball movement”.

Reality is our offensive talent sucks this year, which limits us.

I'd settle for Chukwu learning to chin the ball & extend the longest, pointiest elbows in CBB when getting a defensive rebound. We literally don't need any post moves from him, just rebounds, putbacks, tip-outs, catch/finish lobs, & block/alter shots. Bourama will provide post moves.

Good point on Chewie chinning the rebound. Those elbows would be registered as lethal weapons if he swung them around like old school centers used to (Olajuwon, Ewing, etc.)

Did they make swinging elbows illegal at some point in the past 15 years?

With Chewie’s luck he’d be called for 1 flagrant per game if he did it regularly.

Did they make swinging elbows illegal at some point in the past 15 years?
yes they did.

If a ballhandler is swinging his elbows as part of a full-body movement and at the same speed as the rest of his body at the time of contact, an intentional foul is to be assessed, giving the opponent two free throws and possession of the ball.

The act draws a flagrant foul when the elbow swinging is judged by the official to be "excessive," or, as Adams described it, "in a violent manner much faster than the rest of your body, and in general has some intent to it, to harm or to hurt or to injure another player." A flagrant foul leads to the offender being ejected from the game, in addition to the opposing squad being awarded two free throws and possession of the ball.

I don’t disagree. But when people say use Brissett, I don’t think they’re thinking about whose on the wing/corner. If you have non-shooters out there, their defender is going to play off and just sit in the paint ready to help on any penetration/rolling.

So in that case, maybe the answer is “stop the high ball screen with this group, period”...again, I don’t disagree.

But I really haven’t heard any answers as to what you can do with this group beyond generic “motion” or “better off the ball movement and better ball movement”.

Reality is our offensive talent sucks this year, which limits us.
If Brissett sets the pick his defender has to either hedge and risk Brissett stepping back and having an open 3 or allow the guard to have a step on Brissett’s defender.
Why?
Because the defense has to respect the threat that Brissett is.
When we have a center who can’t shoot or be a threat the defense is going to tell the big to hedge every time and our guard gets a double.
Brissett setting the pick make more sense if we are going to go ISO as the guy can shoot.
NBA teams do it all the time when they go pick and roll.

If Brissett sets the pick his defender has to either hedge and risk Brissett stepping back and having an open 3 or allow the guard to have a step on Brissett’s defender.
Why?
Because the defense has to respect the threat that Brissett is.
When we have a center who can’t shoot or be a threat the defense is going to tell the big to hedge every time and our guard gets a double.
Brissett setting the pick make more sense if we are going to go ISO as the guy can shoot.
NBA teams do it all the time when they go pick and roll.

Right but that becomes much easier for the two defenders directly involved in defending the screen if they know the paint is packed because there’s no other shooters they have to respect.

Right but that becomes much easier for the two defenders directly involved in defending the screen if they know the paint is packed because there’s no other shooters they have to respect.
The other guard is a threat.
Dolezaj can hit from the elbow in as well.
The center setting the screen doesn’t clear the paint either.
The defender for Brissett when we run the 1-5 doesn’t have to leave him Either.
The point of the 1-5 is that it is to get the PG a lane to drive or the big roll back for a jumper or drive.
Our 1-5 doesn’t work.
Try this as an adjustment.
9O9GlQn.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors