IL: 2021 Top 50 College Lacrosse Players | Syracusefan.com

IL: 2021 Top 50 College Lacrosse Players

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Fun offseason topic - IL includes both men and women in its list. Chase Scanlan comes in at 46. Not sure how to gauge against the women, but thought he might be listed higher. Curious to see who else from SU makes the list - would think Curry, Dordevic, Porter and Trimboli have a shot to be listed?

Last edited by a moderator:
13. Jamie Trimboli, M, Syracuse
It feels like any one of Syracuse’s first-line midfielders can be in the spot. Tucker Dordevic, Brendan Curry and Trimboli’s line was unstoppable last season. Trimboli was on pace for career highs in goals and assists. He gets the nod for his poise and leadership as the face of the Syracuse program that seems in place to get back to Championship Weekend.

Glad to see Trimboli properly recognized. Endured fan critique, listened to suggestions and worked to elevate his game to great heights.

Think mingling of genders non sensical given wide differences in game but assuming final ten split evenly , guessing Sowers as #1 player in lacrosse followed somewhere by Ierlan, Teat, Gray and Terefenko.

2. Emily Hawryschuk, A, Syracuse
Coach Gait’s most recent great out of ‘Attacker U,’ Hawryschuk seemed almost a shoo-in for a Tewaaraton finalist nod in 2021 after helping Syracuse to one of its strongest starts in recent years. A two-time first-team All-American, Hawryschuk was ILWomen’s "Clutch Player of the Year" in 2020 — key performances out of the team captain helped Syracuse to key wins over Maryland (5G, 1A, 1GB, 2CT) and Northwestern (6G, 3DC, 4GB, 2CT) early. Alongside Kennedy and Trenchard, Hawryschuk has been a multi-year member of the U.S. women’s national team.

Anyone else think it’s a bit nonsensical to have Trimboli at 13 and neither of the other two first line middies even on the list ? They even say in their write up they are interchangeable! Trimbo was probably the best of the three last year but they all had moments where each one was playing the best. They had Curry as a 1st team all American last year and now he’s not a top 50 player? Questionable. Happy for him though the fact that he listened to Casey Powell and worked on that lefty high to low shot made him deadly last year. I agree with IvoryTower might as well have done a top 25 male and 25 female lists with how dissimilar women’s and men’s lacrosse are seems strange to combine the lists

Anyone else think it’s a bit nonsensical to have Trimboli at 13 and neither of the other two first line middies even on the list ? They even say in their write up they are interchangeable! Trimbo was probably the best of the three last year but they all had moments where each one was playing the best. They had Curry as a 1st team all American last year and now he’s not a top 50 player? Questionable. Happy for him though the fact that he listened to Casey Powell and worked on that lefty high to low shot made him deadly last year. I agree with IvoryTower might as well have done a top 25 male and 25 female lists with how dissimilar women’s and men’s lacrosse are seems strange to combine the lists

Yes, I had the same thought - strange that they admitted they were lumping all three together. They listed two UNC Women's attackers in the top 10 list, so not sure why that is different. Should be interesting to see where they are ranked when preseason All American lists come out, imagine it will look a lot like how last year ended.

Trimboli really looked good last season, playing with tons of confidence. If you had to pick one to get honored it should be him, he led the unit in points, but Curry and Dordevic have higher ceilings in my opinion. Curry has incredible speed and can really pick corners. My criticism of him would be that sometimes he tries too hard to hit those corners, and that I think he really could be a much better passer - he had 14 in 2019, I'd like to see that number reach the 20s (only had three in '20). Dordevic has the best burst of any of the starting midfielders and is the best pure dodger. He started the season out slowly (4 points in the first three games, 10 in the last two), it really would have been interesting to see what kind of numbers he would have put up. Regardless of who gets ranked where and how highly, all three are going to be a major problem for opposing defenses.

Effectively, IL acknowledges we have 4 of the top 25/27 mens players in the country