I'm in on Taylor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in on Taylor

Never want to give up on a kid and hope it clicks. That said if it does not I hope Benny finds a good mid major he can be a go to guy at and finishes his college career on a big positive. He just seems to have the same struggles Moyer did.. not the same players but the same inability to have a good game and then replicate it. Benny is a better talent of course but the mental aspect is just not there.
He’d look great in a Wichita State uni

I agree, but he’s in position to get rebounds and doesn’t come down with them. He has to find a way.
Doesn't look like that's going to happen for him down low on the blocks. He's just not athletic enough or has enough hops. Let him play the 2 and he'll excel.

I like Taylor's game. He's very composed for a freshman. Can certainly shoot, gets some rebounds, plays good positional defense. Most freshmen look lost in the zone and where they are supposed to be but he doesn't. Bell can shoot the 3 and has plus athleticism. His problem is he's 175 lbs playing the front line. He needs to add weight and get stronger. I hope he sticks it out because as he gains strength he'll be much better. You can't really expect a 175 lb kid to be good under the boards. The staff continues to recruit skinny kids and the thinner they are the longer it takes for them to fill out and play better.
Most 17 year old freshmen are skinny coming out of HS. But, skinny has nothing to do with shooting. Girard III, who also played football got some weight training and wasn't as skinny as our usual incoming recruits.

If you look at some of the forwards coming in they avg around 6' 8" 210lbs. Not exactly chiseled

Benny is way better than Moyer. Benny is frustratingly inconsistent and, yes can go brain dead, but he’s just a sophomore. He needs to toughen up and sharpen up mentally. But I believe he’ll become more consistent and will be a key player for us as the season goes on.
Moyer is better with the fiddle.
Both Justin and Chris are 2's. Not only is it obvious but JB has even said so.

Happy birthday! We'll be expecting stories.
Happy Birthday. I was really looking forward to my 44th year, given the meaning behind the number.

Then COVID happened.
Thanks guys, yeah, I really limit my drinking and extra curricular activities these days, probably not going to do much. Think I reached my quota last weekend.

Taylor looks to be a real good shooter. He also shows poise. He has got to come down with rebounds. He missed a couple tonight that hurt. If he can’t get it, he needs to try and tip it to a teammate.
Think he bounced one off of jesses head

Never want to give up on a kid and hope it clicks. That said if it does not I hope Benny finds a good mid major he can be a go to guy at and finishes his college career on a big positive. He just seems to have the same struggles Moyer did.. not the same players but the same inability to have a good game and then replicate it. Benny is a better talent of course but the mental aspect is just not there.
Benny needs to stop shooting jumpers.

He should expend more energy on the defensive end.

When he gets the ball, he should put the ball on the floor and drive, with a goal to score a 2 or pass away if nothing is there.

He is a forward trying to shoot his way out of a shooting guard's game, and it is very frustrating to watch.

I like him because he tries, but his mistakes all seem mental. If its not an outright mistake he is making, which really didn't happen too much, bad things just happen when he is in.

Benny needs to stop shooting jumpers.

He should expend more energy on the defensive end.

When he gets the ball, he should put the ball on the floor and drive, with a goal to score a 2 or pass away if nothing is there.

He is a forward trying to shoot his way out of a shooting guard's game, and it is very frustrating to watch.

I like him because he tries, but his mistakes all seem mental. If its not an outright mistake he is making, which really didn't happen too much, bad things just happen when he is in.

I think Benny believes and plays like he’s a 6’9” shooting guard, possibly a 3 in a pinch but doesn’t play anything like a power forward, at least in my crazy opinion. He’s athletic but not physical and seems to want to hang on the perimeter. Really hope he figures it out.

I think we need to see his run extended a bit as the games get tougher. He is finding his way like all the Frosh are but he seems to make a big steal (had a tip from behind last night), and just seems more advanced at the little things. Successful players impact the game more than just making shots and he seems to find a play or two in his limited minutes, and we can't erase the night he carried us offensively.

Not sure what Bell's upside is over JT but if we are voting I am in the boat of giving JT a chance to play thru some mistakes.
If you look, there is no category in which the stats for Bell v Taylor are significantly different.

Basically, they are twinsies out there and the only issue is for Jimmy to find the hot hand, which he is doing a pretty good job at between those two. The category with the biggest difference is points, where Bell outscores Justin by 1.4 PPG and Justin's average may even be skewed a bit high by his 25 pointer against a patsie.

If you look, there is no category in which the stats for Bell v Taylor are significantly different.

Basically, they are twinsies out there and the only issue is for Jimmy to find the hot hand, which he is doing a pretty good job at between those two. The category with the biggest difference is points, where Bell outscores Justin by 1.4 PPG and Justin's average may even be skewed a bit high by his 25 pointer against a patsie.

Traditional stats don’t tell the story here. The team plays much better with Taylor on the court over Bell. Don’t believe me just look at Taylors per 100 possession metrics and Plus/Minus metrics.

Lots of teams have a guy like Bell on offense who just hangs around outside and requires the ball to show up when he is open. The issue is that he just rarely does the 2nd thing on offense which is go get rebounds when the ball doesnt find him. He did mix it up a few times which is good to see

Traditional stats don’t tell the story here. The team plays much better with Taylor on the court over Bell. Don’t believe me just look at Taylors per 100 possession metrics and Plus/Minus metrics.

You raise a good point, but my counterpoint is in the advanced metrics there is a huge difference between Brown v Benny, and for much of the season Bell's advanced metric stats may have been skewed by playing all those minutes with Benny.

My only point is that I like both players and I think it is much more of a hot hand issue than it is an issue of one guy being particularly better or worse than the other guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom