If you want the officiating to be better ... | Syracusefan.com

If you want the officiating to be better ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
play better. And sooner, too. Make that much sooner. Did SU get some sketchy calls? Yes. So did BC. But the truth is, we went long stretches in which we didn't play very well, and it's juvenile to complain because the refs didn't bail us out. I think tonight, on balance, we got the game we deserved from them.

There were a few but we got a few. you can expect a 4-5 bad call advantage to the home team it happens. I get angry when it gets to the 8-15 range though.
The refs were much better then the announcer :)

play better. And sooner, too. Make that much sooner. Did SU get some sketchy calls? Yes. So did BC. But the truth is, we went long stretches in which we didn't play very well, and it's juvenile to complain because the refs didn't bail us out. I think tonight, on balance, we got the game we deserved from them.
Interesting interpretation of how officials should operate. Makes sense if you are coaching the players. For fans it is entirely different.

I never have understood how to play better when you get fouled and don't get the call or make a good play and get called for a foul. I completely agree you can't worry about the refs when playing - you have to play through it or overcome it. However that in no way exonerates a seriously poorly officiated game. Coaches, players and refs all need to be held accountable. The refs are required to be good every game and not choose which team they want or think is playing better.

Most of all today even the announcers that were openly rooting for BC questioned so many calls that went against us. That isn't expecting to be bailed out. Its wanting to be treated fairly.

Players do have to play on and this SU squad does. Fans like you and I want a well officiated game and we can complain because it won't affect the team thank god since we don't have to concentrate on the next play.

There were a few but we got a few. you can expect a 4-5 bad call advantage to the home team it happens. I get angry when it gets to the 8-15 range though.
The refs were much better then the announcer :)
Hell I was much better than the announcers. Raise your standards, this is SU!

I completely agree you can't worry about the refs when playing - you have to play through it or overcome it.

I think we agree that we need to pay enough attention to them to adjust successfully. The blocking foul on CJ at the lower right in the 2nd half was a head scratcher. I don't think overall they were as bad as a lot of others do, but that's just me.

Cow I respect that you were an official, but re watch the game. I just re watch 10... TEN complete BS calls that went against us. This was maybe the most obvious on hte play where they called it BC ball when the player had the ball, elbows on the endline and his entire torso out of bounds. The fix was in, just didnt work out.

Cow I respect that you were an official, but re watch the game. I just re watch 10... TEN complete BS calls that went against us. This was maybe the most obvious on hte play where they called it BC ball when the player had the ball, elbows on the endline and his entire torso out of bounds. The fix was in, just didnt work out.

No sweat TerryM, I knew I'd get some heat for this, but it's how I honestly feel, so I said it. On that out-of-bounds call, he's standing right there, looking right at it, not ten feet away. I honestly thought he'd called a foul on the SU player he was fighting with for the ball, so I wasn't really upset with the call. Sometimes on what's a 50-50 foul/no-call, if you can call OB & give the ball to the guy who deserved it rather than a foul, you do. I don't know that's what he did, however. He still probably saw something other than we did. And just for the record, I still ref; I also played in college, and I coached for 15 years. :)

Last edited:
Prop
No sweat TerryM, I knew I'd get some heat for this, but it's how I honestly feel, so I said it. On that out-of-bounds call, he's standing right there, looking right at it, not ten feet away. I honestly thought he'd called a foul on the SU player he was fighting with for the ball, so Iw asn't really upset with the call. Sometimes on what's a 50-50 foul/no-call, if you can call OB & give the ball to the guy who deserved it rather than a foul, you do. I don't know that's what he did, however. He still probably saw something other than we did. And just for the record, I still ref; I also played in college, and I coached for 15 years. :)
Props and respect for that. I guess I just want fairness. the NBA is scads better in this respect. We need to get to the point where the game is called by robots. People error too much

Props and respect for that. I guess I just want fairness. the NBA is scads better in this respect. We need to get to the point where the game is called by robots. People error too much

Tks for some honest and intelligent discussion; and yes, we all want fair, and I think none of us ask for more than that. And also please believe me when I say if I have a bad game, I'm usually pretty fair then also, if you get me. :D

The biggest issue I have is consistency. I felt the physicality was reffed a bit more in BC's favor. With that said.. we manned up and hit the floor like we should have and got the calls accordingly.

Cowtown, I always appreciate your perspective.

There's never an excuse for an anticipation call like the one on Grant's block. Grant was still in the process of jumping -- hadn't made contact with ball or player -- and the official raised his arm and blew the whistle.

That just can't happen.

It's also disappointing to see the 2014 rules interpretations selectively applied. Grant and Fair were bad in the first half and that hurt us. The missed shots didn't help, but the fact that they were being bodied and held on every offensive possession was a major contributor.

Cowtown said:

That's unacceptable to me. Call the game how it's supposed to be called regardless of how good or bad one team of playing. So based on that logic if syracuse was playing well that foul call on grant wouldn't have been called? I don't buy it. I'm not looking for bailouts. I'm looking for consistency and that will never happen because there never held publicly accountable for there screw ups

Prop

Most of the calls that we have the most trouble with are subjective...even when you watch it on super slow motion the call still hinges on a subjective interpretation of what you see. Given that, I am fine with errors. This may sound crazy, but I even like that element of the game to a certain degree. I feel like it works in our favor as much as against us and I really don't want more stoppages in play so that we can go review the tape.

I don't mind complaining about calls I disagree with BUT I don't feel that fans should say they lost a game as the result of poor officiating.

There were a lot of calls last night that made me question whether the refs weren't inserting themselves into the game. If we lost, though, it would have been due to poor perimeter defense and an anemic offense.

the problem with America right here folks

let's not keep score either and give participation awards

I watched the whole game and didn't notice any calls that were that egregious... A few that could have gone either way, but nothing that I got up and stomped around the room about... I did jump out of my seat on that Grant block they called a foul on.

Grant gets clotheslined in the first half on a dunk attempt and ends up on his back on the deck. No call. What should have been two JG free throws instead ignites a big BC run. Sometimes the refs just suck.

Last edited:
the problem with America right here folks

let's not keep score either and give participation awards

That is such a complete non sequitur there's no way to respond to it except perhaps to nominate it as the MIPOTW.

Grant gets clotheslined in the first half on a dunk attempt and ends on on his back on the deck. No call. What should have been two JG free throws ends up igniting a big BC run. Sometimes the refs just suck.

Being at the game last night, the two Grant calls that didn't go our way were total horse manure.

The dunk where he was HACKED on, and the absurd stuff he made that was all ball...both of those were AWFUL calls.

That is such a complete non sequitur there's no way to respond to it except perhaps to nominate it as the MIPOTW.
these refs make really good money to perform a job, when they do not perform that job, I will criticize them

what I won't do is say our team should play better to make up for their incompetence

Cowtown, I always appreciate your perspective.

There's never an excuse for an anticipation call like the one on Grant's block. Grant was still in the process of jumping -- hadn't made contact with ball or player -- and the official raised his arm and blew the whistle.

Thanks, Otto. I was watching the game on an internet stream that was a little grainy so I couldn't see that play with enough detail to tell for certain, but I think he got caught anticipating on that. We always teach newer officials to "anticipate the play, not the foul" and to try to get them to see the whole play before making a call. That's still a tough adjustment for a lot of officials who still seem to think you have to blow the whistle within a nanosecond of the contact. And that's why you'll see some officials make the call "a half-count late" in order to see disadvantage rather than just contact.

Thanks, Otto. I was watching the game on an internet stream that was a little grainy so I couldn't see that play with enough detail to tell for certain, but I think he got caught anticipating on that. We always teach newer officials to "anticipate the play, not the foul" and to try to get them to see the whole play before making a call. That's still a tough adjustment for a lot of officials who still seem to think you have to blow the whistle within a nanosecond of the contact. And that's why you'll see some officials make the call "a half-count late" in order to see disadvantage rather than just contact.

People get upset about a late whistle but I'll take that over what happened last night any time. Accuracy is best.

I probably shouldn't even post in this thread, but I really can't ever get too worked up with the reffing. (Well ok, brandon probably got screwed both in the OSU and Mich games the last few years).
this is a really hard sport to officiate. On the BC board (LOL; well if they had one) I bet you would find a thread with them bitching about missed calls on their side too.

But man, when (if?) we ever lose one, the bitchign about the refs will be insufferable.

I watched the whole game and didn't notice any calls that were that egregious... A few that could have gone either way, but nothing that I got up and stomped around the room about... I did jump out of my seat on that Grant block they called a foul on.
You must have missed the one when grant was in a headlock on a putback

You must have missed the one when grant was in a headlock on a putback

If he would have played better the refs would have called that headlock. You see, the refs "gave him the calls he deserved" based on some kind of random criteria not really related to the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom