If we shock the world on Saturday night... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we shock the world on Saturday night...

Actually, that is untrue. I'm a Trojan. You can throw away last season. Dealing with the sanctions, new coaching staff, big defensive losses, lack of motivation, etc. Trojan fans are much more excited about this season. This is still a team with loads of Top 5-10 talent. It's also asinine to me how people on here perceive USC as being so evil. The Bush situation was so minor compared what went on at OSU and obviously Miami. You think other Heisman winners or their families elsewhere never received any perks??! Please.
You think only Bush got benefits? Please.

2007 Syracuse 37-Point underdog to the Louisville Cardinals

Orange 38

Cardinals 35

I kinda think it would hurt USC more than it would help us. If we ended up with 9 or 10 wins my opinion might change on that. If we beat them and end up with 6 or 7 it just looks like a bad loss for them.

If and when we beat USC you better believe it will be huge headlines...are you kidding me this would be monumental for the program

When somebody out in Omaha, NE saw the ESPN bottom line and saw "Syracuse 27 USC 23", there would be a reaction. I think we all realize this isn't USC circa '03 but a Cuse win at USC would raise eyebrows.

UL was the biggest upset after nebraska, but I would put PSU 87 right there. i think one of the VT wins also

If we shock the world Saturday night, USC will go 5-7 and that will be the story.

Nebraska was number one in the country. Florida was ranked real high but we were up there, too.

Florida was #5. We were #22 when we beat them in 1991. They haven't gone out of state except for a conferecne game or a bowl game since.

For those of you guys pointing out that USC isn't ranked - if given the choice would you rather we play and win at #19 Baylor as opposed to unranked USC?

Bingo ... if it weren't for that amazing game with TCU you would have forgotten they even play football in Waco ...

The 1984 Nebraska win was our biggest upset, they were number 1 in the country, we were nobody. They had been number 1 in the country for over a year (the entire 1983 season from week 1 to end) and had not moved from number 1 before playing us. They had beaten us 63-7 on National TV the year before. I remember looking at the Nebraska fans after the '84 upset, they were very polite for just losing a game that they never thought they would lose. The Florida game was pretty big, they were 10 point favorites in the dome and every expert in the country was saying it was an easy game to pick, Florida would blow us away and we had our way with them from the opening KO.

For me it was Florida, I had a very good friend at UF at the time and she had no respect for SU football arty the time. Great game and bragging rights!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

Nebraska was the biggest & most influential win for the SU program, at least since I've been a fan. We'd been stuck in the Frank Maloney Error, & Coach Mac had just come over from the NE Patriots staff. FYI- alot of folks weren't thrilled with the hire, since he was a "pro guy" with little college experience.
I still remember the dive by RB Jaime Covington to seal a 1st down & clinch the W for SU...WE. WENT. ABSOLUTELY. NUTS. in the dorms!!!

That was, without a doubt the most significant win in the modern era for SU. Saturday is big, but it can't touch that game.

When somebody out in Omaha, NE saw the ESPN bottom line and saw "Syracuse 27 USC 23", there would be a reaction. I think we all realize this isn't USC circa '03 but a Cuse win at USC would raise eyebrows.

ESPECIALLY since Syracuse has a very bad track record on the West Coast...

Exactly. The not ranked argument is so GD stupid. Look at the seniors and juniors on SC. It's not their fault regarding the Bush sanctions. They can't help the coaching turnover. These guys were blue-chip recruits. SC has serious talent on the current team and it would most certainly raise eyebrows everywhere if SU were to win.

A win would be highly unexpected and certainly provide a boost to the program, but USC is no 1984 Nebraska. I also think people are overstating the amount of attention that would be given to a victory. Keep in mind that there are several other games on Saturday that are much more compelling from a national media standpoint and which will almost certainly gobble up the spotlight. OSU-Miami? FSU-OU? ND-MSU? Tenn-FLA?

A win would be highly unexpected and certainly provide a boost to the program, but USC is no 1984 Nebraska. I also think people are overstating the amount of attention that would be given to a victory. Keep in mind that there are several other games on Saturday that are much more compelling from a national media standpoint and which will almost certainly gobble up the spotlight. OSU-Miami? FSU-OU? ND-MSU? Tenn-FLA?
It would garner a lot of attention, would be shown pretty prominently on sportscenter the next morning with plenty of highlights - IMO to suggest otherwise is just silly.

There would be fans from programs all around the country stopping by the various boards to congratulate the SU fans on the big win, 3-0 start and return to college football relevance.

It would garner a lot of attention, would be shown pretty prominently on sportscenter the next morning with plenty of highlights - IMO to suggest otherwise is just silly.

There would be fans from programs all around the country stopping by the various boards to congratulate the SU fans on the big win, 3-0 start and return to college football relevance.

But ESPN will be talking about the Michigan St 35 point comeback in the 4th quarter to beat ND 42-38 instead!

Actually, that is untrue. I'm a Trojan. You can throw away last season. Dealing with the sanctions, new coaching staff, big defensive losses, lack of motivation, etc. Trojan fans are much more excited about this season. This is still a team with loads of Top 5-10 talent. It's also asinine to me how people on here perceive USC as being so evil. The Bush situation was so minor compared what went on at OSU and obviously Miami. You think other Heisman winners or their families elsewhere never received any perks??! Please.
With all due respect, I wouldn't consider a school returning the Heisman Trophy as minor.

An SU win on Saturday would be the most attention-grabbing win since the ND win, but as far as important wins, I'd say WVU last year has been the most important program-building win.

If we win Saturday night, it will be the biggest national statement of our return.

I agree with this. Let's be honest, the rankings really are just for publicity at this point. Until week 5 or 6, no one knows who is really the elite of the elite.

USC has serious individual talent. Kalil, Barkley and Woods are all probably top 3 in their position in all of NCAA.

Most of the country will be watching OU/FSU and if those people see: SYR 28 USC 24 4:32 4Q, they are going to notice and probably check the game out.

If we win, it will be big news. The FSU/OU game will be the headline, ND/MSU will probably be second, but if we beat USC, we will be the third story on a national level. I think it will also signify a "welcome back Syracuse" feeling amongst football fans.

With all due respect, I wouldn't consider a school returning the Heisman Trophy as minor.

Yeah, and every leading voice/personality in the broadcasting business I heard said it was unreasonable and unfair for Bush to return it.

Yeah, and every leading voice/personality in the broadcasting business I heard said it was unreasonable and unfair for Bush to return it.

eh, I'd go out and have a Heisman Trophy made for me. Nothing changes the fact that at the end of the season he was voted the best player in college football. The idea of returning it is just stupid.

Come on seriously, we are not fricking akron or Maine. Have some confidence and some faith. We are playing an unranked team that squeaked by two teams (sounds like us!) ...bees should delete every loser thread that is titled like this one so when Trojan and buttgers fans lurk they don't think we are complete losers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom