If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it

If I was a player, I hope I finish my college football career having four or maybe five rings. I wouldn’t apologize for any of them. Each one has their own meaning and accomplishment. Each ring stands for that season and has no bearing on the next.

Exactly how I feel. Thank you. Nothing wrong with rings for accomplishments as each one has a different meaning to the individual.

It doesn’t harm me in any way. But as a former collegiate athlete (not football) who was really good at what he did, you save over the top rewards for exceptional victories.

I won 3 straight NYS titles in college. We have small rewards for that, but no rings.

My point is this. What do we do if we win something far more important in the next 3-4 years? Say we shock the world and win the ACC next year, what are we going to do buy them another ring for an accomplishment everyone should be far more proud of?

Save the rings for historic accomplishments and for everything else give them smaller rewards that still serve the purpose.

What if you're a senior and this is your best memory and only major triumph? Shouldn't it be honored in some way? And if you honor the seniors for their efforts, shouldn't you also give something to the underclassmen who helped make it possible?

Hard for me to understand why people would take issue with a process that's been going on for 40 some years (as seen by ring pics, and comments in this thread).

Believe it or not, there are pro teams that celebrate winning their measly 6 team divisions, or even becoming a wild card. Fans buy shirts, hats, banners, you name it, because it's deemed an accomplishment - even with 100 less teams than college football.

It's a Bowl league. They won the highest game they were allowed to play. If it was a legit 25 team playoff, they would have been one of the dozen teams that moved on to the next round. But that's not how it works.

Good for them.

If the head coach that brought our program back from the ashes wants to buy rings for the team, you buy rings for the team.

If he doesn't, you don't.

After that, all of it doesn't matter.

If you read his original post, he states he won a "State Title" in a college sport.
Sounds big time whatever it was.
Tiddlywinks. Never heard of a state title in college sports. Conference title maybe. It's like NYS giving a title in the 440 high hurdles for the indoor season. Doesn't happen.

Tiddlywinks. Never heard of a state title in college sports. Conference title maybe. It's like NYS giving a title in the 440 high hurdles for the indoor season. Doesn't happen.
He won. Good for him. Did he win at the highest state level? Nahh. Did he win at highest national level? Nahh. But he did at that level he was at. Cool. I guess that's why his post was puzzling to me. This is the absolute highest level, for the entire country, and they won with the task they were given. I won't disparage his victory, nor will I, when it's at a much higher level.

That seems a lot of ridiculous. I’m glad we won the game, but it’s a 2nd-3rd tier bowl game. We didn’t make a conference championship or a playoff. Let’s not go too crazy before we truly accomplish something special

I think this is officially the board's least favorite post since that one a few months ago about JB being too old to drive.

Never thought this would create such anger.

First of all, not an old codger, I’m 29.

Second, Men’s Volleyball.

Third my point was not “screw them for getting rings, don’t celebrate at all unless you win a natty.” That’s downright asinine. My point is the ring is too much for this accomplishment.

The kids busted their butts and absolutely deserve credit, recognition and celebration. But my point is that to me, a guy who was lucky enough to play (lower level) sports at a very high level, rings are reserved for only the highest of accomplishments. NY6 bowls, runner ups, titles, final four runs (if we are talking hoops), conference championships in the P5. Yeah it sucks that the year we were amazing was the year we couldn’t go to the Orange bowl, but that’s the circumstances.

Philosophically, the ring is too much for last year’s accomplishment, because how do we top it next year when we unseat Clemson in the dome, win the ACC and run to the playoffs? Are you going to tell me a ring for that is the same as a ring for the camping world bowl season we had a year before? Because to me, that becomes “just getting a ring” for that run after what they got for camping world the year before. That’s my philosophical stance on the issue, and that’s why I believe what I do.

For the record I’m not jealous the boys get rings because I didn’t. I knew what we needed to do to get rings with my boys. We never accomplished that feat. So we didn’t get rings. The end. To me the ring is what you get for an incredible accomplishment, not a damn good season, even if it’s historic for you and/or your school, but for something truly incredible for anyone, no matter their stature in the sport. To me, that’s the landmark for the reward being rings. To me Cuse had a special season for all of us. But if you went to Auburn (or hell West Virginia who we wiped in the Camping World Bowl) and said is that an elite season that deserves to be remembered by anyone in the sport, nobody aside from us will really say that’s the case.

Glad the boys get to celebrate, but if we are in a better position in the next 24-36 months, and all they get is another ring even though they accomplished something even greater, the ring won’t feel nearly as awesome a reward as it does right now. That’s all I’m trying to say
I think a different ring indicating a better accomplishment will feel just as awesome as if they did not get a ring this year. I see it as being no different than the banners for various NCAA tournament success the basketball team has had. The non-NC banners take nothing away from the NC banner.

I believe if you go to one of the D3 SUNY schools you play in the SUNYAC which is essentially a conference within the state.

Never thought this would create such anger.

First of all, not an old codger, I’m 29.

Second, Men’s Volleyball.

Third my point was not “screw them for getting rings, don’t celebrate at all unless you win a natty.” That’s downright asinine. My point is the ring is too much for this accomplishment.

The kids busted their butts and absolutely deserve credit, recognition and celebration. But my point is that to me, a guy who was lucky enough to play (lower level) sports at a very high level, rings are reserved for only the highest of accomplishments. NY6 bowls, runner ups, titles, final four runs (if we are talking hoops), conference championships in the P5. Yeah it sucks that the year we were amazing was the year we couldn’t go to the Orange bowl, but that’s the circumstances.

Philosophically, the ring is too much for last year’s accomplishment, because how do we top it next year when we unseat Clemson in the dome, win the ACC and run to the playoffs? Are you going to tell me a ring for that is the same as a ring for the camping world bowl season we had a year before? Because to me, that becomes “just getting a ring” for that run after what they got for camping world the year before. That’s my philosophical stance on the issue, and that’s why I believe what I do.

For the record I’m not jealous the boys get rings because I didn’t. I knew what we needed to do to get rings with my boys. We never accomplished that feat. So we didn’t get rings. The end. To me the ring is what you get for an incredible accomplishment, not a damn good season, even if it’s historic for you and/or your school, but for something truly incredible for anyone, no matter their stature in the sport. To me, that’s the landmark for the reward being rings. To me Cuse had a special season for all of us. But if you went to Auburn (or hell West Virginia who we wiped in the Camping World Bowl) and said is that an elite season that deserves to be remembered by anyone in the sport, nobody aside from us will really say that’s the case.

Glad the boys get to celebrate, but if we are in a better position in the next 24-36 months, and all they get is another ring even though they accomplished something even greater, the ring won’t feel nearly as awesome a reward as it does right now. That’s all I’m trying to say

Pretty sure the rings are given by the bowl. Do you expect them to turn them down?

I believe if you go to one of the D3 SUNY schools you play in the SUNYAC which is essentially a conference within the state.

That is correct. And they have championships for each sport.

I’m all for whatever way they want to celebrate and remember what they did. Most of these guys won’t have a bunch of NFL game time. Being a part of this last season might be the pinnacle of their playing days. Having a visual reminder of all that hard work and grit is a good thing.

If you look around your house I’d bet you got some sentimental item that reminds you of a thing you overcame or a good memory.

The SUNY schools play in geographic conferences and not one huge conference. They play in conferences with other non SUNY schools i.e. private schools and close by SUNY schools. When they go to postseason tourneys or championships they go to the NCAAs and not a state only competition.

This is not a participation trophy!! The odds of becoming a D1 player is less than 1%
Rewarding them with bling which is more convenient coveted to young athletes than us for winning the best game they qualify for is a nice reward for sure .

This is not a participation trophy!! The odds of becoming a D1 player is less than 1%
Rewarding them with bling which is more convenient coveted to young athletes than us for winning the best game they qualify for is a nice reward for sure .
It’s also a nice recruiting tool. Good lord, let’s be happy for the kids and the staff. I think this awesome

We live in a country where people in certain industries give each other awards for things that can't be measured, just so they can dress up and feel important, and millions of people watch it and discuss it.
This is more akin to a performance or achievement bonus. Lots of companies do the same thing
To be honest, these rings are far down my list of why do they do that, and why do people care and, o echo other sentiments, I think it's also a bit of marketing to future recruits.

The SUNY schools play in geographic conferences and not one huge conference. They play in conferences with other non SUNY schools i.e. private schools and close by SUNY schools. When they go to postseason tourneys or championships they go to the NCAAs and not a state only competition.

For the most part, most of the 4 year SUNY schools play in the SUNYAC. There are a handful like Buffalo, Albany and a few down by NYC that play in other conferences. But there is only one recognized SUNY conference and it covers most of the state, so it’s not very geographic. From Buff St to New Paltz and from Cortland St to Plattsburgh. Kind of crazy in the winter.