I'm confused...ACC Network | Syracusefan.com

I'm confused...ACC Network

FreeFries100

Walk On
OK, I guess I just don't get it. What exactly is the ACC Network? My understanding is that in the current state it is a bunch of affiliate stations that carry various ACC member games. But if that is all it is, is that really a network?

Using the Big Ten network as en example, I have Verizon FIOS, and they have a station dedicated to all things Big Ten. Is the ACC Network working toward this same sort of arrangement, but just aren't there yet?

OK, I guess I just don't get it. What exactly is the ACC Network? My understanding is that in the current state it is a bunch of affiliate stations that carry various ACC member games. But if that is all it is, is that really a network?

Using the Big Ten network as en example, I have Verizon FIOS, and they have a station dedicated to all things Big Ten. Is the ACC Network working toward this same sort of arrangement, but just aren't there yet?

It is Raycom Sports Production of ACC football and basketball games that are sold in syndication to a network of affiliate local broadcast television stations and cable sports network channels. It is not its own cable channel.

The ACC is working on creating a cable channel, but for now the Raycom Syndicated Package is what exists outside of the ESPN channels. Raycom has chosen to brand their package as The ACC Network.

It is Raycom Sports Production of ACC football and basketball games that are sold in syndication to a network of affiliate local broadcast television stations and cable sports network channels. It is not its own cable channel.

The ACC is working on creating a cable channel, but for now the Raycom Syndicated Package is what exists outside of the ESPN channels. Raycom has chosen to brand their package as The ACC Network.

To go a bit further on what my colleague says, the games shown on the ACC Network are the ones that fall into the infamous "Tier III Rights". So, instead of having SU and VPI try to come up with the money, equipment, announcers, etc., etc., to broadcast the game, the ACC sold the rights to that game (and others) to RAYCOM who did all that for you. With all these ACC Network games, you just have to hope that a nearby station decides to carry the game. It's a stopgap until the ACC Cable Channel appears.

To go a bit further on what my colleague says, the games shown on the ACC Network are the ones that fall into the infamous "Tier III Rights". So, instead of having SU and VPI try to come up with the money, equipment, announcers, etc., etc., to broadcast the game, the ACC sold the rights to that game (and others) to RAYCOM who did all that for you. With all these ACC Network games, you just have to hope that a nearby station decides to carry the game. It's a stopgap until the ACC Cable Channel appears.
Do you have any idea as to when that might be? That will be awesome when it happens.

Do you Virginia dudes know what role, if any, Raycom will have with an ACC Network going forward? I know Swofford's (who I like don't get me wrong) son is an executive with Raycom and was when they struck their deal a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on the Swofford - Swofford relationship?

Do you have any idea as to when that might be? That will be awesome when it happens.

"In the future", but the future took at least one step closer courtesy of the Noles on Monday night.

Do you Virginia dudes know what role, if any, Raycom will have with an ACC Network going forward? I know Swofford's (who I like don't get me wrong) son is an executive with Raycom and was when they struck their deal a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on the Swofford - Swofford relationship?
Conflict of interest.

Do you Virginia dudes know what role, if any, Raycom will have with an ACC Network going forward? I know Swofford's (who I like don't get me wrong) son is an executive with Raycom and was when they struck their deal a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on the Swoffod - Swofford relationship?

What I can see happening is that Raycom and the cable channel will split games like ABC/ESPN2 do for the Saturday 3:30 football games. To create an example, NCSU is playing Miami at the same time SU is playing BC. Both games will be broadcast, with the Network covering the closer one and the cable covering the other. So in CNY, the Utica channel will have SU-BC, while the cable has NCSU-UM and in NC and FL, the local stations will have NCSU-UM and the cable will have SU-BC.

Should take another step closer in early April... thanks to 'Cuse...

Kidding

But hopefully I'm not.

Defintely the UVa-Cuse double overtime final won on the Joe Harris 3-pointer after he got open using the "elevator screen" will speed things up.

"In the future", but the future took at least one step closer courtesy of the Noles on Monday night.
So when we win the title this year, meaning the ACC is the dominant conference of 2013-14, it'll be awfully hard for it to NOT become a legitimate cable channel a la the Big Ten Network.

Defintely the UVa-Cuse double overtime final won on the Joe Harris 3-pointer after he got open using the "elevator screen" will speed things up.
Who's Joe Harres?

Hoping something happens real soon. The TV coverage or lack there of for the # 2 team in the country is absurd. Watching that game last night in standard definition was awful. At the beginning of the game, they said the HD broadcast was provided by some sponsor, and if that's the case, why was I only able to watch the game in SD? I honestly have no idea how these things work, so if someone could elaborate I'd appreciate it.

Given the tepid reaction by SAT/cable providers to the Pac-12 Network and the Longhorn Network, which are "real" stations in the traditional sense of the word, I think anyone who doesn't live smack dab in ACC country should fear the day this comes to fruition.

Don't know what role Raycom may have. Some have speculated that they may become the ACC Channel since they have the ACC Network Studio up and running for the ACC Digital Network already, and they already have the production teams to go to the sites and broadcast the games. They are located next door physically to ESPNU in Charlotte, and their sports division is almost exclusively ACC already. That would have to be sorted out between ESPN, Raycom, and the ACC.

Raycom also owns a good number of Television Stations around the country. I imagine that this part of Raycom would spin off and remain Raycom.

When there is an ACC Channel on cable, it can only show one game at a time, where do the other games go? Will they still be on things like ESPN3? What if they are on the ACC Channel but your cable provider doesn't buy that channel? Will the games be available somehow?

Does anyone else crave Bojangles chicken and biscuits? It's Bo time!

It's good stuff, but that raises a question about the traditional Raycom advertisers for the ACC games. Typically NAPA Auto Parts, Bojangles, Chick Fil-A, BB&T Bank, and Food Lion Supermarkets are the advertisers. They all have good presence in the traditional ACC areas, but now that the ACC has added New York, Pennsylvania, and Indiana, I'm not sure these businesses are located in those states. It will be interesting to see if some new businesses from the new states start advertising on the ACC Network.

It's good stuff, but that raises a question about the traditional Raycom advertisers for the ACC games. Typically NAPA Auto Parts, Bojangles, Chick Fil-A, BB&T Bank, and Food Lion Supermarkets are the advertisers. They all have good presence in the traditional ACC areas, but now that the ACC has added New York, Pennsylvania, and Indiana, I'm not sure these businesses are located in those states. It will be interesting to see if some new businesses from the new states start advertising on the ACC Network.

I would think so. I've seen one Food Lion (in Roanoke) and never even heard of Bojangles.

While I'm not sure if it's in Syracuse yet, chick fil a has been creeping as far north as Ohio. Thank god.

I know I miss Time Warner Cable having the rights to show all SU games on the TW Sports Channel that were not on ESPN or another major network.
Always knew where to find the SU games that past few years.
TW Cable in the Albany, NY area still seems to have all the non-network games on TV, it's just a mystery each time figuring out what channel it's going to be on.

I would think so. I've seen one Food Lion (in Roanoke) and never even heard of Bojangles.

While I'm not sure if it's in Syracuse yet, chick fil a has been creeping as far north as Ohio. Thank god.

I just checked. There are no Food Lions in New York. Their 1300 stores are primarily Maryland/Delaware and south. There is 1 Chick Fil A in New York State. It is on the campus of NYU in Manhattan. Chick Fil A has Pennsylvania covered, so maybe they are on their way to New York. Bojangles has 1 location in Pennsylvania in Reading. None in New York.

Well maybe someone like Tim Hortons will start advertizing with Raycom. Everyone in the South will think "Who the heck is this?" Too funny.

I actually thought of Tim Hortons when I made my post...basically our Bojangles.

Does anyone else crave Bojangles chicken and biscuits? It's Bo time!

I've been to Bojangles. They couldn't understand that I wanted pop with my meal and not tea. I even said "Coke" like they'all say it and they still charged me extra for the pop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom