If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it

So everyone on this team put in ridiculous amounts of hours in preparation for the 2018 season, which earned them to be a team that was top 15 of 120+ teams or whatever. Everyone can not take the trophy with them, this stays with them forever. Shows your truly how negative you are as a person to say these young men don’t deserve it. The smiles they have are those of seeing what hard work and determination can get you in this world ... results.

It doesn’t harm me in any way. But as a former collegiate athlete (not football) who was really good at what he did, you save over the top rewards for exceptional victories.

I won 3 straight NYS titles in college. We have small rewards for that, but no rings.

My point is this. What do we do if we win something far more important in the next 3-4 years? Say we shock the world and win the ACC next year, what are we going to do buy them another ring for an accomplishment everyone should be far more proud of?

Save the rings for historic accomplishments and for everything else give them smaller rewards that still serve the purpose.
I assume you don’t realize how any of this works. In some cases the bowl gives them to the players and in other cases, the players are given a debit account of sorts, and they do a wheel of fortune style shopping spree for bowl swag. Could be, as is often the case, the team votes on whether or not they want to put some of their “winnings” toward a team symbol, like a ring. We got a ring for the Gator bowl in ‘96 and one for National runners up in hoops. I have worn both. I assume you lump the Gator ring with this, but is NCAA runners up enough to celebrate?

I assume you don’t realize how any of this works. In some cases the bowl gives them to the players and in other cases, the players are given a debit account of sorts, and they do a wheel of fortune style shopping spree for bowl swag. Could be, as is often the case, the team votes on whether or not they want to put some of their “winnings” toward a team symbol, like a ring. We got a ring for the Gator bowl in ‘96 and one for National runners up in hoops. I have worn both. I assume you lump the Gator ring with this, but is NCAA runners up enough to celebrate?

Donovan? Is that you??

CFC8B614-95BB-433F-AC4B-62A4120C2431.jpeg

It doesn’t harm me in any way. But as a former collegiate athlete (not football) who was really good at what he did, you save over the top rewards for exceptional victories.

I won 3 straight NYS titles in college. We have small rewards for that, but no rings.

My point is this. What do we do if we win something far more important in the next 3-4 years? Say we shock the world and win the ACC next year, what are we going to do buy them another ring for an accomplishment everyone should be far more proud of?

Save the rings for historic accomplishments and for everything else give them smaller rewards that still serve the purpose.

No offense but are you really bragging while also showing jealousy? Sad what you have decided to focus upon after this great season and the team’s gutsy determined play - I mean it really is sad. It was an historic accomplishment for a team picked last preseason in even their league for players who realized that they only needed to believe in themselves and each other. But most of all, why do you really even care this deeply to make a post deriding their happiness at getting this ring and then defending it? So many negative people so willing to throw shade at other’s accomplishments and happiness for their own purposes.

That seems a lot of ridiculous. I’m glad we won the game, but it’s a 2nd-3rd tier bowl game. We didn’t make a conference championship or a playoff. Let’s not go too crazy before we truly accomplish something special
Geez, dude...such a misguided post. This isn’t a first, or some “entitled millennial” situation. Back in the ‘80’s when Coach Mac took a team to something called the Cherry Bowl, the team received rings as a keepsake. That was the start of the Coach Mac Era- one of the best runs in program history.
I’m certainly glad there wasn’t some bitter, toxic old codger around to try and throw water on their accomplishment. Lighten up, Francis!

Last edited:

Resentment and jealousy are not good looks. What you did is not even in the same universe as what these guys did. I think what these guys did is absolutely great. I think what you did is "meh, big deal". World of difference between D1 and D3. What are you talking about, anyway? Golf? Tennis? Baseball?

Resentment and jealousy are not good looks. What you did is not even in the same universe as what these guys did. I think what these guys did is absolutely great. I think what you did is "meh, big deal". World of difference between D1 and D3. What are you talking about, anyway? Golf? Tennis? Baseball?
If you read his original post, he states he won a "State Title" in a college sport.
Sounds big time whatever it was.

No offence man but this is like the guy in the gym who attempts to bench two 45s and claims he’d be in the MLB if he didn’t hurt his knee.

A 10 win season is nothing to scoff at.

We’re talking rings not Ferraris. Let the kids have some fun.

While I disagree with this guy, I’m not going to be offended and start trashing his character. He has an opinion and it’s no more or less valid than mine. Save the pitchforks.

We’re talking rings not Ferraris. Let the kids have some fun.

While I disagree with this guy, I’m not going to be offended and start trashing his character. He has an opinion and it’s no more or less valid than mine. Save the pitchforks.

He expressed his opinion. The other posters are expressing theirs. They aren't trashing his character, just disagreeing with his opinion.

I was a horrible D3 tennis player but I at least recognize how much work goes in to high level D3. There is no D3 equivalent to what the football team did this year in talent, athleticism or work effort.

Last edited:
Never thought this would create such anger.

First of all, not an old codger, I’m 29.

Second, Men’s Volleyball.

Third my point was not “screw them for getting rings, don’t celebrate at all unless you win a natty.” That’s downright asinine. My point is the ring is too much for this accomplishment.

The kids busted their butts and absolutely deserve credit, recognition and celebration. But my point is that to me, a guy who was lucky enough to play (lower level) sports at a very high level, rings are reserved for only the highest of accomplishments. NY6 bowls, runner ups, titles, final four runs (if we are talking hoops), conference championships in the P5. Yeah it sucks that the year we were amazing was the year we couldn’t go to the Orange bowl, but that’s the circumstances.

Philosophically, the ring is too much for last year’s accomplishment, because how do we top it next year when we unseat Clemson in the dome, win the ACC and run to the playoffs? Are you going to tell me a ring for that is the same as a ring for the camping world bowl season we had a year before? Because to me, that becomes “just getting a ring” for that run after what they got for camping world the year before. That’s my philosophical stance on the issue, and that’s why I believe what I do.

For the record I’m not jealous the boys get rings because I didn’t. I knew what we needed to do to get rings with my boys. We never accomplished that feat. So we didn’t get rings. The end. To me the ring is what you get for an incredible accomplishment, not a damn good season, even if it’s historic for you and/or your school, but for something truly incredible for anyone, no matter their stature in the sport. To me, that’s the landmark for the reward being rings. To me Cuse had a special season for all of us. But if you went to Auburn (or hell West Virginia who we wiped in the Camping World Bowl) and said is that an elite season that deserves to be remembered by anyone in the sport, nobody aside from us will really say that’s the case.

Glad the boys get to celebrate, but if we are in a better position in the next 24-36 months, and all they get is another ring even though they accomplished something even greater, the ring won’t feel nearly as awesome a reward as it does right now. That’s all I’m trying to say

If I was a player, I hope I finish my college football career having four or maybe five rings. I wouldn’t apologize for any of them. Each one has their own meaning and accomplishment. Each ring stands for that season and has no bearing on the next.

Third my point was not “screw them for getting rings, don’t celebrate at all unless you win a natty.” That’s downright asinine. My point is the ring is too much for this accomplishment.

The kids busted their butts and absolutely deserve credit, recognition and celebration. But my point is that to me, a guy who was lucky enough to play (lower level) sports at a very high level, rings are reserved for only the highest of accomplishments. NY6 bowls, runner ups, titles, final four runs (if we are talking hoops), conference championships in the P5. Yeah it sucks that the year we were amazing was the year we couldn’t go to the Orange bowl, but that’s the circumstances.

Philosophically, the ring is too much for last year’s accomplishment, because how do we top it next year when we unseat Clemson in the dome, win the ACC and run to the playoffs? Are you going to tell me a ring for that is the same as a ring for the camping world bowl season we had a year before? Because to me, that becomes “just getting a ring” for that run after what they got for camping world the year before. That’s my philosophical stance on the issue, and that’s why I believe what I do.

For the record I’m not jealous the boys get rings because I didn’t. I knew what we needed to do to get rings with my boys. We never accomplished that feat. So we didn’t get rings. The end. To me the ring is what you get for an incredible accomplishment, not a damn good season, even if it’s historic for you and/or your school, but for something truly incredible for anyone, no matter their stature in the sport. To me, that’s the landmark for the reward being rings. To me Cuse had a special season for all of us. But if you went to Auburn (or hell West Virginia who we wiped in the Camping World Bowl) and said is that an elite season that deserves to be remembered by anyone in the sport, nobody aside from us will really say that’s the case.

Glad the boys get to celebrate, but if we are in a better position in the next 24-36 months, and all they get is another ring even though they accomplished something even greater, the ring won’t feel nearly as awesome a reward as it does right now. That’s all I’m trying to say
I hear you. I heard you initially. I think first that you are over-assuming the "value" of the ring. These are not SuperBowl caliber rings. They are $500 rings that are not much more than your average high school or college graduation ring. That leads me to my next point. I have both a high school and college graduation ring. My college ring is a little more valuable because I splurged for a diamond on it. Having my high school ring didn't diminish the accomplishment the college ring represented, and I didn't feel resentful of the high school ring as an over-reward. I mentioned the NCAA runner-up ring, and the value of that for my roommate was not the ring, but the symbol of accomplishment. We were runners up, but we were not expected to do much of anything in '96 and we lost a close one to a stacked team that in hind sight was probably bought with prostitutes and other gifts. That said, I will go one further. My next door neighbor and close friend played college soccer at UVA around the same time ('92-'96). Look up their run from '91-'95. They won four national titles in a row (Bruce Arena recruited NJ well). I have seen three almost identical national championship rings at once. I met and hung with a lot of those guys. I don't think any one of those guys see less value in the first one than the third or fourth one. Each one represents a different season, a different team, and a different accomplishment.

He expressed his opinion. The other posters are expressing theirs. They aren't trashing his character, just disagreeing with his opinion.
They called him sad, accused him of being jealous, bragging, resentful. Not exactly a civil difference of opinion.

The ultimate goal for many of these young men, I would never call them boys, is playing professionally. What was your ultimate goal...the Olympics? Most will never attain that dream. Instead they will have a ring and a memory of winning a bowl game. I see nothing wrong with that reward for hard work.

Ah, what the heck? I'll throw my opinion in just for fun:

On one side of the coin, those are beautiful rings and I'm very glad the team got them, and I would definitely like to get one myself ...because it's just awesome

On the other side of the coin, I understand the sentiment that rings should be reserved for championship wins. Culturally, that's what we are used to ...you get a ring for winning the Super Bowl.

So although beautiful, rings for non-playoff bowl games look over the top. But as others have stated ...this is not exclusive to Syracuse. Seems to be common practice now, but I'm not sure if it should be. College players do get many other gifts for bowl games on top of it