Im curious if any one can remember? | Syracusefan.com

Im curious if any one can remember?

Bambrewer

Dad of CWB champion #24
Working on something and I am curious if anyone can remember specific players that lost stars after committing to Syracuse. Also if you can remember any player gaining stars after committing to Syracuse. I know the recent ones but Im looking for 2014 and back.

I'm also curious about this. And in particular if there are links from before/after that show the discrepancy.

If I remember correctly I believe Marquise Blair was bumped up to a 4 star after he was committed to Syracuse. I believe Marquis Spruill was too. Must be the name. As far as losing stars, honestly there are too many to name it seems like it happens to a good chunk of every recruiting class we sign. After a player commits to us there is a good chance they're losing a star.

Thats what i keep hearing and but Its very hard without specific names to find stars prior to the drop. I need the names so I can go back and look at news articles from when they were offered.

Wayne Morgan comes to mind.

We need to focus on one site. If it's Rivals, so be it - that would be my preference. If you're trying to establish a pattern, focusing on all the sites is just going to confuse things.

The bigger issues I had with Rivals during the 2002-2006 or so range and then Skout from 2007-2011 wasn't so much that SU recruits were getting downgraded, it was moreso that there was systemic bias towards BC recruits at Rivals due to Mike Farrel and then Pitt recruits at Skout due to Bob L. And I can show you some specific examples of that.

Not so much losing a star on the recruiting sites. But for example the top 50 NJ lists. Preseason list has the kids in one place, as they start committing to 'Cuse, the updated lists slide them further and further down the list.

We need to focus on one site. If it's Rivals, so be it - that would be my preference. If you're trying to establish a pattern, focusing on all the sites is just going to confuse things.
I would definitely look at Rivals.

Working on something and I am curious if anyone can remember specific players that lost stars after committing to Syracuse. Also if you can remember any player gaining stars after committing to Syracuse. I know the recent ones but Im looking for 2014 and back.
Qaadir Sheppard. Dohn knocked him down a star as soon as he selected Syracuse over his beloved Rutgers program.

rovals. Adly Enoicy knocked down from 4 to 2. I believe I have a screen of it. I'll have to dig

sutomcat said:
Qaadir Sheppard. Dohn knocked him down a star as soon as he selected Syracuse over his beloved Rutgers program.

Yep. And was quoted as saying he liked Rutgers class better (and up to that point we were ahead of them by the #'s). So like a good Rutgers shill he drops a kid to 2. Crazy. And Sheppard is a nice recruit.

Ok I believe I have found most of what has happened. Between jeke and I reviewing the last 5 years of players and stars before and after committing/ signing with Cuse, there are actually only a few cases where the stars were actually dropped. Washington and Morgan being the most obvious. In the case of 4 star players like them it seems they dropped them after committing. In most other cases it seems more the rivals trend was to not rate them prior To The commitment and the. They come in lower on 3 star players. Back in 2012 and earlier it seems they pretty much across the board went one star lower on anyone committing here. So while the perception is they are dropping players because they come here for the most part they don't drop the players they just don't haVe them ranked. The last couple years there have been two cases of dropping but that was all I could find and I spent a ton of time reading old article and searching for stars info. This was just rovals I reviewed as this was the Site most people have said do this.

Bambrewer said:
Ok I believe I have found most of what has happened. Between jeke and I reviewing the last 5 years of players and stars before and after committing/ signing with Cuse, there are actually only a few cases where the stars were actually dropped. Washington and Morgan being the most obvious. In the case of 4 star players like them it seems they dropped them after committing. In most other cases it seems more the rivals trend was to not rate them prior To The commitment and the. They come in lower on 3 star players. Back in 2012 and earlier it seems they pretty much across the board went one star lower on anyone committing here. So while the perception is they are dropping players because they come here for the most part they don't drop the players they just don't haVe them ranked. The last couple years there have been two cases of dropping but that was all I could find and I spent a ton of time reading old article and searching for stars info. This was just rovals I reviewed as this was the Site most people have said do this.

Thanks, Bam. That's a fair amount of detective work.

A

The bigger issues I had with Rivals during the 2002-2006 or so range and then Skout from 2007-2011 wasn't so much that SU recruits were getting downgraded, it was moreso that there was systemic bias towards BC recruits at Rivals due to Mike Farrel and then Pitt recruits at Skout due to Bob L. And I can show you some specific examples of that.

And then you had John Dohn from Rutgirls who would overate theirs and cut ours all the time. Still an assclown on the same level as bud.

But BAM, I think most of crap happened many years before your search history chase. Fans just never forget at times and hold onto the past. I think it was just a regional thing where opposing team coverage guys from the other sites had too much leverage in the final ratings.

I think from all my reading it was more they just disrespect the Syracuse commits. They don't drop them they just never rate them high. When I wouLd find a recruits early story ( pre commit) some sites would say 3 stars. The. Rivals would rate them having never done so before and say 2 stars. In the 12 11 10 years it was almost across the board the case. I couldn't find any case other than the few I mentioned where rivals rated a kid then took it away. Maybe the years before 2010 it happened but I had trouble finding articles on kids precommit prior to 2009

I think from all my reading it was more they just disrespect the Syracuse commits. They don't drop them they just never rate them high. When I wouLd find a recruits early story ( pre commit) some sites would say 3 stars. The. Rivals would rate them having never done so before and say 2 stars. In the 12 11 10 years it was almost across the board the case. I couldn't find any case other than the few I mentioned where rivals rated a kid then took it away. Maybe the years before 2010 it happened but I had trouble finding articles on kids precommit prior to 2009

Not doubting your detective work--thanks for doing that, by the way--but why would a prospect be given a three star designation before they were rated?

No I mean the other sites would have them at 3 stars and rivals would have no rating they would get the offer and rivals would have to rate them... Then rivals would give them a 2 star rating

It's my opinion that Rivals tends to rate kids from smaller schools a bit more harshly. Also, Rivals seem to rate kids from the South more favorably than kids from the NE or Midwest. Unless, of course, the kid is offered by a bunch of SEC schools and commits to one. That seems to bump him up a star.

retro44 said:
A And then you had John Dohn from Rutgirls who would overate theirs and cut ours all the time. Still an assclown on the same level as bud. But BAM, I think most of crap happened many years before your search history chase. Fans just never forget at times and hold onto the past. I think it was just a regional thing where opposing team coverage guys from the other sites had too much leverage in the final ratings.

The many years we spent at the other 2 sites, I'm the one that talked to those guys all the time. With the exception of 1 person I never got the sense that stars for Syracuse recruits were screwed with just because they were a Syracuse kid. So many years ago it happened all the time is wrong. And when we were there, Dohn was at ucla then came to the Rutgers site as its publisher and had nothing to do with the star ratings. He has since moved up the chain and is now a regional guy but that falls into Bams timeline, not before it.

When a kid is leaning towards us they would give him a two star knowing that he is going to eventually commit to SU. As for scout, Dohn only gave 3 stars to Fredericks and Perkins to keep us quiet for awhile. Normally he would 2 star kids like them. But he jabbed us from behind by taking away a star from Sheppard after a much more productive year as a senior.

I would definitely look at Rivals.
Rutgers got commits from Mack and Bah who collectively have 3 offers a piece. Mack had a SU offer, others from Uconn and Wagner. For rivals, those two are rated the same as our RB commit who has 40 offers from major P5 schools. Rutgers commit Mohamed Jabbie is a 3 star with only one offer. So I guess Jabbie and RW are players of the same quality. Oh and on top of that they took away a star from Degeorge. Went from 3 to 2 after he commited to SU.

I remember that Whigham was originally a 3 star safety originally on Scoot. They reclassified him to corner and took away a star.

I also recall Malcolm Cater got a pretty good bump during a time when it looked like he was wavering in coming to Cuse and was coincidentally had visited Butgers a few times around that timeframe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom