If you want the officiating to be better ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you want the officiating to be better ...

It's always easy to spot the fans who have never reffed, or at least at any appreciable level. :noidea:

Look, here's how it works. Teams that aren't playing well are almost always behind in the play, both on offense and defense. On O they make poor choices, mishandle the ball, force passes where they won't go, dribble into trouble, shoot off balance, etc. On D they're invariably out of position, not moving their feet, over-focused on the ball, reaching in, have their hands all over their man, and usually get boxed out. And that's why calls seem to be going the other way.

True story: a long time ago I heard an announcer say to a player on a very good team (who I didn't like), "Why do fans say you get all the bounces, and the calls always seem to go your way?" And I'm going, "Yeah, baby, finally someone said it like it is!!" He said, "Because we work harder than everyone else." So I said, "Okay, I'll watch for that." And the next time I saw them play it was obvious how right he was.

Yes, refs miss things and even flat out just kick calls sometimes. But nowhere near the level I hear/read around here.

I am enjoying acc reffing compared to the big east, still had to laugh at a few whistles before there was any contact including jerami grants sick block but have to voice a good job to the refs. Make friends with them when they do good.

I give the acc refs a Good Job! pat on the back, so far they deserve it. And for the record it has nothing to do with winning or losing thusfar.

Last edited:
The problem is it seems like refs don't pay attention half the time. Calls that are obliviously in front of them are blown more than not it seems. But yes, we also played horrible for a stretch. If we didn't miss five dunks and five layups we woulda had another 20 pts. If refs paid attention we would have scored another 10 probably. Finishing in the paint has been a problem

According to the Pac12 refs that headlock Jerami was in would have been a flagrant 2 most likely with suspensions. The Pac 12 refs call flagrants on fast breaks where players bump shoulders. Truth is officiating has no consistency, and this year's new rules are going to make it worse. Each ref has their own opinion on fouls, which they are not paid for.

But seriously, how many times can a player fall on the sideline holding a basketball and the possession stays with them? It happens a few times a game within five feet of the ref.

My bad, it's actually the Big 12 that makes sketchy flagrant calls.. It was during the Iowa St Baylor game that they reviewed a foul on a fastbreak that involved two players bumping shoulders. It was reviewed then charged as a flagrant. Smh. Just saw it on youtube

It's always easy to spot the fans who have never reffed, or at least at any appreciable level. :noidea:

Look, here's how it works. Teams that aren't playing well are almost always behind in the play, both on offense and defense. On O they make poor choices, mishandle the ball, force passes where they won't go, dribble into trouble, shoot off balance, etc. On D they're invariably out of position, not moving their feet, over-focused on the ball, reaching in, have their hands all over their man, and usually get boxed out. And that's why calls seem to be going the other way.

True story: a long time ago I heard an announcer say to a player on a very good team (who I didn't like), "Why do fans say you get all the bounces, and the calls always seem to go your way?" And I'm going, "Yeah, baby, finally someone said it like it is!!" He said, "Because we work harder than everyone else." So I said, "Okay, I'll watch for that." And the next time I saw them play it was obvious how right he was.

Yes, refs miss things and even flat out just kick calls sometimes. But nowhere near the level I hear/read around here.

So i can better understand this. if i am on a team that is playing poorly and i dribble into trouble and get bumped by the opposition that is not a foul. but if i am playing on the team that is playing well and i dribble into trouble and get bumped i get the foul? I guess thats where I am lost. How does this happen?

So i can better understand this. if i am on a team that is playing poorly and i dribble into trouble and get bumped by the opposition that is not a foul. but if i am playing on the team that is playing well and i dribble into trouble and get bumped i get the foul? I guess thats where I am lost. How does this happen?

Please go back and reread the post. The point is that players/teams who are playing well generally don't do those things. Do you think "dribbling into trouble" is playing well?

Cowtown you misunderstand. If the refs call fouls on us while we are behind then they are bad calls.

Actually any call against us is a bad call.

Please go back and reread the post. The point is that players/teams who are playing well generally don't do those things. Do you think "dribbling into trouble" is playing well?

Maybe i thought i could get by him. So i get bailed out if my team is playing well but not if we aren't My point is and always will be with officials is the lack of consistency. they put these "points of emphasis" in and they tell me that players have adjusted but I don't buy it. I was watching Gameday over the weekend and they showed clips of CBB in 1985 and guys were 5 feet off playing defense with there feet not there hands. If the NBA can clean that crap up then the NCAA can. It comes down to the officials and there not ready to change yet. Hopefully the trend of these idiots retiring continues. Until then these "points of emphasis" will be emphasized in November/December instead of January/February/March/April

a serious question though because i have always been curious what happens when an official makes a huge screw-up that affects the outcome of the game? Especially at high D1 level. Do they get brought into an office and get yelled at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom