I'm curious as to how last night's game affected the casual fan | Syracusefan.com

I'm curious as to how last night's game affected the casual fan

Eric15

Living Legend
You have to figure there were 5-10k SU fans in the Dome last night who were either giving SU football a try for the first time, or were returning to the Dome after a fair-weather hiatus to be part of the Dino-excitement.

When they were leaving the Dome, they were either thinking (a) we got destroyed and I'm not coming back for more of this, or (b) even though we lost that was such an incredible atmosphere, and I want to still be a part of this going forward. I pray it's more column B than A.

It makes me lose interest. I will not be scared of any future outcomes as my expectations have adjusted downward.

The casual fan was ready to leave when we went down 21. They were expecting it.

Sadly IMHO the environment turns the casual fan off more than the product. Deep down casuals and diehards knew last night's outcome before kickoff.

Despite the outcome and some people not being happy with the concourses it was a great atmosphere and a great day for tailgating. I’m sure it’ll be tougher to get people there for noon starts and we are about to see a bunch of them.

You know that? We had 4 casuals in front of us because the ticket holders couldn’t make it. They were having a blast. Never heard them say we would definitely lose nor did the leave very early.
did you ask if they were coming back for western mich? That’s a better measuring stick.

In the span of a few plays we went from a possible 17-13 to 24-6. Absolutely crushing and the stadium emptied pretty quickly at that point.

I was at Italian fest earlier today and ran into several “casuals” who were at the game. While I was waiting for my kids to take a picture with Otto I struck up a few conversations and the general sentiment is same old Syracuse is back. They loved the pregaming but they came for the opponent. Last season did a lot to reignite interest from the casuals but the last 2 weeks has all but erased those gains. There’ll be 42k announced next week and maybe 30 actually in the seats.

I’m as disappointed as anyone because we need those casuals and bandwagons to fill the place.

Most casuals don’t go if they expect to lose. They go hoping to win and be part of something. And if they announce 42 next week but there are only 30, what does that have to do with casuals? I don’t know what you’re using as a definition of casual.

I'm a casual fan. I've been with this crew before the days of SUFan.com, although no one knows me because I do not post much. I am an alumni and I love following SU sports. To be honest, I don't get caught up with all the drama around our sports programs. I did have expectations based on what we accomplished last year, but I am also pragmatic about things and I did not ever think we'd ever challenge the ACC crown or be in the College Football Playoff conversations. We're only a few years removed from some poor season performances. We have a young team and I look forward to how this team will use this season's experiences to grow up. I look forward to how these young men develop over the course of this season and to the next. This is college sports, its all about young players developing and is why I continue to watch SU Sports, win or lose, I am- casually - interested in the young people representing our University develop and grow. And in that respect, they have my support.

I'm a casual fan. I've been with this crew before the days of SUFan.com, although no one knows me because I do not post much. I am an alumni and I love following SU sports. To be honest, I don't get caught up with all the drama around our sports programs. I did have expectations based on what we accomplished last year, but I am also pragmatic about things and I did not ever think we'd ever challenge the ACC crown or be in the College Football Playoff conversations. We're only a few years removed from some poor season performances. We have a young team and I look forward to how this team will use this season's experiences to grow up. I look forward to how these young men develop over the course of this season and to the next. This is college sports, its all about young players developing and is why I continue to watch SU Sports, win or lose, I am- casually - interested in the young people representing our University develop and grow. And in that respect, they have my support.
Sorry, can't process posts that are this balanced and mature. ;)

J/k. Post more. Lurk less.

It turns the casual fan off. They want to be part of something when it's good to say they were there. They won't be there for the bad. Going 3-2 is very important as to not lose them and the students, many of whom would rather get pissy drunk in Walnut Park and Castle Court than go to the game. The fan apathy will begin to set in if it hasn't already.

I’m not a casual fan in that I’ve had season tickets since the 90s (with a Grob depression subtracting a couple years from that). Anyway, I hurt and complain in the moment, and I get as frustrated as anyone. But when the heat wears off, I remember that it’s always worse for the players, the coaches, and their families, I keep it in perspective that way. And with the atmosphere of “family” that HCDB has installed, I sometimes feel ashamed of the some of the thoughts in my head. By the time I’m in my truck, I’m grateful for a fun fall day and looking forward to the next game.

I don’t know what you’re using as a definition of casual.
everone has their own opinion but I’d say casual is anyone that doesn’t make SU football a priority every weekend. The diehards try to be at the dome or catch the game on tv... or they DVR if kids stuff comes first. They make sure the wife’s social calendar doesn’t cause a conflict. There’s the diehards and there’s everyone else. The casuals are the market that might go to a game or two depending on what’s trending. If futility goes on for too long some diehards begin to detach and become casuals and vice versa. Each person’s circumstances are a bit more nuanced but that’s my general theory of fandom.