Illinois reportedly considering offering $4.8 million to Tony Bennett | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Illinois reportedly considering offering $4.8 million to Tony Bennett

i would rather have a kangaroo coach us than play that style.
What?
th

I've said it before we should go after Bennett. He's the second best coach in the game behind Jimmy B. Send him a blank check. The future depends on it.

I'll be really surprised if Bennett goes to Illinois. That is a step down in both program and conference at this point. Also remember, with Boeheim, Laranaga, K, Roy, and Pitino all in the the last few years of their careers (lets say 10 or less and all of them will be gone), Bennett is in a position to be the elder statesmen of the ACC coaching fraternity (combined tenure and success). I don't know if that means too much to him but it would seem to indicate recruiting will become easier at UVA.

State of Illinois has massive tax issues and they're willing to make that offer?!

Priorities out of whack
Really? If hiring him makes 5 instead of losing 1 (just an example) what's the problem? It's about the net

I'll be really surprised if Bennett goes to Illinois. That is a step down in both program and conference at this point. Also remember, with Boeheim, Laranaga, K, Roy, and Pitino all in the the last few years of their careers (lets say 10 or less and all of them will be gone), Bennett is in a position to be the elder statesmen of the ACC coaching fraternity (combined tenure and success). I don't know if that means too much to him but it would seem to indicate recruiting will become easier at UVA.
agree 100% but for someone like Katz to put the "this school should go after Bennett" out there - makes me think he is aware of at least a willingness to listen on Bennett's part

There are homeless in every city.

Bennett isn't likely to be one of them.

Athletes and people in other businesses make the mistake of over valuing money. When you are making $2 million a year, why do you need $4 million and end up uprooting yourself and your family to a situation that may not pan out. Money isn't everything --even if your name is dollarbill44.

Bennett isn't likely to be one of them.

Athletes and people in other businesses make the mistake of over valuing money. When you are making $2 million a year, why do you need $4 million and end up uprooting yourself and your family to a situation that may not pan out. Money isn't everything --even if your name is dollarbill44.
You said you'd "like to be rich enough to live in the city of your choice." I'm saying you don't need any money to live in the city of your choice. For example, there are a lot of people living in Midtown Manhattan for no money.

I thought I should share this with y'all. Relevant part starts at the 3:55 mark.
Well, it sounds like unless the big 10 can reproduce the level of competition of Duke, UNC, Cuse, 'Ville, ND etc I don't think he is going anywhere as long as Virginia is reasonable about his pay increase due to his elevated demand in the market.

State of Illinois has massive tax issues and they're willing to make that offer?!

Priorities out of whack

We also have a budget stalemate that has gone on for 2 years, it's a trainwreck. But yes, overpaying Tony is the priority.

Virginia, for the most part, in my opinion had been a sleeping giant until the Bennett hire. They had great teams of yesteryear with Sampson, etc., and honestly I'm not sure what took their administration so long to get it done. UVA, with its gorgeous campus, exceptional high level academics, location, along with it being in the ACC is an excellent place to be. I would say a top 15-20 job in all the land for hoops, if not higher. Bennett isn't going anywhere. UVA has plenty of cash to offer if they choose, it's the state's flagship institution.

FWIW, the last time Bennett's contract was re-negotiated, he turned down the bump in salary he was offered in order that all his staff could be given significant raises. Additionally, the increases he did receive were in the form of 'performance bonuses', at his insistence. At least, this is what I heard (and it came from several different sources), and nothing I've seen contradicts it. Furthermore, with Cuonzo Martin getting $3 mil from Missouri, I imagine that Bennett will be getting a raise at the conclusion of Virginia's season. I think that that hire [Martin's] just raised the bar. Furthermore, if I am not mistaken, the ACC has rule which prohibits member schools from poaching other members' coaches. I know it has happened in the past (UVa lost its track and field coach to UNC several decades ago), but I believe the practice is no longer viable. I could be wrong about that, but it is my understanding.