Illegal Player Payoffs Going on Since at Least 2000 | Syracusefan.com

Illegal Player Payoffs Going on Since at Least 2000

Calipari is also a Western PA guy. But I'm sure those two have never crossed paths before. :rolleyes:

Bill Walton has admitted that the UCLA players were paid in the 60s, and don't forget the Fab five in the early 90s, and when did that envelop spill out at Kentucky?

Some sensational details coming out in court papers.
Seems unlikely this guy Blazer was the only one doing it.

By the way...among his clients was DaJuan Blair who chose Pitt over Tennessee (and Bruce Pearl) at the last minute.
A Pittsburgh hometown coincidence?

http://nypost.com/2017/09/28/meet-the-con-man-who-brought-college-basketball-to-its-knees/

I assume this stuff has been going on for as long as there have been college sports

I did a bit of research on Blazer Capital and posted it in the Big Thread, but I think it's buried about 200 pages deep now. Copying it below since it's relevant to the OP:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This qualifies as Barely Informed Rank Speculation, but there seems to be no shortage of it right now, so here you go:

I took a look at this Blazer Capital firm, which provided wealth management services to athletes and entertainers. Not surprisingly, they didn't have a public roster of their clients. However, reporting around the time Marty Blazer was charged linked a few athletes to the firm, because they were suing him over misappropriated funds.

Additionally, one of Blazer Capital's former partners, Rob Wilson, has a media presence (his own YouTube channel/podcast, appearances on CNN, interviews, etc.) Through those avenues, a number of his clients have been named. As far as I know, Wilson was not implicated in any of Marty Blazer's crimes (Wilson's FINRA and SEC profiles aren't marked with the same notes related to the investigation as Blazer's are), but they were clients of the firm and Blazer may have had contact with them.

The list is below (sorry about the size):
Blazer_Capital3.png

Blazer Capital was based in Pittsburgh, so the Pitt/Penn State stuff isn't surprising (plus alums from each school were partners). Greg Little is an interesting name, given he was previously declared ineligible and sent a "letter of permanent disassociation" from UNC, which "prohibit the players from contacting current UNC athletes, bar them from the Kenan Football Center and other campus athletic facilities, and prohibit them from providing recruiting or financial assistance for athletics." Plus, he was briefly part of the basketball program before focusing on football full time.

Obviously this list is very likely irrelevant. Blazer Capital used to advertise that its athletes had signed over half a billion dollars worth of contracts, so this list is likely (very) incomplete. But I wasted time this evening looking into it, so here it is.

Yeah... so, this goes back to Wooden, at least.
It went back to ancient Greeks when people began to play sports. There are always incentives paying to star athletes under the table.

It went back to ancient Greeks when people began to play sports. There are always incentives paying to star athletes under the table.
Whoa, hey now, let's not have this get racial. Let's leave the Greeks out of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom