If you were Battle’s advisor | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If you were Battle’s advisor

That's an excellent story. But you can do the same story with CJ Fair and Rak Christmas too.

Kyle Wiltjer in the story was graduated as well. There's just not many open spots in the NBA
The majority of guys who are drafted have similar stories. If you go undrafted, the odds of getting to the NBA are significantly worse.

You are right about the scarcity of open spots, which is why I laugh when people assume that these kids will automatically improve their draft stock by returning and then have longer NBA careers as a result. The reality for most who return is that they just end up competing with an additional group of players for one of the few NBA roster spots that open up each year.

Not really. Those 2 weren't one and dones, the UK thought they were ready. Some more maturity and muscle would not have hurt.

Huh? Could you not do a story about how CJ and Rak were the big men on campus and now are playing overseas and in the G league?

Huh? Could you not do a story about how CJ and Rak were the big men on campus and now are playing overseas and in the G league?

The whole point of that story is the flip side of Kentucky's one and done culture. Our guys used their eligibility and were always AAAA types. Completely different.

But that's also one less year in a very small window of time to earn a living playing basketball.

How much money is he really losing if he’s not a first round pick and is in the G league that year ? If he were a sure fire 1st round pick it would be different

The whole point of that story is the flip side of Kentucky's one and done culture. Our guys used their eligibility and were always AAAA types. Completely different.

This sounds like your agenda is shaping how you are reading this. If it was about one and dones, why are Kyle Wiltjer, The Harrisons, Terrance Jones, and Derek Willis discussed?

This sounds like your agenda is shaping how you are reading this. If it was about one and dones, why are Kyle Wiltjer, The Harrisons, Terrance Jones, and Derek Willis discussed?

It was about Kentucky. The biggest narrative about them is one and done, and yeah, agreed they talk about other people.

To me the most interesting part are the one and done guys who drift around the world in a rather lonely existence. A guy like Wiltjer seems to be boxing in his weight class.

It was about Kentucky. The biggest narrative about them is one and done, and yeah, agreed they talk about other people.

To me the most interesting part are the one and done guys who drift around the world in a rather lonely existence. A guy like Wiltjer seems to be boxing in his weight class.
These guys become prisoner to their basketball talent.

It's great to be a high school phenom, then go to a big time school and be the star on campus. But after the draft is over and your one chance doesn't pan out, it can get damn depressing.

I mean, a basketball team in Lebanon? Really? I would be willing to bet that guy would give up a lot for one more year of wearing a Kentucky uniform. At least he would know the checks would clear...

This season I have intently watched all of JBs press conferences.

A consistent and yet subtle thread that runs through them —- especially in the last few —- is that JB has tremendous admiration for the toughness and resilience of this particular team.

And Battle is the team leader in that.

Now I know JB wants to win, but because he admires Battle so much I think he is going to give Battle the best advice of anyone Battle will talk to about this decision.

If Battle is going to be a first rounder —- and JB can probably get a better fairer assessment of that than Battle can —- then he obviously ought to go. But if he’s not, then coming back could be a good idea.

To me, this has always been the best argument in favor of the vast majority of our players staying for one more year. You get to be a star for one more season, you get to play in front of 30,000+ a couple more times, you get to compete at near the highest level for what might be the last time in your life. You KNOW that you have all of this in your grasp! Why would you give that up for the unknown? Because you'll be one more year into your prime? If you get to the point in the NBA where you are on the decline physically that means you stuck around the league for long enough that you were able to make millions anyways, so it's not as if that's even a major risk when compared to the risk of never playing high level basketball again.

When you look at it from the standpoint of what is likely, next year could be the most memorable year of Tyus Battle's life if he returns. He will be the star player of a team that will be ranked preseason and should contend for a championship. Even if you put aside the very real argument that he could improve his draft status (seeing as he is shooting under 40%, 31.6% from three and has an underwater assist to turnover ratio there's tons of room for improvement), there's still the basic human factor of what is going to create the memories that you will cherish down the road. The most realistic scenario is that coming back is best for him due to this factor alone.

I would tell him to read this article and then think really hard about where he thinks his path will lead.

From Atop the College Basketball World to the Middle of Nowhere

I feel he should go if he is first round material. He is extremely athletic would be a great on ball defender in pro’s. Now if he is a second rounder, then I think he should come back because the things they say he needs to improve are things like improving his shooting, passing after he drives to open shooter, and being more consistent day in and day out. Mock next year has him 40 something and I feel his numbers don’t have to improve for nba guys to see he needs to be first rounder. I hope he stays but would understand if he goes. The key is how much would he love to be playing for acc and national championship. No doubt we are a top 3 team in country with him and Brissett coming back and Sidibe healthy. Man would that be fun to watch.

I think as fans we overrate the college experience

Well as a Syracuse grad i think we underrate the experience FOR NORMAL STUDENTS. It was awesome. These hoop players are in a South Campus bubble. They don't live normal lives like students who go from Day Hall to Booth to a frat/sorority to Castle Court. They are working for their scholarship every day.

i don't begrudge a kid who isn't interested in learning about history wanting to go to the NBA to learn the business of basketball. Some kids want to be well rounded (Duncan) and are better for it. At the end of the day, they need to know what they're giving up and if it's important and what they are getting (guaranteed deal, potentially G League, better training, etc).

College! BMOC! 30 thousand fans! Games on TV! Who needs a silly paycheck?
racooncoatrevival50s.jpg

I think as fans we overrate the college experience

That might be true. I think I probably do to an extent.

On the flip side, I think we as stable, successful, or at least well-adjusted professionals tend to overrate the workforce experience. The reality of working for a living, especially for a 21-year-old kid with virtually no work background and a limited support system in a new city, can be pretty bleak. It's not just as simple as "get drafted, watch the paychecks roll in, and the quality of life is tremendous." Some (not you) seem to make that assumption.

He's not an NBA player in my mind. Has the funny hitch in his jumper and has trouble breaking down guards off the dribble.

That said he should go. I think his style could be detrimental to the team concept next season and we'll roll with Howard, Washington, Hughes and Carey.

I'm not his advisor, but I'd tell him to go to the combine and hear directly from NBA scouts to find out what the flaws to his game are so that he can put himself in prime position to get drafted.

I think he needs another year and I'm a firm believer in that regardless of where you play and your year in school, the NBA will find you. Mikal Bridges is a junior and will go in the lottery. He's just the latest player to defy the thought process of you having to leave as a freshman to maximize your potential.

GMs aren't waiting for you to develop. They'll toss you in the G-League and if you can't make that leap, they'll cut their losses. Do what you need to in order to earn that second contract which shows you have some staying power. If that means coming back another year to further refine your skill set, so be it.

He's not an NBA player in my mind. Has the funny hitch in his jumper and has trouble breaking down guards off the dribble.

That said he should go. I think his style could be detrimental to the team concept next season and we'll roll with Howard, Washington, Hughes and Carey.

Battle is our best player. ( although Brissett has more upside)

If Battle is on the team he will play and star.

Washington?

You can’t be serious.