I'm Delighted with Red's Portal | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I'm Delighted with Red's Portal

If we had money to attempt getting Kadary, we have money to go after another guard. Why would we stop just because we missed on Kadary? This only sucks if we are tapping out. If we are tapping out on the portal entirely then this is a complete and total failure, but we are probably not done.
We didn’t even pursue Kadary until he showed interest in us. He called us first apparently, not the other way around. Which if true is mind-boggling and very disappointing.

He inherited a stale program and really hasn't done much to get people excited. His Gmac replacement hasn't moved the needle. We don't seem to have a great recruiter on staff.
Agree, he is not blameless, he will have to generate excitement by incremental success on the court, bringing in big name transfers will not be the way he can do that at this point

I agree. I don't this next year's team beats this years team in a matchup. I hope I am wrong and the puzzle comes together but I think we're in trouble.
guys this is a TEAM SPORT

last year's team had some decent 1 on 1 selfish players...

maliq was the only player that was a good team basketball player last year and he had a lot of holes in his game.

this year's team is already way better than last year's its not even funny

i'm honestly shocked that people cant see that

like, what were you watching??????

no one on last year's team was capable of playing team basketball!

they couldnt even run plays. took them 4 months to figure out how to score for 1 half of every game...and they got blown out to close the season.

the defense was pathetic. CONSTANT breakdowns. CONSTANTLY gett abused on the glass. giving up immediately whenever they were dwn double digits.

last year's team had negative character.

no mas.

its addition by subtraction.

also a chance they add more good players to the roster.

Let’s be real, I’d give Red a C for his offseason portal net activity so far. I can’t definitively say next year’s team will be better. I also can’t definitively say it will be worse. Program feels a bit directionless right now. Not a lot of excitement. I guess we’ll just need to see if things pan out next year, but it’s starting to feel like more of the same that we’ve seen in the past decade. This was always the risk with Red.

Red is in a tough spot. He inherited a very stale program. Stale programs don’t get a boost in NIL money unless a guy like Fran Brown comes into the picture, and there are very few of those out there in any sport. Red will have to get this program moving forward and back into the tourney without the cash to bring in high end transfers like Kadary.
He was in a tough spot when he got the job, do you keep the "greatest Syracuse class of all time" together or do you build something else.

Last season didn't make us worse but not better and this coming year is looking like a lot of the same.

Is it going to be, grab a couple of guys and throw them against the wall every year and hope we do well enough during the year so we can get hot in March?

You don't make it easier on yourself when the only two starters you keep are your worst two defenders and one of them may be one of the most one dimensional players in the history of the game.

He was in a tough spot when he got the job, do you keep the "greatest Syracuse class of all time" together or do you build something else.

Last season didn't make us worse but not better and this coming year is looking like a lot of the same.

Is it going to be, grab a couple of guys and throw them against the wall every year and hope we do well enough during the year so we can get hot in March?

You don't make it easier on yourself when the only two starters you keep are your worst two defenders and one of them may be one of the most one dimensional players in the history of the game.
He also may be the best pure shooter in college basketball. You just accidentally left that part out. Devo was one of the worst defensive players that played at SU. How many passes did he ever make to get a teammate open? It’s funny how people forget some of the warts some of our better players had.

He also may be the best pure shooter in college basketball. You just accidentally left that part out. Devo was one of the worst defensive players that played at SU. How many passes did he ever make to get a teammate open? It’s funny how people forget some of the warts some of our better players had.
It's a shame you can have such an elite talent and can't figure out how to dribble, pass or create any of your own offense.

Eric was an awful defender, Bell is far worse and it isn't even close. Please don't compare the two players, Bell isn't close to the player Eric was.

It's a shame you can have such an elite talent and can't figure out how to dribble, pass or create any of your own offense.

Eric was an awful defender, Bell is far worse and it isn't even close. Please don't compare the two players, Bell isn't close to the player Eric was.
Bell has a decent shot to play in the NBA if he keeps improving. He is longer than Eric, more athletic and an elite shooter. Eric was a 2G its comparing Apples to Oranges

Bell has a decent shot to play in the NBA if he keeps improving. He is longer than Eric, more athletic and an elite shooter. Eric was a 2G its comparing Apples to Oranges
What is Bell improving on?

Bell has athletic ability, the problem the first 2 years is he hasn't done 2 main things that are part of a small forwards game. Defense and rebounding, until he fixes those 2 things he is a negative for the team.

We did grab Freeman, it's the portal turnover that seems to be bigger. Don't know why we lose more than gain.
Portal is 75% of the equation now. Coaches need to be salesmen, charismatic grinders and extortionists all in one package.

Let’s be real, I’d give Red a C for his offseason portal net activity so far. I can’t definitively say next year’s team will be better. I also can’t definitively say it will be worse. Program feels a bit directionless right now. Not a lot of excitement. I guess we’ll just need to see if things pan out next year, but it’s starting to feel like more of the same that we’ve seen in the past decade. This was always the risk with Red.
The fan base has been very, very patient. I feel like the AD is taking it for granted that we’ll continue to draw 18k every night because we don’t know what else to do in the winter.

I really struggle to see the Bell love sometimes. The guy can knock it down with the best of them. There is no denying that. But there is more to basketball than standing at the 3 point line waiting for the ball to get passed to you. He can’t dribble, he can’t pass, he doesn’t move without the ball, he doesn’t rebound, he doesn’t play defense, and half the time he is pouting if his shot isn’t going in. He literally plays 1/8 of the game of basketball.

I know this sounds harsh, but it’s reality. It does seem like a switch might have went off 3/4 through the year with his attitude and he started to do a little more in the rebounding and defense category. But a lot of you are drooling over this kid that has way entirely too much film of him just not trying. Red believes in him. Let’s see if he continues to get the most out of Bell and is able to unlock more. Bell has to buy in. Red is putting a lot of apples into the basket. I assume in both keeping him a big part of the team, and as rumored in NIL money.

One of the plays from that team was Flynn to Eric who didn't catch it , but tapped the ball to Andy who had broken free for an open three.

Devo averaged over 3 assists per game in his SU career. Bell is averaging .5

Yes, that's POINT 5

I really struggle to see the Bell love sometimes. The guy can knock it down with the best of them. There is no denying that. But there is more to basketball than standing at the 3 point line waiting for the ball to get passed to you. He can’t dribble, he can’t pass, he doesn’t move without the ball, he doesn’t rebound, he doesn’t play defense, and half the time he is pouting if his shot isn’t going in. He literally plays 1/8 of the game of basketball.

I know this sounds harsh, but it’s reality. It does seem like a switch might have went off 3/4 through the year with his attitude and he started to do a little more in the rebounding and defense category. But a lot of you are drooling over this kid that has way entirely too much film of him just not trying. Red believes in him. Let’s see if he continues to get the most out of Bell and is able to unlock more. Bell has to buy in. Red is putting a lot of apples into the basket. I assume in both keeping him a big part of the team, and as rumored in NIL money.
And if we let him walk and he lit it up for another team Red would get killed on here by the same posters. It is what it is. We have to hope players make strides as they get older and more experienced. I know NIL and the portal have changed the game, but seeing year to year improvement out of players can and does still happen. Bell is still just going into his Jr. year. I don't disagree that what we need out of him may be asking for too much growth, but all we can do is let the coaches coach, or donate a mill to NIL.

Bell also doesn't turn the ball over, but I guess if you shoot every time you touch it, that's not going to be a problem.

If all he wants to do is shoot, that's great, but I hope Red can land him on the bench when he's not doing other stuff. Occasional rebounding or defensive plays or other things are required.

Just hope the team can get back to the tourney and out of the purgatory of not being relevant.

Kev

Devo is an all league defender compared to what we have been trotting out there for years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom