IL: Swezey's Way-Ahead 2018 Rankings | Syracusefan.com

IL: Swezey's Way-Ahead 2018 Rankings

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Swezey's Way-Ahead 2018 Rankings

I like these rankings better. :)

4. Syracuse (13-3, lost in NCAA Quarterfinals)
Brian Coughlin’s estimated scoring lost: 48.6 percent
Sophomore Stephen Rehfuss (13G,12A) was a revelation down the stretch with his speed and ability to get defenses moving. An attack of Rehfuss, senior Brendon Bomberry (28G,10A) and either junior Nate Solomon (28G) or redshirt freshman Logan Wisnauskas will be a handful for opponents. On defense, keep an eye on juniors Tyson Bomberry and Nick Mellen. The Championship Weekend drought, four years and counting, won’t last much longer.

Swezey's Way-Ahead 2018 Rankings

I like these rankings better. :)

4. Syracuse (13-3, lost in NCAA Quarterfinals)
Brian Coughlin’s estimated scoring lost: 48.6 percent
Sophomore Stephen Rehfuss (13G,12A) was a revelation down the stretch with his speed and ability to get defenses moving. An attack of Rehfuss, senior Brendon Bomberry (28G,10A) and either junior Nate Solomon (28G) or redshirt freshman Logan Wisnauskas will be a handful for opponents. On defense, keep an eye on juniors Tyson Bomberry and Nick Mellen. The Championship Weekend drought, four years and counting, won’t last much longer.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth with that nice #4 ranking but I personally think his top 5 is a bit of a stretch save for Albany.

UNC at #5 seems high when you consider that that they lose Kelly at the X, their best close defender (Pifani), both starting SSDM's and their most consistent and best O threat in Goldstock. Like SU there is a lot of talent at UNC but the #5 ranking, I don't see it.

I think Syracuse could have a better year post-season wise then what we saw this year but I don't see this as the #4 team right now. Way to many questions especially at attack and at the X.

I think Albany at #3 is if anything low, I would have them at minimum as my #2 team possibly #1. I think next year is really there year to make a run they remind me a lot of the 2015 SU team with a lot of seniors on both sides of the ball including Fields, Reh, Colarusso, Stone Sims, etc etc. I know Nanticoke is projected at Lyle Thompson part #2 but they need to get it done next year as they lose a ton to graduation.

To me the biggest head scratcher is Maryland #2. I know Tillman has done yeoman's work (despite my personal dislike of him) since he got to Maryland and they finally broke through this year but I don't see any scenario where they are the #2 team going into next year. Not only is the entire starting attack gone, they also lose their #1 defender and their #1 SSDM both of whom were all Americans plus I believe the other starting SSDM is gone as well. They do return both Connor Kelly and Rotanz but Maryland got almost nothing from its bench last year and unless there bringing in a boat load of high end transfers I don't see them being anwhere close to the team they were this past season. Also both Kelly and Rotanz are Seniors next year so it's not like they can build around either of them for the long haul.

I don't have a huge problem with Duke at #1 but I think its being generous. Duke returns a ton next year like Albany but they lose more then I think people realize. Both Rowe and Fowler graduated not to mention their starting LSM and 2 of their three staring close defenders who finally came into their own this season and Zenker their best SSDM. Offense returns just about everyone but does lose Bruckner. Now Danowski could do what he did when he lost the last great faceoff guy and grab a transfer but its hard to find a Rowe and Ben Williams each time. Duke was also to inconsistent in my mind. Blew out JHU but the game before that against a ND missing several key pieces who underachieved they struggled to score and lost despite ND not having Perkovic or Garnsey. Duke as the pieces to be a top team especially if those young middies take that next step forward but they need to be a lot more consistent as they were exposed against Ohio State.

I listen to the board experts on our team. While I don't see us as the 16th best team the Baltimore paper had.

Maybe top 5 is too high.

So split the difference and I would say we are 8-9 next year preseason.

Anyone else notice that he has the entire ACC conference ranked in the top 10? I don't see North Carolina (without Goldstock) or Virginia being top 10 teams next year. Penn State and Rutgers will continue to be overrated while Notre Dame and Ohio State look under rated. My sleeper team to make the tourney next year is Boston University - Ryan Polly has done a great job building that program in such a short time. Syracuse may be a bit over ranked at 4, but definitely a top 10 team heading into the season - lots of talent on that roster...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom