IL 2024 Midseason All Americans | Syracusefan.com

IL 2024 Midseason All Americans

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Put These Guys On the Radar - Matt Kinnear

Billy Dwan, D, Syracuse
It’s not easy to call someone with the last name Dwan and his recruiting profile “under the radar,” but he is coming in to his own. He and Syracuse’s week against Delaware then Duke might be the best few days for a defense this year. He helped shut down Brennan O’Neill and Duke in a flex for the Orange D.

Mason Kohn, FO, Syracuse
The Tufts transfer is ninth nationally in face-off win percentage (.620), but his impact is among the biggest in the country. The possession advantage has flipped a switch for the Orange O, and Kohn’s ability to win and create offense is special. But Kohn isn't the only one. Put a bunch of other face-off guys in this category: Bryant’s Nathan LaLiberte (.692) and Villanova’s Justin Coppola (.624) come to mind.

Carter Rice, SSDM, Syracuse
Patrick McEwen posed the question after the Orange’s dismantling of Duke’s offense. “How many Cuse defenders need to be on my All-American ballot?” Rice is on that shortlist at a position that many have a tough time evaluating.

Billy Dwan, D, Syracuse
It’s not easy to call someone with the last name Dwan and his recruiting profile “under the radar,” but he is coming in to his own. He and Syracuse’s week against Delaware then Duke might be the best few days for a defense this year. He helped shut down Brennan O’Neill and Duke in a flex for the Orange D.

Mason Kohn, FO, Syracuse
The Tufts transfer is ninth nationally in face-off win percentage (.620), but his impact is among the biggest in the country. The possession advantage has flipped a switch for the Orange O, and Kohn’s ability to win and create offense is special. But Kohn isn't the only one. Put a bunch of other face-off guys in this category: Bryant’s Nathan LaLiberte (.692) and Villanova’s Justin Coppola (.624) come to mind.

Patrick McEwen posed the question after the Orange’s dismantling of Duke’s offense. “How many Cuse defenders need to be on my All-American ballot?” Rice is on that shortlist at a position that many have a tough time evaluating.

I put a link in the ND articles but a new post makes more sense, thanks!

Billy Dwan, D, Syracuse

Mason Kohn, FO, Syracuse

Rice has been great. He's been important clearing as well.

Rice has had a killer year. Feel like the main reason we can get away with the committee approach at ssdm is because at least nobody is sliding to Rice. Trust him against anyone. Not to mention 10 CTs, tied with Figueras for 1st on the team. If we continue to limit good teams on defense, he better be 2nd or 1st team.

Surprised they do not mention that Kohn has more points (11) than a lot of guys on 2nd middie lines. With Lasalla out of the picture, he is certainly the best faceoff guy on offense this season.

Rice has been playing such great defense that usually they choose more two way guys for SSDM AA which I hate because defense is their main job not offense but Rice has been so good defensively that he is being mentioned as an AA. That is impressive. Just think from yr 1 he was so confused all game and always thinking to yr 2 he played solid D was much more comfortable to yr 3 one of the best pure defensive SSDMs in the country.

As I've said elsewhere, I defy anyone to pick an Orange player who has played as consistently well as Carter Rice, week-in, week-out.
Nope he's been steady and consistent every game. I only remember his guy scoring on him one on one once this whole season. That's 11 games I could be wrong maybe he was beat more but not much at all. He's been playing outstanding defense this yr.

Is Steven’s a legit 2nd teamer?

It's hard to say. Midfield is such a tough position to grade out these days, so much of the offense runs through the attack. A lot of the top ranked midfielders are really playing more attack than anything (see Graham Bundy at Gtown). I've been impressed with Stevens from an offensive standpoint (17 points, missing two games), though defensively I think I was expecting a bit more. He's got 20 groundballs on the year, but I think that's mostly because Kohn and Mullen pick up a ton on their own.

I think given his injury layoff he's been playing less defense, but at least he plays it (most offensive midfielders sprint to the sub box as soon as possession changes hands). I've been more impressed with English as a defender, but English has one fewer point and five more turnovers. Plus I think Stevens has built a reputation as a do-it-all midfielder whereas English is viewed as just an offensive player. English hasn't put up the points we probably expected this year, but I think he should get more credit than he gets for being a primary ball handler (he starts the offense on a lot of possessions), and he's played a ton of defense.

Anyways, I'm not sure he has totally earned second team, but I think now that he's fully healthy he's got a great chance to really cement his status as an All American by the end of the season. He just needs to stop dangling his stick in traffic, feels like he's been getting stripped from behind a bunch these last few weeks.

Olexo gets no respect. Piseno is great, no issue with him at first team… kid is a unicorn. I don’t know much about Nova or BU’s LSMs but it’s really hard for me to believe they are better than Olexo. Hes got 6 points already. Good on wings, great cover skills, smart with the ball when carrying. I don’t get it

It's hard to say. Midfield is such a tough position to grade out these days, so much of the offense runs through the attack. A lot of the top ranked midfielders are really playing more attack than anything (see Graham Bundy at Gtown). I've been impressed with Stevens from an offensive standpoint (17 points, missing two games), though defensively I think I was expecting a bit more. He's got 20 groundballs on the year, but I think that's mostly because Kohn and Mullen pick up a ton on their own.

I think given his injury layoff he's been playing less defense, but at least he plays it (most offensive midfielders sprint to the sub box as soon as possession changes hands). I've been more impressed with English as a defender, but English has one fewer point and five more turnovers. Plus I think Stevens has built a reputation as a do-it-all midfielder whereas English is viewed as just an offensive player. English hasn't put up the points we probably expected this year, but I think he should get more credit than he gets for being a primary ball handler (he starts the offense on a lot of possessions), and he's played a ton of defense.

Anyways, I'm not sure he has totally earned second team, but I think now that he's fully healthy he's got a great chance to really cement his status as an All American by the end of the season. He just needs to stop dangling his stick in traffic, feels like he's been getting stripped from behind a bunch these last few weeks.
Agree and I'd add to this that his value was greatly missed in the Army game and we may well have won it had he been able to play.

1st Team
G-Will Mark, Syracuse

Second Team
A-Joey Spallina, Syracuse
M-Jake Stevens, Syracuse

Third Team
FO-Mason Kohn, Syracuse
D-Billy Dwan, Syracuse

Honorable Mention
M-Michael Leo, ,Syracuse
SSDM-Carter Rice, Syracuse
LSM-Saam Olexo, Syracuse
Great that Billy Dwan was recognized. Two other SU players that may work there way up to a list by the end of the season -- Christian Mule and Owen Hiltz if he can continue the way he's played the last few games.

Olexo gets no respect. Piseno is great, no issue with him at first team… kid is a unicorn. I don’t know much about Nova or BU’s LSMs but it’s really hard for me to believe they are better than Olexo. Hes got 6 points already. Good on wings, great cover skills, smart with the ball when carrying. I don’t get it
There are a few others that I feel the same about. I wouldn’t get too caught up in these list. A lot of politics go into the selections.

Great that Billy Dwan was recognized. Two other SU players that may work there way up to a list by the end of the season -- Christian Mule and Owen Hiltz if he can continue the way he's played the last few games.
I'm surprised that Hiltz wasn't at least an HM - he doesn't get enough respect.
Happy to see Mark recognized - Entenmann will be looking for revenge tomorrow

Spallina is the only attackman who is a sophomore or younger.
6 of the top 9 attackmen finish up this year.
13 of the 21 attackmen finish up this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom