This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle

The only question that needs to be answered about our offense is our success due to coaching and scheme and how much of it is having McCord a pro-QB running it.

If it is mostly McCord it will be very interesting to see who we can bring in the portal to match or come close to what McCord has done.
I suspect it’s mostly McCord and Nixon. But this may be the transition year when the other areas start to catch up by next year. At least that’s the hope.

there’s an underneath slot screen we run out of the same formation every time. Unlv saw it both times and nearly killed LQA and Pena. I’d like to stop running it
Yeah those and the interception, you could definitely tell they scouted tendencies.

I think two solid years with two different QBs would totally change the narrative around Syracuse football. Its part of why 2019 was such a disaster, we finally had people paying attention and they watched and realized 2018 was a fluke. It be better if we had success with a guy who was going to be around for a few more years, but the goal should be to recruit that guy for 2026 (or 2027).

I know a lot of fans want to see us run the ball better (wouldn't hurt) and personally I think we have a few too many east/west routes in the tree that defenses are figuring out, but this is the passing attack I've always dreamed of for the Dome.

Nixon and McCord are proving right before our eyes that it's possible. That's what we needed, the proof of concept.

I'm almost certain our starting QB next season will come from the portal (cough Angeli cough). McCord was sold on the relationships he had. QB1 next season will be sold on McCord's success. Same with the WR position. Jackson Meeks is a stellar case study in getting the right chance to show what he can do. He's on pace to catch 60 some passes after a career at Georgia where he caught all of 10 over 3 years. Portal WRs with talent that aren't in the right situation are going to notice that.

Sustain it this season, get the right talent next season, and then make it the norm next season.
Likely. I don't think anyone in the QB room is built to run the offense Nixon is currently calling. The question will be whether or not Fran can hit another McCord level homerun

Things will be different but we can still have success.

Expecting to have an elite QB, elite big bodied slot WR/TE, very good underneath slot, very good at pass catching RB, good physical SR outside WR, and an outside speedster every year is just not realistic. We will need to adjust the O based on what we have.

The only one of the above that will 100% be gone is the SR outside WR, but likely we are going to lose the QB and big slot as well. Hopefully that is all.
McCord and Gadsden are not elite. McCord is a good college QB and I'm glad we have him.

McCord and Gadsden are not elite. McCord is a good college QB and I'm glad we have him.
McCord is 53rd in adjusted net yards per attempt. Basically ypa adjusted by ints and sacks

He's 49th in QB rating

He's good enough and we throw a lot which we can keep doing

McCord and Gadsden are elite. Gadsden is a top 2-3 tight end in the country. McCord is like 15-2 as a power 4 starter, is near the top of CFB in every statistic, and was a 5 star. If those guys aren’t elite then who is?

I wonder what the expected completion window is for Kyles throws. He has made some bad decision throws and missed a few open ones but he also has made a ton of throws into windows we never see here.

And its not just the back shoulder fade stuff. He is leading guys into catches that is pro level throws. this is not just throwing to guys with 3-4 yds of space.

McCord and Gadsden are elite. Gadsden is a top 2-3 tight end in the country. McCord is like 15-2 as a power 4 starter, is near the top of CFB in every statistic, and was a 5 star. If those guys aren’t elite then who is?
I just gave you basic statistics that show McCord is nowhere near the top per pass.

Gadsden is 65th in the country in receptions, 65th in yards, 73rd in TD

Calling him a TE doesn't make any of those numbers more meaningful

I'm not trying to put either of them down, I just think that Syracuse Giants fans are a little too amazed when they throw the ball and win

I wonder what the expected completion window is for Kyles throws. He has made some bad decision throws and missed a few open ones but he also has made a ton of throws into windows we never see here.

And its not just the back shoulder fade stuff. He is leading guys into catches that is pro level throws. this is not just throwing to guys with 3-4 yds of space.
Shrader and Devito eating it all the time and only throwing the ball when people were wide open has made McCord look otherworldly in comparison

All I'm saying is that we don't have to panic that this is a one year lightning in a bottle. There are good single threat passers out there every year and we have a dome and a guy everyone thinks can recruit them

I just gave you basic statistics that show McCord is nowhere near the top per pass.

I'm not trying to put either of them down, I just think that Syracuse Giants fans are a little too amazed when they throw the ball and win
OG is a tight end. He’s blocked much more this year and is off the field often with certain packages. He is a tight end in today’s game. Third in receiving yards for tight ends with 2 lackluster games. He also gets bracketed more than anyone and is the main focus of defenses. Two bad statistical weeks doesn’t make him not elite.

We have, on a good day an avg oline to run. If we had an oline that was actually good at running, the passing windows would be better. we Dont have anyone that takes the top off the D. We hope that Haynes is the one, if he ever comes back

Look at the UNLV kid. we messed up one coverage and he almost housed it. When was last time we saw an SU kid take that deep slant and go? Kevin Johnson?

McCord is 53rd in adjusted net yards per attempt. Basically ypa adjusted by ints and sacks

He's 49th in QB rating

He's good enough and we throw a lot which we can keep doing

I’m not sure what “elite” means, we’re throwing a word around while it means something different to everyone.

I’m also not sure how much current year stats matter when assessing “elite”, because style of offense and guys around you have a big impact. McCord’s stats last year compared favorably with Penix Jr, and he didn’t suddenly become worse by going to Syracuse (and his stats were wildly inflated last year as well - it works both ways).

McCord projects as a 3rd-4th Round draft pick. Gadsden is projected as around 5th-7th round. If you say top 100 pick in the draft is elite (which would be reasonable) - they’re just on the outside looking in. If it’s being picked in the draft, they both probably are “elite” - but that’s a very watered down definition for elite.

TL; DR version - I agree with your conclusion but don’t agree with your methodology.

I don't think Fran is having McCord pass a lot to impress anyone. He's doing it because we don't have a good running game. We have running backs that can be productive, we just don't block well for them. I think Fran would love to have more balance. And I think that balance would actually lead to more big plays in the passing game, but it's not happening this year.
I agree with this but I do also wonder if a different OL personnel grouping that is better at run blocking would be starting if we had a different QB. A Qb who wasn't as good a passer as him or one who was more of a threat to run. Right now we want the best pass blocking grouping we have as that is what we are good at and what McCord requires.

there’s an underneath slot screen we run out of the same formation every time. Unlv saw it both times and nearly killed LQA and Pena. I’d like to stop running it
yeah and UNLV saw it clearly and basically called it out.

There had to be something open to run off of that if they are going to jump that, no?

Just because one stat of McCord's as being 53rd ranked for yds/attempt shouldn't be the be all end all of where he is ranked as a QB. He is more than "good enough". We have a mediocre pass blocking unit so he has been getting rid of the ball quickly and we have a poor run blocking unit so he is responsible for being the run game by making quick short throws. Those play a large part in those numbers. Is he Elite? Well I'd say he may not be one of the top 5 QB's but is certainly in the next tier below that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom