if you are a NFL GM | Syracusefan.com

if you are a NFL GM

upperdeck

Living Legend
and you have interviewed DM and feel he is the one why is every team now looking at asking for permission for 3-4 more people. the fact he is interviewing all over also means there is a chance someone else takes him first.Or is he being picky like Kelly and doing the choosing?

and many think Saban is going back to the NFL.. what better time than after they were to win again monday if they do.. you would think he would be the choice of several as well.

as some have said he could have gone to the NFL 4 years ago. he came here to do something not get back to .500 so how upset is he with whats been going on up there.

1) Rooney Rule (Must interview at least 1 minority candidate). So you just can't hire the first guy you like.
2) NFL owners/GM's like to pick the brain of as many people as they can. See what dirt they can get on other owners/teams. Talking to coaches who just 24 hours ago was meeting with another team and might have meet with 2 other teams that same week is a way to get dirt.
3) During most hiring processes in all walks of life you talk to a few people before making a decision. Not the first or second guy who comes in.

Unless you are an Andy Reid who has a stacked resume of accomplishments, most teams like to talk to a handful of people. And even KC had to at least meet with 1 minority candidate as well as Reid

1) Rooney Rule (Must interview at least 1 minority candidate). So you just can't hire the first guy you like.
2) NFL owners/GM's like to pick the brain of as many people as they can. See what dirt they can get on other owners/teams. Talking to coaches who just 24 hours ago was meeting with another team and might have meet with 2 other teams that same week is a way to get dirt.
3) During most hiring processes in all walks of life you talk to a few people before making a decision. Not the first or second guy who comes in.

Unless you are an Andy Reid who has a stacked resume of accomplishments, most teams like to talk to a handful of people. And even KC had to at least meet with 1 minority candidate as well as Reid

Serious question.

Do you have experience with the process or have friends who have that kind of insight?

That's true, our Dougs a white.

Serious question.

Do you have experience with the process or have friends who have that kind of insight?
No I follow the NFL! This isn't earth shattering news. This is how the NFL works. This happens every year.

These are billion dollar entities these teams, you just don't hire the first guy who walks in and blows ya away in an interview. Too much money at stake. Too many people's jobs are at stake. There are rules in place on who you can and can't interview from other NFL teams, you just can't call up an assistant from another team and say come in. That team has to give the assistant approval. Which is why college coaches usually get the first interviews in these processes.

PLUS, a team might want to interview an assistant on a team who has a game this week and its against NFL rules to talk to those coaches. So, (for example) if Buffalo wants to meet with Marrone, Lovie, and lets say some assistant on Houston (for arguments sake)...they can meet with Marrone and Lovie now but they gotta wait for Houston to LOSE and be DONE before talking to that guy. So what's the rush, they ain't hiring anyone till Houston is finished its season which might be in a month! For all we know Doug might be in "limbo" on an NFL job for another 4 weeks. If he is up for a job against a coach on a team that is playing in a Super Bowl. It could happen!

and you have interviewed DM and feel he is the one why is every team now looking at asking for permission for 3-4

and many think Saban is going back to the NFL.. what better time than after they were to win again monday if they do.. you would think he would be the choice of several as well.
Saban might go back someday but it won't be this year. There are ONLY 2 places Saban will go. 1) Cleveland and it sounds like Kelly to Cleveland is pretty much done. 2) New England with his buddy Belichick. And I could see Saban taking over for NE once Belichick/Brady retire.

No I follow the NFL! This isn't earth shattering news. This is how the NFL works. This happens every year.

These are billion dollar entities these teams, you just don't hire the first guy who walks in and blows ya away in an interview. Too much money at stake. Too many people's jobs are at stake. There are rules in place on who you can and can't interview from other NFL teams, you just can't call up an assistant from another team and say come in. That team has to give the assistant approval. Which is why college coaches usually get the first interviews in these processes.

PLUS, a team might want to interview an assistant on a team who has a game this week and its against NFL rules to talk to those coaches. So, (for example) if Buffalo wants to meet with Marrone, Lovie, and lets say some assistant on Houston (for arguments sake)...they can meet with Marrone and Lovie now but they gotta wait for Houston to LOSE and be DONE before talking to that guy. So what's the rush, they ain't hiring anyone till Houston is finished its season which might be in a month! For all we know Doug might be in "limbo" on an NFL job for another 4 weeks. If he is up for a job against a coach on a team that is playing in a Super Bowl. It could happen!

See Mike Tomlin.

Steelers blown away.

i know all those rules.. but if you have done the interview and think he is the guy then you speed up the process. you also dont interview 3-4-5 more than you have too. i dont think he is the #1 or #2 for any of these jobs. i am in the camp he wants out so is willing to talk to all of them if he can.

See Mike Tomlin.

Steelers blown away.

100% FALSE!! Uh, no they weren't. They wanted to hire Russ Grimm. Some news publications PUBLISHED that they hired Grimm because the team sent out press releases saying they had. The NFL called them and told them they might want to reconsider since the "Rooney Rule" was named after them! That's when they buckled to NFL league pressure and brought both guys in for a 2nd round of interviews and they went with Tomlin. NOT to mention Tomlin had the Miami job lined up but a few higher ups in Miami last minute got to Huizenga and said Tomlin was too "hip-hop" for their taste. So Miami went elsewhere. Tomlin didn't blow anybody away and was lucky to get a job that offseason. The league helped make it happen.

The Steelers chose Mr. Tomlin after vacillating between him and Russ Grimm, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach. The Steelers decided not to wait for Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the third finalist for the job, because he would not be available to be hired for another two weeks.
Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Grimm, 47, had second interviews for the job last week. Mr. Rivera was interviewed once.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/the-steelers-coaching-search-its-tomlin-468708/#ixzz2H7xSpSAd

100% FALSE!! Uh, no they weren't. They wanted to hire Russ Grimm. Some news publications PUBLISHED that they hired Grimm because the team sent out press releases saying they had. The NFL called them and told them they might want to reconsider since the "Rooney Rule" was named after them! That's when they buckled to NFL league pressure and brought both guys in for a 2nd round of interviews and they went with Tomlin. NOT to mention Tomlin had the Miami job lined up but a few higher ups in Miami last minute got to Huizenga and said Tomlin was too "hip-hop" for their taste. So Miami went elsewhere. Tomlin didn't blow anybody away and was lucky to get a job that offseason. The league helped make it happen.

The Steelers chose Mr. Tomlin after vacillating between him and Russ Grimm, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach. The Steelers decided not to wait for Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the third finalist for the job, because he would not be available to be hired for another two weeks.
Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Grimm, 47, had second interviews for the job last week. Mr. Rivera was interviewed once.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/the-steelers-coaching-search-its-tomlin-468708/#ixzz2H7xSpSAd

The article does not say what you suggest.

The fact is that Tomlin was not a serious candidate - he was a Rooney Candidate.

He blew them away in the interview.

The article does not say what you suggest.

The fact is that Tomlin was not a serious candidate - he was a Rooney Candidate.

He blew them away in the interview.

If he blew them away why did they bring Russ Grimm back for a 2nd interview? Just admit you have this mistaken and we can move on.

If he blew them away why did they bring Russ Grimm back for a 2nd interview? Just admit you have this mistaken and we can move on.

I don't know why they brought Grimm ack for a second interview.

Perhaps just to make sure that their assessment of Tomlin was not off base.

I have to admit that I have not researched the issue, but I do live in PA and do follow the Steelers a bit. My recollection was that Tomlin was never a serious candidate until he blew them away in the interview - that they never expected what they got.

I gather you are now disputing that he gave a great interview?

Are you suggesting that the Steelers hired Tomlin simply because he is black?

What are you saying exactly?

I guess I can search the internet to find something to fully address the decision to hire Tomlin. I will try when I have some more time.

But I really just wanted to know how you could tell us with such certainty how the NFL HC hiring practice works.

Now I know that you have no special insight, you're just extrapolating from what you read, which of course is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom