If you could change some college basketball rules what would you change? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you could change some college basketball rules what would you change?

Not really a rule but would like to see it so you can not throw the ball off someone to keep yourself from going out of bounds with it.

when fouled, option to take the ball on the side vs. shooting free throws (except in an "and-one" situation).

-call palming
-call double dribble when player drops ball, picks it up again, and then dribbles
-call traveling when a player has the ball while laying on the court and does not keep one point of the body in place (sliding)
-start the ten-second clock when the ball leaves the hands of the out-of-bounder, not when someone picks up the rolling ball at half court
-call fouls under the hoop when body contact is made and the shot goes in (if called at all, it only happens if the shot is missed)
-figure out how to reconcile the "jump stop" as not being traveling
-call 3 seconds, at least after ten seconds have elapsed

Last edited:
Not really a rule but would like to see it so you can not throw the ball off someone to keep yourself from going out of bounds with it.

I love that part of the game.

I would say- move the 3 point line back to the NBA line.

Adopt the international trapezoid lane.
30-second shot clock.
The defense gets a point for a shot clock violation.

-call traveling when a player has the ball while laying on the court and does not keep one point of the body in place (sliding)
I would add to this - if the defensive player is on the ground (ie, not upright on his feet) and impedes an offensive player in any way, it's an automatic blocking foul.

How about this one - once the ball has gone across half-court, under no circumstances other than being touched by the defending team, can it go back to the back court. I would love to see the long tosses from under the basket removed. Or just have teams run plays from out of bounds that actually work.

No live-ball timeouts. No more getting bailed out of a trap or scramble on the floor with one of the excessive number of TOs a team has. Like FIBA, coaches must inform scorers table and a TO can be called at next dead-ball/made basket.

FIBA goaltending rules, once a ball has hit the rim, it's free game. Defenders can swat away, offensive players can grab & flush.

I'd also favor the 30-sec shot clock, but the off-the-ball fouls need to be enforced to allow offenses to move.

I don't like the NBA TO advance rule. Get it over half-court yourself, but if the no live-ball TOs is added then it might be a good move.

Leave the possession arrow, refs can't throw the ball up fairly as it is and they never enforce the "stealing the tap" rule.

If a coach leaves the coaches box, he's immediately ejected and suspended for the rest of the year (too harsh?).

Also, coaches must hold their timeouts on or near the team bench. No more holding it out in the FT lane and then spending another 20 secs cleaning up after it.

That UK can't pay for players. That would be a good start for the integrity of the game.
Sorry folks, but we have the winner right here.

Obviously I am in the minority, but I think the game is nearly perfect as it is. I wish they would call the rules on the books a little more stricter and consistantly though. I would hate changing the shot clock to 24. It would really change the game for the worst. I don't even like 30 seconds. I think 35 is perfect. It allows teams to play different styles of ball, which is one of the things that makes the game the greatest sport.

I would hire NBA officials and have them run the NCAA officiating office. College officials suck.

I know this one would totally never happen, but I would completely eliminate charging and blocking calls altogether. Most of the time they are 50/50 anyway, so might as well just get rid of em and make em a no call.

In all seriousness...I would make it a point of emphasis to call 3 seconds. I hate when guys just cement themselves in the paint and don't get called for it.

I especially like when all game guys camp out in the lane and then in a key situation they call it literally three and a half seconds after the ball gets across half court.

One thing is for sure. The argument for the reduction of the 35 second shot clock will be in full effect in our game vs Pitt. Both PG's are great with controlling tempo as General pointed out in his pre game thoughts and therefore a low scoring affair seems imminent. 40's or 50's game on the way I am afraid..

No live-ball timeouts. No more getting bailed out of a trap or scramble on the floor with one of the excessive number of TOs a team has. Like FIBA, coaches must inform scorers table and a TO can be called at next dead-ball/made basket.

This

Expand the size of the court. It would limit the effectiveness of SU's zone, but the game of basketball (already the best in the world, IMO) would be more aesthetically pleasing if there was more space for skilled players to operate. The regulation court has been unchanged for decades, while the players have gotten taller, longer, faster and stronger.

I think it's time go to 6 fouls before fouling out. Players are just too big and athletic and the size of the court hasn't changed.

Some good ideas here.

I love hustle but I think something has to be done for the increasing number of scrums on the floor when players dive on top of other players, clip or do full tackles to get to a loose ball. I'm waiting for someone to really get hurt in one of these plays. A hustle play should involve possession of the ball more than attacking diving at and on top of the players' legs and bodies to get to the ball.

Expand the size of the court. It would limit the effectiveness of SU's zone, but the game of basketball (already the best in the world, IMO) would be more aesthetically pleasing if there was more space for skilled players to operate. The regulation court has been unchanged for decades, while the players have gotten taller, longer, faster and stronger.

While commendable in theory, I think this would wreak havoc with most existing gyms and arenas which are tightly designed around the existing size court.

Obviously I am in the minority, but I think the game is nearly perfect as it is. I wish they would call the rules on the books a little more stricter and consistantly though. I would hate changing the shot clock to 24. It would really change the game for the worst. I don't even like 30 seconds. I think 35 is perfect. It allows teams to play different styles of ball, which is one of the things that makes the game the greatest sport.

I can't like this post enough! I LOVE this game, far more than any other. Why do a lot of people want to pattern it more like the pro game? I feel like a lot of these proposed rule changes would help out the power conference teams and hurt mid majors. If that is what we want (I don't), why not have the BEST 64 teams make the tournament and do away with auto bids? Do you want that excitement, upsets, championship week, and so on lessened?

I don't disagree with all the ideas. I wouldn't mind seeing the 10 second backcourt violation enforced regardless if a timeout is called. I just don't get why most are in a hurry to push the 3 pt line back or have teams in a rush to throw up a shot.

1. Hire full-time officials that must pass eye/fitness tests each year and receive consistent training sessions year round.

2. 30 second shot clock.

3. (And I reaaaaally want to see this) NBA continuation rule.

i think I was the only one to propose moving back the three point line. But shortening the shot clock to 30 seconds isn't goign to force teams to throw up shots. It might force teams to get into their offense earlier as o pposed to just dribbling the ball at the top of the key though.